Talk

Advanced search

Can Dad go on cruise with broken arm?

(8 Posts)
1legmummy Mon 18-Aug-08 10:59:30

My Dad is going on a cruise in two weeks with p & o, but he broke his arm yesterday and has to have it pinned today.

Will he be able to travel?

LIZS Mon 18-Aug-08 11:00:55

Is he flying ? As long as no complications I think it is probably ok .

1legmummy Mon 18-Aug-08 11:07:50

He is not flying. But Doctor said might not be able to travel.

I am gutted - he was putting a conservatory up for us.

jojoisamum Tue 19-Aug-08 11:25:57

He'll probably need a fit to travel letter for P&O but if you are in doubt someone on www.cruisecritic.co.uk (go to the P&O forum) will be able to assist you.

nannyL Tue 19-Aug-08 20:54:25

i dont see why not

a couple of people on my last cruise ship broke their arms (and someone else badly broke their ankle) they all continued with their cruises along with their broken limbs

the DRs aboard can deal with anything (and they even have freezers to freeze dead bodies for when people die aboard shock)

if they tell the ship they might be able to allocate a disable room so he has more room> worth an ask

tissy Tue 19-Aug-08 21:01:06

Depends what they did, and where he is going.

If the pins are still outside the skin (but under the cast), they will need to be removed in 2 - 3 weeks, which means he will be away when he needs to have them removed. The ship's doctor (if such a thing exists) couldn't do this, and it would risk bone infection to leave them in until he returns.

If the pins are under the skin, then the risk of infection is lower, but if he should get a wound infection (not as bad as a bone infection) he would still need antibiotics.

Your father needs to ask the Consultant in charge of the case if he can go- a junior doctor may not have a clue. The consultant wil also be able to complete an Insurance claim form if the holiday does need to be cancelled.

1legmummy Tue 19-Aug-08 22:21:40

oh Tissy, we got told that he could go when we visited tonight.

BUT he does have the pins outside the skin (gross)

This has now cast another doubt in my mind

Thanks though will double check he is being discharged tomorrow x

nannyL Tue 19-Aug-08 22:45:41

also ships Drs are VERY expensive

if you get ill while aboard its all covered under your holiday insurance but i cant imagine the insurance would cover having it removed when you knew it was going to happen (but then should cover refunding the cost of the cruise?)

of course as well as the Dr you pay for all the medication and equipment as well.... even in british water (and british ports) the ships Drs are NOT covered with NHS (and for those with denplan that covers you all over the workd it does NOT cover cruise ships either, as i sepeciafaccly asked last time I was abaord.... my teeth are covered anywhere in the world except aboard a cruise ship!)

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now