Talk

Advanced search

First time cruise where to go

(20 Posts)
Mushybanna23 Thu 05-Oct-17 12:11:36

Want warm weather for a week minimum. No budget but would like value for money both mid twentys so want lots of activities good food and to go early next year am I to late

Mushybanna23 Tue 10-Oct-17 11:00:52

?

SleepingStandingUp Tue 10-Oct-17 11:01:56

Well i'd say Norway but can't promise much difference to English weather

chasingdaisy2 Tue 10-Oct-17 13:27:56

Definitely Royal Caribbean! Me and DP (26 & 29) have been on Oasis of the Seas doing Eastern Caribbean last year and the year before. We are now going on Liberty of the Seas doing Western Caribbean on 29th October and doing 2 back to back, so staying on for a second week.

Have a look on their site at all ships and itineraries you fancy. They are amazing fun!

Mushybanna23 Tue 10-Oct-17 14:53:12

Was looking at Royal Caribbean with the biggest ship they do can’t remember name does anyone recomend the suits or is a standered rooms ok we would like some space to move Around it and the perks or early boarding and butler service seemed what we where after especially the option to have breakfast in the room is it worth it

paap1975 Tue 10-Oct-17 14:56:28

I'd agree that for you age and interests a Royal Caribbean cruise in the Caribbean is going to be your best fit. Cabins do tend to be small, so if you want space book something bigger, maybe not a suite but a balcony cabin. I've never had a butler and wouldn't know what to do with one. Oh, and you don't have to be in a suite to get room service (unless things have changed). Have fun!

Mushybanna23 Tue 10-Oct-17 15:07:50

Is room service free as in a suit it is

paap1975 Tue 10-Oct-17 15:25:45

Yes, it was when I went. But you should give a tip to the person who delivers it. Bear in mind that cruise ship staff essentially work for tips.

chasingdaisy2 Tue 10-Oct-17 16:13:36

Yes room service is free until midnight and something like $3 service charge afterwards. I have never stayed in a suite (been in one as our friends had one and they are fab!), only a balcony cabin and they are perfect for what you need it for. Still have breakfast on the balcony. You shower & sleep in your cabin that is about it, I personally wouldn't waste money on a suite as they are a fair bit more expensive. Is it Harmony you are looking at?

Mushybanna23 Tue 10-Oct-17 16:28:39

How many nights would you recomend for a first time cruise 14 nights seems like a good amount

chasingdaisy2 Tue 10-Oct-17 17:47:58

Well most sailings are 7 nights. If you wanted to do more you would just book the following week as well. This will be our first back to back. We have previously done a 7 night cruise, followed by a couple weeks in Orlando. Or last year we done 7 night cruise and flew to Cancun for the second week. Those ships left from Ft Lauderdale in Florida. A Miami port could also work with visiting somewhere nearby. Something like that could be an option for you?

Mushybanna23 Tue 10-Oct-17 18:56:06

There’s A 14 night p and o cruise that starts in Barbados and ends in Southampton which is close to home for us seems prefect but what are p and o like

Hellywelly10 Tue 10-Oct-17 19:02:44

I went on p and o. 10 days round the med. Loved it but I think there are more upmarket companies. My parents rave about Costa cruses.

HyacinthBooquet Tue 10-Oct-17 19:16:21

That sounds like the Yacht Club on MSC and to be honest by day 3 I was bored rigid and had left the group of 9 extended family I was with to make more use of the rest of the ship. They were of the impression that because they'd paid for the Yacht Club they should stay in it. It meant they saw next to nothing of anything else going on on board. Yes there were advantages to it. Better meals, private restaurants, lounge facilities, private area on the ship so no crowds, easier boarding, afternoon tea served very nicely, no waiting in crowds to get on and off off the ship in ports, a good amount of laundry included in the price, and your Butler who was there to make your experience all the more enjoyable. I couldn't be bothered with that aspect of it but it could be down to the fact that in the region where I live Butlers are to be found in most good hotels so its not much of a novelty to have one on holiday.

That particular cruise was a back to back round the Western Caribbean out of Miami.

Since then Ive done other cruises, alone, and Ive always gone for a Balcony cabin as anything else would be too stuffy for me. But there is also the fact I love to lie there in the middle of the night with my balcony door open just listening to the waves and watching the storms.

Just a few days ago a friend I made on my first cruise contacted me and asked if I fancied one next summer and Ive said yes but I wont be doing the Yacht Club. She was a bit disappointed because she always does the Yacht Club but I think she'll enjoy being part of the main body of the ship because it really is more lively.

Re tipping, it will automatically added to your bill as a service charge but its nice to tip your waiter something extra if you use room service. You are also expected to tip your Butler on top of your service charge at the end of your cruise. Not that you're told you should but sometimes things dont have to be mentioned to be understood.

paap1975 Tue 10-Oct-17 20:21:55

P&O I think you'll find boring. Costa is not upmarket. If you want upmarket but not crazy expensive look at Celebrity Cruises or Holland America. But if you want plenty of activities and are young, I think you should look for 10-14 days on Royal Caribbean. To me it's your best fit

Mushybanna23 Tue 10-Oct-17 20:45:12

Royal Caribbian does seem the best for activities

Stickerrocks Thu 12-Oct-17 22:51:44

RCI has a lot of activities and very good entertainment in the theatre (Broadway productions of Grease etc) but I hated the shopping mall feel of the ships, the Wetherspoons type pubs & bars and the crammed in restaurants. I travel with a teenager and I struggled to find people to talk to when she went off with her new chums, as it was full of big family groups. These days I go with P&O, but I still find the hard sell of treatments, foot therapy and photos irritating.

loveulotslikejellytots Thu 12-Oct-17 23:16:23

Have a look at Norwegian. We did a cruise in February with them on The Breakaway. Started in New York, went to Florida and then several island around the Bahamas (including the Bahamas).

We had a normal balcony cabin, and it still felt like luxury. You could get rooms service and breakfast in your room for free. You are charged a service charge ($15 per day per person) but tipping is not expected: the service charge covers your tips for the whole trip and it's split between bar staff, waiters, cleaners, chefs etc.

Norwegian also offer All Inclusive which is well worth it. All inclusive on their ships includes all branded alcohol (no local brands even on board) and all cocktails up to $17 (which was probably about 90% of the cocktail menu). The food was out of this world. There was so much choice. I think 12 out of 15 of the restaurants were included in the all inclusive with no premiums to pay. This included a Chinese tepenyaki, Brazilian bbq restaurant, Italian and the buffet restaurant. I'm not a fan of buffets but you couldn't fault the choice on offer.

The entertainment and activities were fab, we were travelling with our 1 year old so it was a different holiday to what you're planning! But well worth a look. I think they have a vip section called The Haven (separate check in, a separate bar and pool I believe and your own lift).

HyacinthBooquet Fri 13-Oct-17 05:35:45

I thoroughly enjoyed my Alaskan cruise on NCL. And I agree that the food is very good. I had Indian breakfasts that were as good as anything Ive tasted in India. If I recall correctly they managed to have a local to the food chef on each station in the Buffet and the chef who made the Indian food was from Goa.

I actually prefer NCL to MSC food wise.

Zoesweet Fri 20-Oct-17 11:43:57

I say anywhere in the Bahamas. I wish I could also go on a cruise in the near future. smile

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now