We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Sharing a cabin with adult DC

(9 Posts)
WandaBack Mon 06-Mar-17 12:55:23

Planning a cruise this summer for three of us. In the past DC have shared a cabin but this time only DS2 is coming with us.
It seems they don't like allocating a cabin to a single occupant and DS could end up in a cupboard in the bilges.
The alternative is to book some kind of family / stateroom and share. I don't want a regular cabin with a bunk as DS is 6'4" and it would be very cramped.
Has anyone done this with a teen?
It would be a Thomson cruise as we've done them before and they suit us.

Sushiqueen Thu 09-Mar-17 14:35:45

We share with our teenage daughter. Different cruise line but the one we went with use a sofa bed instead of a bunk. We had a normal cabin but they only have certain ones they use for a extra person.
We manage but it is quite "cosy" luckily we had a balcony which helped. We also made sure we gave each other space -helped by the fact we often did our own things on sea days so weren't all in the cabin apart from sleeping. Did have to make sure we were all pretty tidy so we had room to walk throughsmile

budgiegirl Thu 09-Mar-17 15:54:16

We did a cruise on the Norwegian Getaway, with 5 of us in one cabin - two teen boys and a 12 year old girl. It took a bit of juggling with beds, but it was absolutely fine, as long as they didn't leave their shoes in the middle of the walk way! No balcony, just a window.

We've also cruised without the kids on the Norwegian Epic, in a balcony cabin, it had a separate sofa bed, and I would say would have been absolutely fine for two adults and a tall teen! They also have solo cabins, although you need to be 21 to book this I think. You could always book it in your name, then put your teen in there, apparently that happens a lot !

WandaBack Thu 09-Mar-17 16:52:00

Thanks for replies. Do you think the sofa beds are long enough? If they don't have an 'end' it can work with feet over hanging.
I do think it would be nicer for him to be a bit cramped in a nice balcony cabin than stuck in a special grotty solo cabin.

budgiegirl Fri 10-Mar-17 08:06:18

i'm not sure how long the sofa beds are to be honest. I did sleep on one and found it fine, but then I'm only 5' 6". But then, even the main double bed is quite short on the Epic. If your DS doesn't mind his feet hanging over a bit, I'm sure he'll be fine. I've (hopefully) attached a picture showing the sofa bed made up.

WandaBack Fri 10-Mar-17 09:00:28

Very helpful!
It does look a bit cosy though.
I've learned to buy beds without footboards and to ring hotels before booking grin.

budgiegirl Fri 10-Mar-17 10:31:06

Yes, cosy is the word! I think the majority of cruise ship cabins are quite tight on space for any more than two people. There is lots of storage though, which helps a bit, and the steward will put the sofa bed away each morning if you ask them to, so there's enough room in the day.

Don't know what your budget is like, but some cruise ships have fantastic suites (at a price!) which are very spacious for 3. Bit beyond my budget though!

limberlost Fri 17-Mar-17 18:03:21

My son had a single cabin on Thomson Dream. It was on a lower deck but I thought it was more spacious than some doubles we have been in.

budgiegirl Sun 19-Mar-17 23:35:41

stuck in a special grotty solo cabin

To be fair, the solo cabins on the Epic look fab! Small, but with a double bed, fancy lighting, quite trendy. Not at all grotty. and usually a good price.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now