P&O Alcohol Policy

(17 Posts)
Oliveek Sun 12-Jun-16 22:25:18

Hi, first post, long term lurker. I've trusted mumsnet advice in everything from parenting to make up, but so far I can't find a thread to help me on this. How much alcohol does P&O consider reasonable to take on board. Thinking for a 12 night cruise 2x box wine, 1 bottle of gin, 1 x vodka and some mixers. Anyone taken more or less on and had any issues. I guess one person's reasonable for 2 weeks is another's annual supply. Can anyone help? wine

bojorojo Sun 12-Jun-16 23:21:29

I bought all drink on board. Maybe you should consider doing this!

RJnomore1 Sun 12-Jun-16 23:22:55

I didn't think you were allowed to take alcohol on cruises. When I've been they took what you bought in port and returned it at the end of the voyage. Not P and O though and a few years ago.

DramaAlpaca Sun 12-Jun-16 23:29:51

My parents cruise regularly with P&O. They take a couple of bottles of spirits with them, but buy their wine on board.

Two boxes of wine sounds a lot to take on board, tbh. See this link:

ask.pocruises.com/help/PO/before-you-sail/alcohol

You could buy a wine package from P&O in advance of your cruise, to be waiting for you in your cabin.

Have you tried searching the forums on www.cruisecritic.com? You might find some useful info there.

Oliveek Mon 13-Jun-16 05:59:29

Thanks Guys. There's just no specifics and I hate uncertainty 😁 Why can't they just say 1 bottle of wine each or something aarrrgghhh !

Penfold007 Mon 13-Jun-16 07:19:34

P&O say 'small reasonable amounts' 4.5 litres of wine and 1.5 litres of spirits plus mixers seems like a lot of alcohol.

thecapitalsunited Mon 13-Jun-16 07:38:59

That's a lot of booze. Are you planning to drink your own wine at dinner each night?

I haven't sailed P&O but I have done a few cruises. I usually take on a bottle of champagne for sailaway (I'm not fond of the free stuff) and a bottle of gin plus mixers for a drink while I'm getting ready for dinner. I have a predinner drink in a bar and buy a bottle of wine for dinner. I don't think I've ever seen anyone bring their own in - the pricing is usually such that by the time you've paid corkage it would be cheaper just to buy a bottle on board.

CoolforKittyCats Mon 13-Jun-16 07:48:41

When are you going to drink all of that?

I think you could get asked about taking on that amount. It certainly wouldn't be counted as 'small amount'.

We cruise with P&O and take a bottle of wine on and buy the rest on board.

Brokenbiscuit Mon 13-Jun-16 07:56:33

We went on a P&O cruise, and I thought the alcohol prices were quite reasonable tbh.

pelirocco123 Mon 13-Jun-16 08:34:04

Cruise critic is probably the best place to ask ( some people on there seem to take similer amounts....remember you probably won't be able to take leftovers off) tbh the drinks on P&O are very reasonable, we were having a very nice bottle of wine last week for £15.50

Oliveek Mon 13-Jun-16 11:24:14

Their drinks menu shows £7.50 for a g&t as I'm Scottish that's not really same as we pay in pubs and as we can take some on thought I'd find out if anyone knew what their reasonable meant - I think a couple of drinks each evening each getting ready for dinner on a 14 night cruise would be considered reasonable, but when you put it down on paper it looks a lot which makes me wary I'd just die getting stopped. Might just put up with the cost instead blush
Thanks everyone x

thecapitalsunited Mon 13-Jun-16 18:10:35

I don't know if you can expect Scottish pub type prices on a cruise. It's more like London hotel type prices. I live in the South East and if I can get a pint for under £4 I consider it to be cheap!

FeckinCrutches Mon 13-Jun-16 18:15:41

There is no way they'll let you take that amount on sorry!

FeckinCrutches Mon 13-Jun-16 18:16:47

Have you not got any onboard credit to spend? I'm sure it's £250 or £125 per cabin at the minute

RJnomore1 Mon 13-Jun-16 18:18:22

Oi

I'm Scottish too and it very much depends which pub you go into!

Dh drinks peroni or moretti so a pint for under £5 is a bonus.

It's not all 99p vodka up here...

GinandJag Mon 13-Jun-16 18:20:22

Usually none. Just get the drinks' package.

thecapitalsunited Mon 13-Jun-16 19:26:49

Well obviously areas popular with tourists or more affluent areas will have more expensive pubs, Scotland or not. I assumed OP was talking about a part of Scotland that was neither of those things.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now