Talk

Advanced search

Cruising when pregnant

(7 Posts)
Nem123 Mon 18-Apr-16 11:58:21

Has anyone had any experience of cruising when pregnant? The whole family is booked on a short 6 day cruise (only the med and at sea for only 2 of the days) for a special occasion, and I am pregnant (after the holiday was booked). I noticed in the small print that you are unable to travel if over 24 weeks pregnant. I will be just over this. I wondered if anyone has had any experience of cruising when pregnant and whether they really check this when you check in. Has anyone been turned away for not having the correct documentation?

shellycooper Mon 18-Apr-16 19:06:25

I cruised last year when 20 weeks pregnant. I did have all the correct documentation but no-one asked to see it at all. There was another passenger who looked significantly more than 24 weeks pregnant who had obviously been allowed on board although I didn't speak to her. I think, though, the 24 weeks is there as a limit as they have no neo natal/infant medical facilities on board so couldn't do anything if you went into labour whilst aboard.

Sirzy Mon 18-Apr-16 19:08:15

If you haven't paid the balance yet you will probably be able to transfer it over to another cruise after the baby is 6 months old.

With p and o my sister was asked to provide a fit to travel note. Also worth remembering if your not supposed to be travelling then your insurance would be void if anything did happen.

ShelaghTurner Mon 18-Apr-16 19:18:35

I travelled transatlantic at 20 weeks pregnant. I had the required letter from the GP but no one ever asked to see it. Only problem for me was that I get appallingly sea sick and couldn't take anything for it so had a miserable time. Since then I've knocked myself out with avomine and it's been great!

Nem123 Wed 20-Apr-16 10:04:49

Thanks for all your responses- v helpful!

WeeM Mon 25-Jul-16 21:44:58

I had to cancel a cruise as I was over 24 weeks pregnant-never really thought of chancing it to be honest! God forbid something happened your insurance probably wouldn't cover you. I was able to claim it on our travel insurance though-there was a clause specifically covering this scenario.

WeeM Mon 25-Jul-16 21:45:53

Sorry I didn't realise this post was so long ago!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now