Talk

Advanced search

Never been on a cruise - best with two teenage boys?

(15 Posts)
whostolethesocks Fri 29-Jan-16 14:51:42

Trying to think of something different to do with my sons this year (14 and 17). Considering a cruise (maybe Mediterranean - not sure). What's the best one for this age group? Any advice please. What sort of prices am I looking at? What should I be considering?

nmg85 Sat 30-Jan-16 15:19:20

What do they like doing? My initial gut reply would be royal caribbean for teenagers due to all the activities onboard.

whostolethesocks Sat 30-Jan-16 19:57:30

Normal teenage boy stuff. One is into football and not that social so may spend more time with me. The other is more social and independent. I did start looking at cruises inc Royal Caribbean and got very confused about what I was paying for and which I should be doing.

nmg85 Sat 30-Jan-16 20:37:05

Right, firstly decide when you might want to go, when you want to travel and what type of cabin(s) you want?

nmg85 Sat 30-Jan-16 20:39:13

*where you might want to go?

whostolethesocks Sat 30-Jan-16 20:40:26

Thanks. Was thinking of a Mediterranean cruise maybe Barcelona/S France/Majorca, etc or Dubrovnik/Italy area. Have to go in the school holidays so seems very expensive so will probably go for cheapest cabin options. Do most include all food but not drinks?

WhoKn0wsWhereTheMistletoes Sat 30-Jan-16 20:51:43

RC include all meals, in both buffet and main restaurants, which are of a fairly high standard, but you can pay extra for speciality restaurants, one of which is a burger bar. Drinks are extra, but you can buy a alcoholic or non-alcoholic packages so you are not having to keep track of your spending (although it is easy to keep track on your cabin TV).

nmg85 Sat 30-Jan-16 21:09:35

Food included but most drinks aren't. Free tea, coffee, water and some soft drinks in buffet.

WhoKn0wsWhereTheMistletoes Sat 30-Jan-16 21:17:42

Yes, and the soft drinks in the buffet aren't coke, lemonade, juice etc, they are iced tea and cloudy lemon squash IIRC.

WhoKn0wsWhereTheMistletoes Sat 30-Jan-16 21:24:44

Actually, I forgot, you could get orange or apple juice in the buffet too IIRC. We didn't have the drinks packages, as we didn't want to completely overindulge (we are not big drinkers of either alcohol or soft drinks). We found we could have a couple of cocktails a day, a glass of wine with dinner and a soft drink or two for the DCs and it still cost less than the packages.

SimonLeBonOnAndOn Sat 30-Jan-16 21:28:25

I was thinking of a med cruise with my 2 teenage sons, was looking at ones that took I in Venice and Ephasis . They decided even that would be boring. Sigh. I still think it would be a good option.

WhoKn0wsWhereTheMistletoes Sat 30-Jan-16 21:33:35

My DCs enjoyed ours, but they were a bit younger (been twice at ages 7 and 9 and then 8 and 10). The younger one wants to go again but the older one isn't keen. They enjoyed some of the sightseeing, but only to the more spectacular places (Gibraltar, Leaning Tower of Pisa, Rome). They can stay on board in the kids clubs while you get off and sightsee, not sure how it works for teens though. We do think they are a good "something for everyone" holiday, sightseeing (organised or DIY) a bit of beach, swimming pool, sports, relaxing by the poolside, spa, entertainment or just relax in a bar in the evening.

nmg85 Sun 31-Jan-16 08:40:30

I have cruised since I was 8 years old... I am now 30 and will be cruising again later this year. I think it can be as expensive as you make it.

Sotaku Sat 20-Feb-16 18:39:51

RC was great, especially with teens. There are club houses for the different age groups. He went to the teen one where he instantly formed a big group of friends and we barely saw him for the rest of the cruise, except for excursions. Even then, there was a port he wasn't interested in so he stayed on the ship with his new mates. I was happy with the drinks that were free at the restaurants and the drink stations dotted around the ship but did get a free pop package for the DC as part of the cruise offer. DS and his mates just got drinks for any of their group who didn't have the pop package though (yes, not actually allowed but no one cared or stopped them from doing it).

The only extras you really have to pay for on RC are tips, which you can pay for at the end in a lump sum payment, and alcohol. We didn't dine in any speciality restaurants since the inclusive one was great with a different menu each night. On days where we didn't feel like eating there, the buffet restaurant was just as popular with all of us.

budgiegirl Sun 21-Feb-16 08:10:54

With teenagers, I think the bigger 'mega' ships are the best way to go. Norwegian Cruises have the Norwegian Epic in Europe which has a great waterpark on board, plus pools, a video arcade, teen lounge, a sports court, films etc. At the moment they've got offers on so you can get free drinks, or internet etc, They sail out of Barcelona.
Also there's the Carnival Vista, which has lots to do on board for teens, including a rope course I believe.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now