Talk

Advanced search

Zika outbreak. Pregnant women advised not to travel to Caribbean and S America.

(4 Posts)
Singingrach28 Mon 18-Jan-16 14:51:26

This is my first post here, so apologies if this has been posted already. We have just heard about the Zika (can lead to v serious birth defects in babies) outbreak in S America and the Caribbean through my sister in the US, where it's headline news. My his fan and I were due to go on a Caribbean cruise for our honeymoon and we've been told we can't be refunded as the UK gov hasn't issued the same warnings not to travel as the CDC (American gov). The reports make very sobering reading. Surely this should be on the news and the government should be informing people?! The foreign office are virtually impossible to get hold of. I've tweeted Simon Calder and he's got back to me saying he will look into it more, but just thought anyone considering booking a holiday or going to that area should know.
Please let me know if you think it would be see more widely elsewhere.
http://wwwnc.cdc.gov/travel/notices/alert/zika-virus-caribbean

Singingrach28 Mon 18-Jan-16 15:24:48

Husband!! Can you edit on here?!

LittlePeasMummy1 Wed 20-Jan-16 16:12:10

Hell travel advice from the UK has now changed.

You can read about it here : www.medicinesinpregnancy.org/Medicine--pregnancy/Zika-virus/

LittlePeasMummy1 Wed 20-Jan-16 16:12:31

That was meant to say hello not hell.....

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now