Talk

Advanced search

Help for a terminally ill friend

(5 Posts)
L16EW Tue 30-Dec-14 22:16:05

I'm wondering if there is anyone out here who can pull strings on transatlantic cruises. My best friend's husband received another dose of bad news just before Christmas. They've been through a lot over the last two years and never let it stop them living life to the full, even though they've coped with all they coped with whilst raising two beautiful children, aged 3 and 2.
High up on his bucket list is a trip to New York. The problem is he can't fly due to blood clots in his lungs. Cruises to New York are expensive. I've contacted charities and cruise companies to see what they can offer/suggest. I've also contacted their local radio station.
Anyone who can help, or offer suggestions on where I go next please get in touch.
Thanks for your time.
Laura

VegasIsBest Wed 31-Dec-14 10:58:33

Sorry no suggestions. But I wonder if he would get travel insurance for such a trip? You certainly wouldn't want to go to the US within insurance.

L16EW Wed 31-Dec-14 14:37:01

I don't know about insurance. It's another thing to look into. Thanks for your comment.

VegasIsBest Wed 31-Dec-14 17:46:46

Another thought about this. Do you know what attracts him to New York and would it be possible to recreate some of that closer to home?

For example, a weekend at a really nice hotel in London with drinks at the top of the Shard would give the feeling of living it up. This might also be easier on him if he is unwell.

L16EW Wed 31-Dec-14 18:39:29

Yes, that is an option I have thought of. And failing plan A that's what we'll do. Currently because he's stopped treatment for the time being he's feeling ok. He could cope with the trip. This is all after consultation with my best friend, his wife. I'm not ploughing on without discussing what he is capable of.
Re the insurance, a company called insurecancer have said they'd insure him. The premium is higher for terminally ill patients but it is possible. His wife has spoken to them about it.
Thanks again for your input.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now