Talk

Advanced search

anyone been on a cruise to Norway?

(11 Posts)
pinkfrocks Tue 29-Jul-14 08:27:44

Thinking of a fjord cruise for next year.
But- is the weather likely to be cold? Has anyone done this type of cruise?

weatherall Tue 29-Jul-14 08:28:42

Marking for interest

westcountrywoman Tue 29-Jul-14 08:40:14

We went two years ago, in mid-May. It was a tad colder than the UK at the same time and quite wet. Going ashore definitely required a light fleece or jumper and a waterproof jacket, with wooly hats for the DC (then aged 2 yrs and baby was 7 months). It didn't rain continuously - we had some dry days and even a warm sunny day on our last port of call. Of course, you're on the ship for most of the time where it is much warmer inside. Deck visits were pleasant as long as you wrapped up as it wasn't crowded and the views amazing. We very much enjoyed it but it is definitely not a summer sun holiday!

pinkfrocks Tue 29-Jul-14 12:32:00

Thanks- that's made me doubt it. I love the idea of travelling through the fjords but I'm not a cold weather person at all. I wonder if they go later in the season- maybe Sept?

ilovemyteddy Tue 29-Jul-14 16:57:02

We went for eight days last September on a fjord cruise. We had one day of torrential rain, but the rest of the time was lovely t-shirt and shorts weather. The scenery is absolutely stunning and the walking was superb. On the one day of rain the ship was docked right next to the town so we donned our wet gear and went for a walk anyway! If the weather is too bad to get off the ship there is usually lots to do on board. And even on the rainy day the temperature wasn't cold.

If the trip you are thinking of includes visits to big towns like Stavanger and Bergen there is plenty to see and do. The smaller places are great for walking, and all have souvenir shops, however everything is very expensive in Norway.

We had a lovely time on our cruise and I would recommend it. It's just so beautiful.

pinkfrocks Wed 30-Jul-14 07:58:29

Thanks- you have inspired me again smile
Yes it is a 7 day cruise including Bergen, Stavanger etc.

ThatBloodyWoman Wed 30-Jul-14 08:00:46

I'd love to!

My parents went on one though (not sure what time of year) and it was pretty misty and murky most of the time so they didn't see a lot (including the aurora borealis).

MaxsMummy2012 Wed 30-Jul-14 08:02:07

My mum and dad have just got back from a cruise on the fjords last week, they took an array of clothing including wet weather and winter clothing and didn't need any of it, they said it was in the mid 20's for 2 weeks they were away ( they tagged a weeks trip to Russia on the end of the fjords) and they had 1 day of drizzle.

pinkfrocks Wed 30-Jul-14 08:33:33

I've been reading up on climate in Norway and they recommend going between July- Sept ( when most Norwegians take their hols) as this is the best time for good weather- though you can't be sure- just like the UK!

Chiana Mon 11-Aug-14 04:03:23

We went a few years ago in August and it was wonderful. I sometimes needed a cardigan because it was windy but it only rained one day.

number1daddy Thu 20-Nov-14 22:45:18

Norway in May/June is amazing

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now