We rely on advertising to keep the lights on.

Please consider adding us to your whitelist.

loader

Talk

Advanced search

Support for families of prisoners

(23 Posts)
drinkswineoutofamug Sat 21-Jan-17 13:09:07

I couldn't find a thread on here, so thought I would start one.
Some of you know that my daughter has been remanded . I had no clue what to pack, money, letters . I had some brilliant responses. Unfortunately my original thread will at some point disappear , 30 day.
In 3 short days I've had so much information and want to be able to share it with other people who loved ones end up sentences to prison. I found it really hard. Didn't know where to turn. I want to be able to past my basic knowledge to other people.

user1485000332 Sat 21-Jan-17 13:14:02

I think if you email mn they can move your original thread to somewhere more permanent for you

drinkswineoutofamug Sat 21-Jan-17 13:14:51

I have done smile

uncoolnn Sat 21-Jan-17 13:15:18

I have no real advice OP, but I just wanted to say I've just read your original thread and you seem like such a fantastic supportive mum to your daughter. Take care flowers

drinkswineoutofamug Sat 21-Jan-17 13:26:54

Daughter is in styal. I was given a list of what they can take. Thought this could be a starting point.

12 tops
6 bottoms
Coat
Hat
3 pjs
17 mixed undies
Dressing gown
3 pairs of shoes
Hair brush
3 plain towels
2 face cloths
Photos

The photos can't have pictures of themselves or victims

drinkswineoutofamug Sat 21-Jan-17 13:51:55

Old thread should be on it's way too !

ItsTimeForDuggee Sat 21-Jan-17 14:01:42

What you can take in to prison depends on the prison you should always check first incase they don't allow it. Some allow you to send radios and things like Xbox etc as well.
If you go to visit always take change with you some allow you to take £5 some £10 so you can get drinks/snacks during visit.
If you want to send money to her inside you have to do it by postal order. It's very hard and it feels like your living in a parallel universe well it did to me anyway flowers op

UnbornMortificado Sat 21-Jan-17 14:42:06

Marking my place.

Have had a good friend incarcerated recently and DD2's dad (not together) thinks it's a holiday home.

I have a bit of experience with Low Newton, Deerbolt, wetherby (young offenders institute) Holme House and Durham.

Happy to share my experiences of it helps anyone else out.

Fab idea drinks.

drinkswineoutofamug Sat 21-Jan-17 14:48:13

Send money

www.gov.uk/send/money/prisoner

You need prison number and name. Can send by debit card straight into their account

drinkswineoutofamug Sat 21-Jan-17 14:48:50

Bollocks wrong address blush

Manumission Sat 21-Jan-17 15:37:52

I've posted this on your other thread drink, but since I'm olacemarking here anyway, it might be useful

[[https://www.turn2us.org.uk/Your-Situation/A-prisoner/Prisoners-on-remand/Introduction]{

Manumission Sat 21-Jan-17 15:38:16

Sorry www.turn2us.org.uk/Your-Situation/A-prisoner/Prisoners-on-remand/Introduction

Natsku Sat 21-Jan-17 15:48:28

My dad is a prison chaplain and from what he's told us, its a good idea to say that you are religious even if you're not because if you ever get put in seg you get a visit from the chaplain every day (think it was every day) so at least you get someone to talk to while in seg. Also they're good people to turn to if you're having some problems.

I've been following your other thread drinks glad you got the information you needed, hope all goes well with your DD.
My brother is facing the possibility of prison right now (though possibly in the US which would be much harder as then we'd never be able to visit him), it is really hard and upsetting to think of a loved one being in prison.

drinkswineoutofamug Sat 21-Jan-17 18:13:08

I've just sent money to her on line. It takes 1 working day to get into their prison account.

Email service is 35p to send 25p to receive . The prisoners can respond for free.

Just need to sort ID for our visit.

catinbooots Sat 21-Jan-17 20:15:14

Hi drinks. Brilliant idea to keep the thread.

I'm glad you are getting things sorted now. DD is very lucky to have you x

drinkswineoutofamug Sat 21-Jan-17 20:34:18

I have my moments cat . If it's right advice for me, there's plenty others who could us it too.

Carollocking Sat 21-Jan-17 22:59:19

Very glad you are getting great help in here,your a very special mum and I hope one day she realises how much you are there for her

bookwormish Sun 22-Jan-17 14:38:33

Hi drinks, I read your original but it bought back some nasty memories of my ex-h so I couldn't bring myself to post at the time. Glad to read that you finally heard from her & got some good advice flowers
For your visit, take forms of identification & some change. Usually, you will have to leave your belongings in a locker (unless they are essentials like medicines) & if there is a cafe/shop inside & you want to take money for refreshments, they provide a plastic bag for it. The worst part of our visiting experience was the waiting, so be prepared for a long day. Searches can take time if there is a large group of visitors. Also during one visit we were kept in the visitors centre for quite some time on arrival, and on another visit it took a long time to allow everyone to leave the main building. I just wanted to link to a few supportive organisations - Action for Prisoner Families were amazing for us. They have now merged with Family Lives There is also PACT and the Offenders Families Helpline In Scotland there is Families Outside Hope that helps.

drinkswineoutofamug Sun 22-Jan-17 14:52:59

Thank you. I really hope that this thread will be useful to other people who are going through the same shit. Everyone has been so helpful smile

Carollocking Tue 24-Jan-17 07:33:09

Good luck to you both for later today

drinkswineoutofamug Tue 24-Jan-17 09:45:56

Thanks carol . Bit nervous , to be expected. I just want to see my baby girl.

KeepSmiling83 Wed 22-Mar-17 19:34:58

How are you getting on drinks? How is your daughter? I read your other thread and have been thinking of you. Not long until she is out! I am in a similar situation but not my daughter.

Groovee Fri 24-Mar-17 13:24:21

Thinking of you @drinkswineoutofamug x

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now