Petrol crisis, I want to protest to the Govt!

(110 Posts)
Alouiseg Sat 24-Apr-10 18:04:06

It's horrendously expensive yet all the venom is directed at the oil companies.

They are not to blame, it is the Government and their ridiculous fuel escalator which means we pay 70 pence in the pound to them on Petrol.

I want to protest and I think they would take notice of us. It could be a deal breaker at the election.

Obviously all Green's look away now. This is aimed at car drivers primarily but inflation will be skewed by the inordinate cost of fuel which of course gets passed on to consumers of everything.

Fancy a March????

Disclaimer:-This thread was inspired by a thread.

OP’s posts: |
OhYouBadBadKitten Sat 24-Apr-10 18:11:38

maybe..... need to think about it a bit, but I do love a march for a good cause.

TheJollyPirate Sat 24-Apr-10 18:22:25

You may well have my support Alouiseg.

Any Greens around to tell me why this is not a good idea? Or is this a cause we could really take on?

Or is the UK so up the proverbial creek that the Gov't (whoever draws the short straw on May 7th) totally unable to cut this tax?

herbietea Sat 24-Apr-10 18:30:23

Message withdrawn

sarah293 Sat 24-Apr-10 18:31:02

Message withdrawn

bytheMoonlight Sat 24-Apr-10 18:32:04

Agree with Riven, you can forget tax cuts in the near future

TheJollyPirate Sat 24-Apr-10 18:39:56

Sadly have to agree that any cut is unlikely. Hmmm! Now then - DS is ASD, have had to cut my work hours to support him, maintainance comes in monthy but never at set times. Think I am going to have to sort out enough to live on, pay rent and council tax etc and all non-essential stuff will have to wait. sad

Advertisement

Fliight Sat 24-Apr-10 18:41:38

Ok, well we use our car a lot...most days. We could manage without it but it would be hard work.

I don't need it for work as such.

I think there ought to be exemptions re petrol. It should stay as expensive as it needs to be for general use (ie people who drive for pleasure, live an easy walk from towns etc)

but for work and for disability or elderly people (and their carers) it should be reduced.

Why does this not already happen? I guess there may be an allowance included in stuff like DLA but not for people who need fuel for work.

Alouiseg Sat 24-Apr-10 18:44:54

We're rural, it's not an option. Copford Green doesn't even have a bus service, it has one elderly cab driver though!

sarah293 Sat 24-Apr-10 18:47:12

Message withdrawn

Alouiseg Sat 24-Apr-10 18:52:47

Must be an utter nightmare. Just think how much cheaper public transport could be if fuel tax was shelved.

sarah293 Sat 24-Apr-10 19:07:50

Message withdrawn

IagreewithNick Sat 24-Apr-10 19:11:29

I am undecided, as I posted on the other thread we are struggling to pay for our petrol but could not afford to live closer to work.

We are in a rural area with few bus services and you either have to take a circular walk across farmland to get to the bus stop or risk your life on a bendy main road which cars go very fast on.

But maybe living where I do is a luxury and to be honest I could live closer to work if I lived somewhere grim or very small.

sarah293 Sat 24-Apr-10 19:17:36

Message withdrawn

IagreewithNick Sat 24-Apr-10 19:27:24

It does totally riven. We are newbies to rural life and did not fully understand the drawbacks of living somewhere pretyy but isolated.

TheArsenicCupCake Sat 24-Apr-10 19:47:36

If I lived where I used to live I'd happily not use a car as bus services were fab and it made sense.

Here I have dc's at school miles away, where it would take 2 buses starting at 6 am and change on to a second just to get to school.
Work dictates I drive to clients and I have to travel 100 miles every other weekend to pick my ds's up from their dads. Etc so best we do is have just the one car and organise it so everything is covered.

I would march, but I don't think it will be reduced or halted at all.

Having said all that.. I have to say if I didn't cover so many miles.. I'd get a horse.. Seriously.

Alouiseg Sat 24-Apr-10 20:05:21

I'd prefer to be like America rather than Europe tbh. I love their roads, their infrastructure and their service. Competition is fierce so that services are good and accessible.

The Uk Govt are thieves, they have, through their own mismanagement spent all of our money and more. Why should we pay more to get to work, our children to school, our food collected.

I don't want car drivers to pick up the slack for our incompetant Govt's follies.

omnishambles Sat 24-Apr-10 20:07:04

Ah yes the marvellous healthcare in the US as well as all those other amazing services available to all at the point of need hmm

OrmRenewed Sat 24-Apr-10 20:10:25

Sorry. A car is a luxury. The fact that we all 'need' one now is neither here no there. Perhaps we should change the way we live. Saying we can't cope without a car is laughable - it's like saying we can't cope without a washing machine or Sky.

Fuel should get more expensive for private users and subsidised for public transport and hauliers. I'd be much more concerned about the cost of fuel to hauliers - that really will put the prices of everything up.

Alouiseg Sat 24-Apr-10 20:17:09

We do need one if not two! We are rural, we are over a mile away from a pathetically laughable bus service that doesn't start till nearly 7am. Bearing in mind most men round here are on the 5.30am train it's a bit of a push to get to the station without a car.

As for America's health service if we add up what we pay in thieving fuel duty we could pay for a comprehensive family health insurance and have change. Top rate of income tax doesn't kick in till you earn around $330,000 pa and it's an all round fairer system if you work.

Personally I would rather pay for a top class service than the shambles and cost cutting we are subjected to.

IagreewithNick Sat 24-Apr-10 20:20:09

We could not cope without a car here but as I said maybe living here is a luxury.

littleducks Sat 24-Apr-10 20:21:08

I dont think a car is always a luxury.

Dh wouldnt be able to get to work without a car.

And saying 'move closer' is all very well and good, but dhs job has changed several times in the past couple of years and jobs are not easy to come by now and are not in any way stable and secure.

And he works locally ish, way too far to walk but isnt a 'commuter' there just isnt a PT option from A to B

Alouiseg Sat 24-Apr-10 20:24:03

How can cars be a luxury when they have contributed to some of the biggest booms ever seen in any capitalist country!

BeenBeta Sat 24-Apr-10 20:24:50

While you are all marching in protest - at least you will be learning how to walk so you can use your cars less and save money!!!

<deliberatley inflamatory post from a non car driver> grin

thehillsarealive Sat 24-Apr-10 20:26:17

Having our cars is NOT a luxury. There is no public transport where we live and to get to the train station is about 5 miles away. Nor will there EVER be public transport along our road because of where it is.

So, unless I walk 20 miles a day just taking the children to school... necessary not a luxury.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in