Anyone tried Cash4Gold?

(25 Posts)
LightShinesInTheDarkness Mon 02-Nov-09 22:54:17

Looking for ways to generate cash!!

Have seen adverts on the telly and Internet, and just wondered if anyone has actually used the service?

I am thinking I am never going to do anything with all my broken/old jewellery so selling is a good idea, but am wary of the 'send it off in an envelope' idea.

Your experiences welcome, thanks!

OP’s posts: |
preggersplayspop Tue 03-Nov-09 11:11:53

I haven't, but I read an article about it in a newspaper which said that the rates you get for the gold are very very low compared to what gold is actually worth per oz. I think you only find out when you get sent your cheque or cash or whatever they send you.

Google them - some interesting results come up!

LightShinesInTheDarkness Tue 03-Nov-09 12:08:38

Thanks, I will hunt out some more info

OP’s posts: |
em83 Wed 04-Nov-09 21:04:49

i have heard of them but found there price per ounce was £40+ less then elsewhere.
depending on where u live i would try all jewellery shops to see how much they are willing to give per ounce.
i recently sold some of mine in newcastle and got £300 for a few scrappy bits of gold,he pays £108 per ounce but it keeps going up ! so if i were u id be looking for £100+ per ounce =)

em83 Thu 05-Nov-09 22:11:26

sorry meant £200 per ounce lol x

MaureenMLove Thu 05-Nov-09 22:14:34

I'm going to a gold sale party on Sunday! Never heard of them before, but my neighbour went to one recently and she tells me she only had a small box of stuff. About the size of a bangle box and she got £600 for it!

She's invited me to this one on Sunday and I'm in! grin

I've got some right old rubbish, but it's all got hallmarks on it, so even £50 would be a bonus.

I'll let you know how I get on!

MaureenMLove Sun 08-Nov-09 16:03:39

Just bumping, because I have my little stash of 'old boyfriend jewellery' as Kbear likes to call it! grin

Party is in an hour - can't wait to find out how much I get for it!

Advertisement

crokky Sun 08-Nov-09 16:05:34

My stepfather has used the service, I think he got rid of his wedding ring from his first marriage. He was pleased with it, although I think it was only a small amount of money.

bethjeff Mon 09-Nov-09 01:00:36

Please don't use cash4gold!!! It's such a con!

I'm from a family of jewellers so I know what I'm talking about.

Cash4Gold pay well under what the recommended price for scrap gold should be.

If you want to make a decent return on your jewellery take it into your local jewellers and see what price they'll give you for it. If they're not crooked 9 times out of 10 you'll get a better price than anything cash4gold would offer.

Kbear Tue 10-Nov-09 20:48:23

Look on the internet at gold prices then check out a local jeweller that buys scrap gold. I took mine to Hatton Garden today as I work nearby and made a tidy sum for a pile of broken earrings and a few chains (ex-boyfriend gold!).

meakin Tue 08-Jun-10 21:40:46

I know this is an old thread but wondering if anyone could recommend an online place to sell scrap gold. I live in the middle of nowhere so no 'local jeweller' to try.

delilahbelle Mon 19-Jul-10 18:42:22

hatton garden metals - google it. I've used them, reliable, easy and good prices.

LucindaCarlisle Thu 19-Aug-10 11:53:28

Try a few local jewellers or other local shops first.

cat64 Thu 19-Aug-10 12:09:21

Message withdrawn

meakin Mon 23-Aug-10 21:25:44

Oh that is all good thanks, think I have the courage to actually sell it now.

Meglet Mon 23-Aug-10 21:29:43

I'd be thinking about this too. I have a couple of broken chains and earrings that are cluttering up my jewellery pot. A fiver for them would be a bonus.

YourCallIsImportant Mon 23-Aug-10 21:34:29

I've used Hatton Garden Metals too, they seem to give the best prices, they don't advertise and they don't send out mailing bags. I sent my old junk broken chains etc one day and by 12 noon the next day I had £800 in the bank.

I know about 6 others who have used them and heard of no problems with them.

linconlass Tue 24-Aug-10 16:41:59

I went to a local shop and got £ 84 for an 18 carrat ring which also had 2 diamonds in ...

Fullprime Wed 06-Oct-10 09:40:58

I went to a gold party organised by a company called Partycash4gold at my friend's house and they seemed very professional. i didnt feel any obligation to sell anything but i was pleased with their approach and prices.

woollyideas Thu 14-Oct-10 22:13:48

If you have jewellery without stones in it find your local bullion dealer (search online) and ask them for a quote. My local jeweller offered me £38 for two 18ct gold rings. The bullion dealer paid me his standard scrap price: £110!
As they deal in metal, bullion dealers will not take account of the value of any stones - they will only pay the metal value - but it's usually a lot better than you'd get on the high street or from one of these new guys on the block.

lisa1968 Tue 14-Dec-10 23:36:38

i had an envelope thru the post from postal gold and was going to use it-then i read the small print and they charge you a tenner if any of the jewellry turns out to be plated.the prices were low too.so i took it to the jewellers and got more

lowrib Tue 14-Dec-10 23:55:41

They are a total rip off! All these cash for gold places have very bad prices.

I find myself wanting to run up to people using the stalls in shopping centres and shout "no don't do it!".

Go to a local jewellers, not these rip off merchants.

Punkatheart Mon 24-Jan-11 21:53:15

bethjeff is right - I am from a family of antique dealers and have become very dismayed by this ripoff merchants.

Go to more than one jeweller for opinions. Be careful too with older jewellery....there could be worth there...

Lamorna Mon 24-Jan-11 22:04:50

I went into a local jewellers and got a good price, I tried several to make sure. I got over £200 for broken pieces.

Hellebore1 Tue 01-Feb-11 21:39:54

I used lois jewellery online and got £300 more than quoted by local jeweller. Found the site on Moneysavingexpert site. Very efficient money into my bank account with 24 hours, highly recommended.smile

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in