Talk

Advanced search

So how much are you budgeting for Christmas presents?

(16 Posts)
indiechick Sun 11-Oct-09 11:00:23

Am interested to know in this current climate what's the average?

I've decided this year to just buy a couple of presents for each dd, they get loads from relatives. Am debating what to do about my siblings and nephews.

SanctimoniousTeeTotalPrig Sun 11-Oct-09 11:05:26

DD will just get a stocking with little things like hair bands and soap etc. So many people will buy for her.

Both our families have a £5 present limit anyway and always have.

Nowt to do with credit crunch, just the way we do things.

thesouthsbelle Sun 11-Oct-09 11:06:05

well DB & I agreed y'day to only buy for the kids I would assume to spend £25 ish on DN, (last year wasn't able to spend hardly anything).

DS will prob have about £100 I should assume, all in incl stocking and new clothes & books as well.

My parents prob £40 ish and then grandparents prob the same again.

XH is apparently going to sort out all of his family, as I was assuming i'd be needed to sort those out as well from DS but apparently not.

So I think about £350 all in incl food as well (as am eating xmas day with my parents and boxing day with my extended family)

Chickenshavenolips Sun 11-Oct-09 11:09:52

We have 500 pound squirrelled away, which will buy all presents. Our food shop is usually no more than a tenner above our usual shop anyway.

shinyshoes Sun 11-Oct-09 11:20:54

£800.00 approx, that's for everyone, the majority taken up by the children.

DS1 wants a Lips game and a new phone.
DS2 wants a DSi.

i Am getting DP a tandem skydive.

Neices and nephews will get £20.00 each.

Inlaws are getting wine in a nice presentation box from BHS

My mum will be getting Evans vouchers.

That's it.

We are going to Center Parcs in December as a little treat for all of us, sort of a christmas present to ourselves. Can't wait!!

sunburntats Sun 11-Oct-09 11:21:59

I have about £200 squirreled away, been saving Tesco club card thingies and those £1 saver stamps each time i went to Tesco for food shopping.

Presents, i have 17 children to buy for plus my own ds.
I tend to spend about £5 on each kid. About £50 on ds.

I find it SOSO SO stressful eavery year.
I never buy through the year as i have birthday presents to buy for thm all through the year as well.

sad
I know its a time to celebrate and all that but i end up a bag of nerves and stressed.

KayHarkerIsKayHarker Sun 11-Oct-09 11:25:00

One main present for the girls - a special offer which we got for £10 each, and we have three girls. I do a stocking for each, and that will pan out at about £15, which will be mostly jewellery, wind-up toys and chocolate.

So that pretty much looks like £25 each for the children, about £75 all told.

I've been buying bits and pieces for rellies over the whole year, and we're going to make some home-made chocolates for everyone else. I think it's about £150 taking everyone into account, and we've got saving stamps of about £150 which will do nicely for the food shopping.

daftpunk Sun 11-Oct-09 11:27:16

always spend about £1000 at christmas...but i have 4 dc....

might spend a bit less this year.

pippel Sun 11-Oct-09 11:35:22

dd1 about £400
dd2 about £150
dm £35
df £35
dsm £35
brother £30
sister £30
Grandparents £30
nephew £10
friends children £10 each
Childminder £30
Childminders children £10 each

looking at that its far to much and I know dd1 needs cutting down more

mustrunmore Sun 11-Oct-09 11:42:28

I only have one present left to get, then thats all my shopping done <halo>. But thats because we get 95% of gifts in the Jan sales and keep them.

ds1 and ds2... each ...£40 on two presents from us, £10 on a present from each other, about £10 on each stocking

My Mum.....£20
My Dad.....£6
Dh... usually we spend £7 on each other, but this year I've been really mean to him, so trying to make amends and think he deserves really nice presents, so I've cashed in some of my ISA and bought him photobooks for £80 and a coat for £21.60 in the sale.
Other relatives and friends.....about £60 total. Including materials for the kids to make gifts.

So about £300 total. But there's no way I could spend that all in one go, if it wasnt spread over a year. And if I didnt shop in the sales they would all be getting total crap for xmas!

bumpybecky Sun 11-Oct-09 11:56:51

We're getting a wii as a family present (should come in at approx £220 with some extras) and then will be spending £20 each on stockings (DH, me and 4 DC). By the time the rest of the family presents are bought / made I expect it'll come in at about £500.

cat64 Sun 11-Oct-09 12:01:07

Message withdrawn

mumwhereareyou Sun 11-Oct-09 20:32:45

DD1 £75
DS £75
DD2 £75

Nieces/Nephews x 6 £10 each

MIl/Fil £30
Mum £60
dad/stepmum £40

Dh ? max £100

Thats it for family, don't buy for any friends, and we spend Christmas on our own and tend to have a buffet on the day, so not much on food.

Have done most of the shopping as well, just a couple of stocking fillers to get and DHs presents when he tells me what he wants.

If feeling a bit flush might try and get tickets for Peter Pan at O2 for boxing day.

mamas12 Sun 11-Oct-09 22:58:13

I'm like pippel I spend about £1000 all told
I have two dcs but 4 dns and 5 adults to buy for. I am trying to compensate for all the crap xmases I had as a child.
The one thing that I have been doing each year is sewing up the sides of their stockings so that even though I have got them less presents, the stockings (we use the same ones every year) still look overflowing iyswim.
Can't afford it this year though so my budget is going to be half and that is really going to be a struggle.

Wonderstuff Sun 11-Oct-09 23:03:52

£10 limit on each person, have 22 to buy for, probably £20 on dd, she is only 2 and the wrapping paper will be as exciting as the pressie really.

helpYOUiWILL Tue 10-Nov-09 20:10:23

mamas12 - thats a good idea about the stocking.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now