Help - when does child benefit stop, please?

(8 Posts)
caravanshed Sun 19-Jul-20 15:41:05

I have a child who is turning 18 in November but who will remain in full time education for the next academic year and won't leave school until after her 'a' levels in June 2021.

I've just had a letter saying that her child benefit will stop in September 2020, two months before her birthday and whilst she is still a 6th former.

Is this right? Eeeek....

OP’s posts: |
caravanshed Sun 19-Jul-20 16:01:53

Sorry ignore me...

Just realised that there is a form I can fill in online (on the government gateway) to declare she will still be in full time education.

I'm a twit. (Breathes sigh of relief.)

OP’s posts: |
smartiecake Sun 19-Jul-20 16:03:17

Yes you are right you will get it for the whole academic year she turns 19 in as long as she is in full time education

Babyroobs Sun 19-Jul-20 18:01:20

My son is 19 ( 20 in Jan) and has just left college - he did an extra year as switched courses. His will be stopping at the end of August.

sobersides Tue 18-Aug-20 20:53:15

Yes, I can confirm this as my DD (18 now , 19 in November) has just finished her A levels and I will cease to have child benefit for her from 31st August. Incidently, this is when maintenance from CMS ceases too.

Devlesko Tue 18-Aug-20 21:06:59

Usually when they stop FE, but can be paid up until 20 if the course started before the student was 19. Or it used to be.

Japa Fri 28-Aug-20 20:09:23

What about if they are living at home and in full time education after A levels?

Advertisement

idsisatwat Fri 28-Aug-20 20:13:19

You can get child benefit upto the day before their child's 20th birthday, if they're in full time, non-advanced education

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in