Income affected by corona how to pay rent ?

(15 Posts)
Momsmoms Sat 21-Mar-20 00:32:32

Hello members,

I hope you’re all doing well and your loved ones and are safe and healthy.

I do not work and rely on my boyfriend who takes care of the household. His income has been affected by the Coronavirus and he was able to make only half of the rent money this month, so not even enough for all bills and let alone food.

Since I don’t work I also have not paid enough NI in order for me to receive JSA. Will I be able to receive housing benefit, Counsil tax reduction? What are the benefits that I can claim, if any?

Is there a way the landlord will or may remove or reduce the rent for the next couple of months during this unforeseen difficult time until things pick up?
How do I go on about it?

I have read there is a new law has been introduced that saves renters from eviction. But if I don’t pay my rent for a few months I will still owe this to the landlord and have no idea how I will be able to cover those arrears...

In countries like France for example the government has suspended rents, mortgages and all bills until things pick up while in the UK the government and Boris seems a bit slow in his decision making and is not really protecting individuals while protecting businesses.

I understand that landlords have bills aswell and need to buy necessities aswell and I’m also not looking to live for free but at least have a reduced rent so I can afford to pay other bills and put some food on the table.

I have been organising my closed and looking for old stuff to sell but like many people are buying at the moment and I’m also looking for other ways to generate income from home If anyone as an idea I would appreciate.

Is anyone else in the same situation and can advise?

Thanks in advance

OP’s posts: |
Nearlyadoctor Sat 21-Mar-20 06:57:16

Is there a reason why you can’t work? The supermarkets are crying out for people at the moment.

CloudsCanLookLikeSheep Sat 21-Mar-20 15:38:18

There's 25000 supermarket jobs but potentially a million losing their jobs due to Corona - with more to follow.

OP may apply for loads of supermarket jobs but if supply exceed demand...

Momsmoms Sat 21-Mar-20 22:08:24

@CloudsCanLookLikeSheep I can’t work in a crowded place like a supermarket. I’m immune compromise and have been told to isolate myself by my gp. Ideally would be something where I can work from home or a field where I don’t come in contact With many people

CloudsCanLookLikeSheep Sat 21-Mar-20 22:36:16

I'd imagine farms will be crying out for staff now?

itwasalovelydreamwhileitlasted Sat 21-Mar-20 22:45:14

I'd be looking for a job

mencken Sun 29-Mar-20 13:45:38

England? your landlord can't even start proceedings for non payment, normally they could be started at 2 months in arrears but it is now 3.

your landlord probably won't ring up and say 'don't worry' because that would stuff up any rent guarantee cover (direct line have already unilaterally pulled theirs anyway).

if you can't pay then you can't pay. Let the landlord know but they can do nothing. Yes, you will be liable for the debt eventually.

Advertisement

WrongKindOfFace Sun 29-Mar-20 14:01:09

You need to make a joint claim for universal credit. This includes the housing element which replaces housing benefit. Apply separately to the council for council tax reduction. If you’re not able to work because of your health you’ll need to provide universal credit with a fit note.

Make paying rent your priority.

okiedokieme Sun 29-Mar-20 14:06:48

You need to make a joint claim for uc. If you are in the shielded group you will qualify for employment and support allowance if not just standard uc, how much you get depends on his income

Momsmoms Sun 29-Mar-20 19:44:38

@menckenso far it’s only been a month of half paid rent ...

Momsmoms Sun 29-Mar-20 19:46:42

@WrongKindOfFacei have calculated the universal credit and coming upto £90 pounds a week. My rent alone is £375 a week! (London!) how am I supposed to love of £90 a week?

Momsmoms Sun 29-Mar-20 19:48:04

@okiedokiemedo you qualify for for employment support if you haven’t paid NI in years ?? Will then pay UN credit if you haven’t worked in year?

Hoggleludo Sun 29-Mar-20 19:51:28

You'll have to see what your landlord says

It's not up to us to decide how you life in £90 a week. People are having too right now. This is unprecedented

DianaT1969 Sun 29-Mar-20 20:02:39

Do you have children? Did you use the UC calculator and input your boyfriend's earnings and the rent? Was there any housing allowance granted?
My instinct is that if you don't have children, UC definitely won't cover your outgoings. Although we're in lockdown, you may need to give notice and move in with family if that's an option. Otherwise you'll be in a lot of debt at the end of this and possibly evicted. Not sure there will be much council help for the homeless at that point.
What did you used to work as? There aren't many remote jobs being advertised yet, but they'll probably increase.

WrongKindOfFace Sun 29-Mar-20 21:35:47

Are you sure that calculation is correct?

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in