Talk

Advanced search

Energy provider?

(13 Posts)
Grandadwasthatyou Tue 17-Mar-20 14:41:01

An extremely boring topic I know but who can you recommend as an energy company?
Currently on a fixed tariff with Octopus and don't really want to change as their billing system is simple and customer service good.
Unfortunately my fixed tariff is ending and the electricity will be going up to 17.25p per kWh ( standing charge 23.415p per day ) and gas 3.1p ( plus a standing charge of 17.85p per day. )

I would really like a company with a reputation for good service having suffered the nightmare that was Iresa energy in the past.
Does such a thing exist? Reasonable tariffs and good uncomplicated customer service?

OP’s posts: |
Grandadwasthatyou Tue 17-Mar-20 19:59:05

I knew this was a boring topic!

fairynick Tue 17-Mar-20 20:03:32

Hi there! I think rates aren’t bad, are they on a fixed? I have worked in the energy indistry for a couple of years now for a couple of companies (including octopus). Octopus for me are the best out there, followed by bulb and outfox the market. Haven’t worked for the other two but in my job I engage with their customers regularly.
If you speak to octopus they can put you on another one year fix, they usually are in the top three cheapest around. Bulb are often the cheapest too, again great customer service, however only offer variable tariffs but are so cheap that imo is worth it. Outfox the market is smaller and I’m not sure about customer service but wow they are cheap.

fairynick Tue 17-Mar-20 20:04:26

If you’d rather a big 6 then, although I’m not particularly a fan of any of them, EDF have some decent fixes right now.

babyellie10 Fri 27-Mar-20 16:30:16

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Grandadwasthatyou Fri 27-Mar-20 16:40:52

I've literally just done it the other way round! Have gone from Octopus to British Gas as their tariff was cheaper than Octopus.
It's a shame as I found Octopus customer service good
Thanks anyway.

mencken Sun 29-Mar-20 13:42:54

it is only a matter of price, especially at the moment. Stay away from the supersmall as they go bust (as you've found).

run a comparison and be aware that almost everyone will now mandate a smart meter - although the installation programme has hopefully stalled on those.

prices have dropped so although the official savings model is a lie, you should actually make real savings from your previous fix. Just not as much.

Clairereid2019 Sun 05-Apr-20 22:05:23

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Inforthelonghaul Tue 07-Apr-20 13:07:23

Just wanted to say that every time I get my bill from Octopus they tell me if they can offer a cheaper rate and I just message them to switch. Their customer service is excellent and I think their rates are pretty competitive too.

FAQs Fri 10-Apr-20 22:27:56

You’ll probably have lots of people tell you switch to bulb because they get a referral fee, my bills went up when I moved to them.

Yellowbutterfly1 Tue 09-Jun-20 11:26:01

Out of interest, those of you who have found that your bills went up after you switched to another energy company, were you always having bills based on estimated readings or actual meter readings?

AMEXY Sun 21-Jun-20 22:58:44

try green.energy that is the website just a www to find them

Pinkbunny2811 Sun 21-Jun-20 23:23:44

I'm really sad... I like to sit and crunch the numbers. Also look for offers for switching on Cashback sites etc. At the moment, British Gas is coming out cheapest for me. Was on EON with a standing charge of 10.5p/day for each gas and electric before although unit rates were slightly more.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in