Aldi Chicken gone off before sell by date

(22 Posts)
Currey Sun 15-Mar-20 16:15:25

Second time in a few months I’ve bought a fresh chicken from Aldi and when I’ve got it out of fridge Five days it’s turned yellow and smells rotten, even though it’s still three days within its sell by date.
Has anyone else experienced this?

OP’s posts: |
MissRabbitNeedsAHoliday Sun 15-Mar-20 16:18:12

I had this a few weeks ago with a gammon joint which still had 3 weeks before its use by date. It was turning blue 😷
I wont be shopping in aldi again.
Didnt have time to take it back and couldn't get a decent picture without taking it out of the pack and decided against opening it so I didnt need to smell it! So didnt complain.

CountingDownToBedtime Tue 31-Mar-20 09:59:35

Yes this happened to me with their chicken a few weeks ago and also the other week with some meatballs from their fridge which were 2 days before the use by date.They looked like they were growing a slight fur so binned them.And my fridge is cold enough so must be a problem their end.

Whenwillthisbeover Thu 02-Apr-20 12:49:47

Also is notorious for badly stored meat, I have also had a few dodgy pieces in the past. I think they leave the cages out too long myself, it’s really not ok. I don’t buy meat from Aldi these days, if I’m budget shopping it’s Lidl.

GoatsDoRome Thu 02-Apr-20 12:52:41

I refuse to buy from Aldi anymore as I’m sick of wasting food that has gone off seemingly within hours of purchase

Peanut55 Thu 02-Apr-20 12:53:29

I have had this from Asda too..nothing worse that opening a packet and that hideous smell hitting you!!

undercoveraessedai Thu 02-Apr-20 12:53:47

My Aldi bacon lardons were off 9 days before their sell by date sad first time I've had an issue!

Advertisement

BrigitsBigKnickers Thu 02-Apr-20 12:57:36

I had this from Aldi with a Lamb joint. It was well in date when I bought it and was frozen as soon as I got home. When I defrosted it to roast a few weeks later it was rank. And because I froze it can't get a refund. I have another in the freezer I bought at the same time so hoping it's not the same.

SomeoneInTheLaaaaaounge Thu 02-Apr-20 14:06:35

Aldi is great for sundries, never meat and veg will often not last very long

Branleuse Thu 02-Apr-20 14:29:54

this happened to me at asda a few years back. Every time i bought something it went off really quickly. I imagine its probably a thing with storage in individual stores rather than the company as a whole, and worth telling the manager

user1487194234 Sun 05-Apr-20 08:33:18

I don't buy a lot of meat but what I do buy is from the local butcher
Aldi has its place but for me not for meat

Charlottejade89 Mon 29-Jun-20 10:28:52

I've had the same with their packs of chicken breasts, they smell horrendous after a few days even within their use by date. I have been freezing them as soon as I buy them but I am going to start using the local butcher coz all their meat has gone downhill recently

MandosHatHair Mon 29-Jun-20 10:32:50

I found our aldi is a false economy in general. Fruit and veg go off within a couple of days. Out of two packs of chicken I had to throw a pack out as it was rancid and the other pack had a chicken breast so tough I could barely get the knife through it so that went in the bin too.

CheshireCats Mon 29-Jun-20 10:49:31

Yes, also had this with Aldi chicken, and also badly sealed packaging meaning the raw chicken juices leak over my other shopping in my bags. Multiple times.

JudgeRindersMinder Mon 29-Jun-20 10:56:25

I’ve stopped buying fresh meat in Aldi for this reason. I can forgive it happening once but twice is inexcusable.
There’s something wrong somewhere in their cold chain

roxfox Mon 29-Jun-20 11:23:55

Had this twice at Sainsbury's recently with chicken breast and once at Aldi. Very frustrating.

Serin Wed 29-Jul-20 20:26:59

We have had this too at both Aldi and Sainsburys but never with Morrisons or Asda.
Bought our fruit and veg in Lidl this weekend and its already in worse condition than the leftover Asda salad stuff that has been in the fridge for 7 days.

OneMoreLight Wed 29-Jul-20 20:29:29

We've had it with Morrisons. Submitted an online form and for refunded.

howfarwevecome Wed 29-Jul-20 20:30:14

I'm not a fan of Aldi's produce or meat for all the reasons mentioned; they all go off quite quickly.

if you're going to eat the meat immediately, fine. But otherwise? no.

dasherr Sun 06-Sep-20 19:51:14

I've had this with Aldi meat, my feeling is that it's probably spent to long outside of refrigerated storage.

Also had packaging that hasn't been sealed and has leaked chicken juice over all the other shopping and bags.

Lots of other products are fine but weve wasted a lot of money on the meat. I wonder if it's a store issue as I know other people who've never had a problem.

BlackKittyKat Sun 06-Sep-20 19:55:13

I've had this with an M&S chicken, so it's not just the budget shops.

It was a cook in the bag chicken and so we only noticed when we went to serve. The stench was awful! 🤢

JudgeRindersMinder Sun 06-Sep-20 19:56:44

JudgeRindersMinder

I’ve stopped buying fresh meat in Aldi for this reason. I can forgive it happening once but twice is inexcusable.
There’s something wrong somewhere in their cold chain

Are you me? I stopped buying fresh meat in Aldi a couple of years ago for this very reason

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in