Credit Card repayment issues

(5 Posts)
LizaCarlisle Fri 27-Dec-19 17:53:10

Looking for some advice.

I have 2 credit cards, both of which I am struggling to pay since I moved into my council home.

My housing benefit has been cut and I've had to get white goods via Brighthouse as that was my only option at the time. This has obviously meant my outgoings have increased and the money I used to pay my credit cards back has been taken paying back bright house.

I have rung both credit card companies who weren't overly helpful. One has put me in touch with a budget helper website and one advised me to wait until the debt was passed on to a debt collection agency who are apparently much easier to deal with.

I don't know what to do as I simply can't afford the minimum repayments. I always make sure I have enough for my priority bills though.

Just looking for advice and support. I know I'm stupid but I just wondered what other people's views were on this.

OP’s posts: |
TorysSuckRevokeArticle50 Fri 27-Dec-19 17:56:05

How much do you have on the cards and what are the interest rates, same question for the bright house loan?

Have you written out your income and outgoings in full to see where your money is going?

halexanderamilton Fri 27-Dec-19 18:04:05

Make an appointment with your local CAB. They will help you make sense of what your options are.

Ursaminor Tue 31-Dec-19 18:42:12

OP - when did you take out the BrightHouse agreement?
If it was between 1st April 2014 and 30th Sept 2016 - you may be entitled to redress from them / having the balance written off:

As @ halealexanderamilton has suggested, worth speaking to your local CAB.

Ursaminor Tue 31-Dec-19 19:05:26

Re BrightHouse - there have been lots of problems with them not being a "responsible lender". Even if you don't fall within the dates I mentioned above, you can still do other things. This helpful website gives a template " affordability complaint" letter.

If your circumstances fit, ie there were signs that BrightHouse should have seen that you couldn't afford to borrow from them, you could tailor this letter with your details and send it to BrightHouse.
You could get back a refund of the interest you have paid, plus 8% per year, and your credit record cleared for these items.

Again , CAB would be able to help you with this.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in