Talk

Advanced search

Frugal brainwaves that you're ridiculously proud of

(56 Posts)
pineapplebryanbrown Sun 02-Jun-19 22:23:18

I'm stupidly happy with myself for thinking this one up. I have a fitted sheet that I hate because it's bobbled, the bobbles annoy me so much I was going to throw it away.

I turned it wrong way round, et voila! No bobbles! It's very addictive this penny pinching isn't it?

OP’s posts: |
Walkamileinmyshoesbeforeujudge Sun 02-Jun-19 22:27:51

I persuaded ds to buy his own house.
Reduced my outgoings instantly!!

pineapplebryanbrown Sun 02-Jun-19 22:39:30

Now that is genius! I can only dream.

Faster Sun 02-Jun-19 22:41:31

I hate bobbles on things. You can shave them off with a cheap razor.

instaflum Sun 02-Jun-19 22:46:08

Ooh I cut dishwasher tablets in half, they work just as well. I also cut those wire wool soap pad things in half. Saves pennies... but! And I always throw sponge scourers in the washing machine - last for ages rather than throw away.

I did have a brainwave about school polo shirts - buy long sleeve then cut them down to short sleeve for summer. That said I can't be bothered with doing the sewing malarkey, so maybe not so much of a brainwave.

pineapplebryanbrown Sun 02-Jun-19 22:56:34

Will now cut dishwasher tablets in half.

I've been using about a third of the amount of washing powder plus a tablespoon of soda crystals and vinegar instead of fabric conditioner.

3luckystars Sun 02-Jun-19 23:08:48

I use old tights as hairbands.

I dye jeans too when they fade, i have jeans for years. (Lots of people probably do this though)

RoseMartha Sat 08-Jun-19 10:51:35

I cut the sponge scourers in half

notashotasthepreviousyear Sun 09-Jun-19 20:18:33

taking last-night's tea leftovers to work for lunch, this has saved me hundreds of pounds over the last few years, cannot imagine what I spent on food when I used to buy lunch each day (when I was childfree & rich).

Namechangeymcnamechange11 Mon 10-Jun-19 07:09:43

Batch cooking, but I never have time to put the slow cooker on in the morning.
Get it ready the night before and put the crock pot in the fridge, just take it out in the morning and put it on low grin

pineapplebryanbrown Mon 10-Jun-19 10:22:28

I buy frozen fruit now and just get out what I'm going to eat in the next few hours. I was sick of throwing whole bunches of bananas away and punnets of strawberries.

pineapplebryanbrown Mon 10-Jun-19 10:26:24

I've gathered every toiletry together in one box under my bed and check it before doing my online shop. I'm not allowed to buy any soap or shampoo etc before checking the box. I can't believe how much I have. Also I had a liquid hand soap that was super harsh so used it as washing up liquid.

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 10-Jun-19 20:39:06

Banana bread in the bread maker. Found a recipe on all recipes.com.

You just break the bananas in half and chuck all the ingredients in. 2 hrs later banana bread comes out.

lifelongfrugaleer Mon 10-Jun-19 20:48:46

Hey fluffy
Thigh I did have loads but I've forgotten in the time it's taken me to say hi to fluffy. Stand by

lifelongfrugaleer Mon 10-Jun-19 20:50:27

I've remembered. Freeze your loaf of bread and just defrost as you need it.
But frozen vegetables. May as well next it's next to the fruit and only use what you need. No waste, no chopping, more nutritious

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 10-Jun-19 21:08:26

Hi! 🙋🏻‍♀️🙋🏻‍♀️🙋🏻‍♀️

pineapplebryanbrown Tue 11-Jun-19 00:02:06

I've been thinking about a breadmaker. I'm trying desperately to break my Amazon habit and now I do all the searching and price comparison and pop it in my basket. Then save for later, will delete if I come to my senses but not allowed to press buy for a whole week.

pineapplebryanbrown Tue 11-Jun-19 00:15:37

So far this week I've managed to buy nothing but a replacement mop head <chuffed>

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 11-Jun-19 07:15:13

The Panasonic bread makers are the best. It’s the kind of thing you get on eBay hardly used.

pineapplebryanbrown Tue 11-Jun-19 19:27:02

Fluffy could I make other cakes in it, a cherry madeira for instance?

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 11-Jun-19 19:36:35

If you can find a suitable recipe for bm then yes but the cherries would need to go in at the end or the paddle would mush them.

pineapplebryanbrown Tue 11-Jun-19 19:42:36

Ok I've bought one, I want you remember this when I drop dead of breadmaker related fatness.

DontCallMeShitley Tue 11-Jun-19 19:51:32

Buy reduced carrots, parsnips etc. that freeze well, blanch and freeze. Much nicer than frozen carrots and cheaper.

I also have a banana bread recipe for the breadmaker but I save energy by not getting the breadmaker out and use a mixing bowl and whisk instead.

pineapplebryanbrown Tue 11-Jun-19 21:38:51

Shit how do you blanch and freeze? Do you peel and chop and half cook?

I add value tinned carrots to everything with mince.

pineapplebryanbrown Thu 13-Jun-19 08:08:05

This one is a bit iffy. I get many more charity bags through my door than I could ever fill. I use them as bin bags and put them in the wheelie bin at the start of the week so they're covered by black bin bags at the end of the week.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in