Talk

Advanced search

7th birthday party on a budget

(14 Posts)
RosiePosies Wed 27-Mar-19 11:50:03

Our boy is turning 7 at the beginning of July, we're trying to get it all planned ASAP so it's all sorted. We're about to have another baby so it would be nice to to tick it off our list.

We can't afford to spend £200 on a bowling or laser tag party - we also fancy doing something a bit different. He's obsessed with Harry Potter, so I was thinking of maybe decorating the house and asking everyone to come dressed up and doing a BBQ - problem is our house is quite small and would that be kind of boring??!

I reckon we're looking at about 10 kids.

I'm at a loss!! Help!!

OP’s posts: |
EmpressJewel Wed 27-Mar-19 14:24:30

We had a similar party at home for DS when he was about the same age. His friends loved being able to play together outside of school. But in saying that, we only had about 6 children, which is more than enough. Personally, I think 10 is too many, if you have a small home (we do)

We cleared out as much as we could from the lounge so the children had space. This included removing breakables and shifting about furniture.

We had a couple of different activities on the go at the same time, so a DVD/computer console plus we did obstacle races in the garden. The main thing is to keep them occupied.

My suggestion for you;

Take them to the park/green space for a while if you can.

Put on a Harry Potter DVD in the background, along with some quieter activities like Lego/toys you have at home.

Do a Harry Potter feast (google will have lots of ideas). You could give normal foods themes names.

I'm sure that if you google Halloween party ideas there will be lots of suggestions you can use (witches abs wizards!!!).

Good luck.

KitKat1985 Wed 27-Mar-19 14:29:23

Given that his birthday is in July, can you do an outside party and a big picnic type thing? If you had it near a wood or similar you could say it was in the 'forbidden forest' for a Harry Potter type theme and get all the kids to come dressed up.

RosiePosies Wed 27-Mar-19 14:29:31

Fantastic @EmpressJewel thank you

OP’s posts: |
frugalkitty Thu 04-Apr-19 13:27:11

My top tip is to not give out party bags! Instead, I used to do a lucky dip with little presents wrapped up and they picked one as they left, or as my kids got older little bags of haribo and they take a couple of bags home. Equally, it's ok not to give out anything! I think most kids enjoy any kind of party, so some of the ideas above sound lovely.

MyDcAreMarvel Thu 04-Apr-19 13:28:58

For a July birthday I would get a bouncy castle in the garden approx £40.

livingthegoodlife Sat 06-Apr-19 22:03:21

We did a Lego party for my son's six birthday. Basically huge pile of Lego in the centre of the lounge, Lego themed food, Lego colouring sheets and some Lego games eg build the highest tower (we actually used Duplo for this challenge). I printed off free certificates certifying the kids as Master Builders. Party bags were tiny £2 Lego sets, cake and sweets.

This year we are doing i-bounce - about £90.

mishgs Sat 06-Apr-19 22:09:24

Have a look on Pinterest - there's loads of ideas for Harry Potter themed party food, games & birthday cakes. It looks fab - good luck!

ToeSocks Sat 13-Apr-19 11:48:35

Hi we are doing similar and our house is quite small ... we are doing it two times in one day to break it up 12-2 & 3-5 , friends 12-2 with their kids and then family 3-5 only way we could do it , worked out 25 going to first time and 20 2nd time and hopefully it works out ha

TenThousandSpoons Fri 19-Apr-19 07:32:08

I did a Harry Potter party at home for DD aged 8. We had Harry Potter music playing and did wand making when they arrived (decorating chop sticks with gems and colouring pens but you could stick things to actual sticks). Pin the scar on Harry Potter (I drew Harry on A3 paper and made the scars out of red card). Tasting Bertie Botts every flavour beans (buy Bean Boozled jelly beans but not cheap). Who is hiding under the invisibility cloak? (Cover someone with a blanket and the others have to work out who is under there). Food was normal party food with some butter beer to taste (which most of them hated!) and a Harry Potter cake. I borrowed some Halloween decorations from a friend and made some stuff eg a “platform 9 and 3/4” sign for the front door.

ivykaty44 Fri 19-Apr-19 10:05:28

I decorate the house
Harry Potter theme buffet- wizard drumsticks, magic marshmallow
Play games - magical disappearing chairs, pass the magical parcel with notes inside, treasure hunt with simple clues

Agree 10 is probably to many 6/8 better

Equimum Tue 23-Apr-19 19:54:00

DS went to a Lego party. The parents structured it by buying each child the same £5 Lego set (there were size of them). They all sat at the table and built the kit, then got to play with a huge bucket of Lego in the lounge. They brought their creation from the first activity home as their party bag. DS loved it!

BiddyPop Wed 01-May-19 13:58:54

Theme up party games, so instead of "pin the tail on the donkey" it could be the scar on Harry or the flames on the dragon or the wand in Hagrid's hand....type of thing.

Instead of party bags, similar to the lucky dip idea, wrap the small things into a large parcel - for pass the parcel - with something small in most layers (maybe a multi-bag of haribo - the mini bags - for most layers with a couple of Lego HP figures and then something slightly larger in the middle) - so most guests get something. And other prizes in other games to make sure each guest does get something.

Make a Pinata in the shape of an owl or large spider to bash in the garden (carefully!) and put individually wrapped sweets in that. Just use a balloon and papier mache for the main body, add cardboard wings or spindly legs for decoration.

A craft activity as people are arriving is good. Making wands. Or later on you could let them decorate buns - a couple of different coloured icings in bowls, some strawberry laces and liquorice cut into bits, smarties, etc. And you could hand out a pinch of edible glitter or edible sparkly stuff if they want to make them "extra magic" (don't put that on the table or it will all disappear in seconds!). Let them either bring the buns home or have them as dessert.

Do you have any star or moon shaped biscuit cutters? You could either make cookies that shape, or even just cut the sandwiches into that shape (ok the sambos means lots of waste and crusts - but you can put those aside for family to nibble later).

"Magic Wand Kebabs" - either vegetables (to BBQ) or fruit (cold or BBQ) on bamboo skewers

Some kind of "Potion" mocktail (basically fruit squash, with some bits of fruit bobbing in it or maybe some raisins as "crushed beetles" or something....) in jugs to drink, and "Elixir of Life" (plain water) for those who don't want that.

Toooldtocareanymore Mon 10-Jun-19 15:15:22

I think this could be great fun, did something not too dissimilar (Halloween wizards) party for one of my kids years ago found it was easy enough to adapt stuff we had at home to the theme and the kids really got into it, ours had to be all indoors cos of time of year I think you being able to do bbq is great idea, we made wizard hat treats, basically ice cream cones dipped in chocolate stuck some smarties on and turned them upside down over a few sweets in a black fairy bun case, we had a home made photo booth -kids loved posing for picks with wizard props, maybe you could do a prisoner of Azkaban one? you could set up some balls or bean bags outside and some target hoops call it Quidditch, make coloured popcorn in the house colours,

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in