Costco

(35 Posts)
Methenyouplus4 Tue 29-Jan-19 22:52:14

Is it worth a visit? Years ago (about 9) I went but just ended up buying things I wouldn't usually buy e.g. huge tubs of sweets.

If I do go, what sort of things are good value for money?

OP’s posts: |
Essexgirlupnorth Tue 29-Jan-19 22:58:41

We buy toilet rolls, dishwasher tablets and washing powder which are good value.
Meat isn't the cheapest but is good quality and good for freezing

RhubarbCrumbled Wed 30-Jan-19 14:48:42

I go mainly to stock up on things I use lots of like toilet rolls, kitchen roll, beans, tomatoes, meat. I also buy lots of things to freeze like fish and cheese. It's not really cheaper but it does stop me having to think about buying it or having to pop to the shops and spend extra cash!

TheDuchessofDukeStreet Thu 31-Jan-19 18:21:31

I’ve been a member for several years and would recommend it. We buy loo and kitchen roll, dishwasher tablets etc. Fresh food is good. DP gets socks and fleeces there. But it’s easy to go in and spend a lot. I keep a running total on my phone so I don’t have any nasty surprises at the till.

lozengeoflove Thu 31-Jan-19 18:23:48

Watching with interest.
Love the idea of it, but like PP, fear I’d spend all my money on industrial sized containers of sweets and chocolates shock

Methenyouplus4 Thu 31-Jan-19 22:19:35

Money is tight, so if I went, it would need to be because it was cheaper than Aldi.

I was also hoping it might have things like cheap giant foil trays. Might see if I can get a friend who has a card to go with first.

OP’s posts: |
flowerycurtain Fri 01-Feb-19 19:44:20

It's not cheaper than Tesco on offer.

Advertisement

TearingUpMyHeart Fri 01-Feb-19 19:46:18

It's not really cheaper than aldi. I go once in a while but it's not cheaper, just more branded stuff at aldi type prices

Floralnomad Fri 01-Feb-19 19:49:26

It’s not cheap in the sense of Aldi / own brand products . You can make mahoosive savings but mainly by bulk buying which in itself is expensive as an outlay IYSWIM . Worth going just for the petrol £1.11 per litre this week when I went . I love Costco but it’s nit like a giant Lidl .

SavoyCabbage Fri 01-Feb-19 19:54:41

We buy the same things every time pretty much. We don't buy anything that you can use more of because you have it. This rule was brought in after the Great Oreo Incident on 1995.

We buy
Cleaning products
Washing powder
Pesto
Lurpak
Bin bags

The petrol is a saving too.

Mimca Fri 01-Feb-19 20:00:37

Watching with interest.

Is it good for kids party bag stuff?

FrenchyQ Fri 01-Feb-19 20:00:43

We always buy:
Washing liquid
Bin bags
loo roll
kitchen roll
Bottled water
Skippy peanut butter

Was slightly annoyed that they stopped selling the multipacks of Dr pepper

Aquilla Fri 01-Feb-19 20:01:07

Tinned tomatoes/kidney beans, fairy, dishwasher tablets, water, kids drinks for class parties, frozen noodle mix, sausages, birthday cakes.

LynetteScavo Fri 01-Feb-19 20:16:10

It's not cheaper than Aldi.

I haven't renewed my membership, but I wish I could the brownie mix.

soundsystem Fri 01-Feb-19 20:25:04

We went recently and got:

Dishwasher tablets
Toothpaste
Shower gel
Big tubs of spices (ones we use a lot)

Found it more expensive that Asda on things I was expecting to be cheaper (most tinned food).

StubbleTurnips Fri 01-Feb-19 20:28:39

Not cheaper than Aldi, but we get

Loo roll
Washing powder
Fabric conditioner
Bleach
Flash
Beans
Soups
Dog food
Cat food
Toffee loaf cake cake

Sometimes wine. Baileys when it’s £9 a bottle!

TheFaerieQueene Fri 01-Feb-19 20:30:35

Do you have membership? It isn’t necessarily cheaper but bulk buying can be a good option.

Inmyownlittlecorner Fri 01-Feb-19 20:36:52

We get marmite!
The dinner rolls are amazing, cakes for birthdays/events. It’s good for bulk buying branded stuff, but like other posters have said, Aldi etc is cheaper. The meat is good quality as are the ready meals. Their frozen Kiev’s are delicious & I like their UHT milk better than any others I’ve tried. Olives, houmous, tzatziki & their fresh fish all seems to be good value too.
I mainly like the free samples & the cheap hotdog from the cafe bit!!

SoyDora Fri 01-Feb-19 20:38:08

We buy:

Bin bags
Foil
Toilet roll
Salt/pepper/herb refills
Meat
Nappies
Dishwasher tablets
Washing powder
Fabric conditioner
Toothpaste
Shower gel
Shampoo and conditioner

We love it!

CaptainPovey Fri 01-Feb-19 20:53:16

No, no, no

Aldi dishwasher tablets are cheaper and fab

If you like Andrex bog roll it is not happening.

Some brands appear to be unavailable so you may not always get what you like

Costco is not the cheapest; very often supermarkets are cheaper, as is Amazon

I had a walk round Costco with a pal the other day; shock eeekkk shock

Otherwise if you do like brands, Costco is for you I can get Colgate for a quid, funnily enough in the pound shop

It is too easy to spend money on shite you don't need, or stuff you can get better and cheaper elsewhere, certainly if you are on a budget

It is in your face so you think: I want, I want, I want

London28 Fri 01-Feb-19 21:16:12

Costco is good if you want to or are financially able to buy in bulk. It is not cheaper than Aldi or Lidl.

Costco's own brand Kirkland is supposed to be as good or better than the leading (American) brand.

It is easy to get carried away in Costco, as the warehouse is huge. Keep a running total as you go round, but remember to add on VAT on applicable products. If you plan to use a credit card Costco only take Amex.

I always buy:

Loo rolls
Washing tabs or liquid
Dishwasher tablets
Fabric conditioner
Black sacks
Zip lock bags
Shampoo and conditioner
Ground coffee
Granola
Spaghetti
Cake
Pizza
Ready Meals

All of the above have been Costco's own Kirkland Brand and excellent

On occasion have also brought birthday cake, clothes, books, chocolate.

DH likes their non iron shirts.

CaptainPovey Fri 01-Feb-19 21:18:53

Oh, and you have to pay a membership fee shock shock shock shock shock

combatbarbie Fri 01-Feb-19 21:19:12

I really think it depends on what type of shopper you are. Example, we shop mostly at Aldi but we've ran out of milk or something basic. Husband goes to asda and spends £5, I go and spend £50 confused because I see things I don't usually see in Aldi and think it's great to have/eat.

OnlyFoolsnMothers Fri 01-Feb-19 21:21:06

Costco isn’t cheap- I went and people were bulk buying pampers- I then went and cross checked and Sainsbury’s was cheaper when pampers were on offer. If you are brand obsessed and bulk buy you can save money, but supermarket own brands and Aldi/ Lidl is cheaper.

That being said if you go get the fudge cake!!!

SleepingBooty Fri 01-Feb-19 21:27:40

It's not cheaper than Aldi, however the food is really good quality. We go every month or so, stock up on toilet roll, kitchen roll, batteries. Only buy Tea (£10 for 1000 bags) once a year, and we drink a LOT of tea.
It's great for Xmas presents too.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in