Talk

Advanced search

Smp panic with budget.

(31 Posts)
newlyfrugal Thu 17-Jan-19 16:00:30

Thank you all this is very helpful and so encouraging! What do you put in your pack ups? This is something I am a bit clueless about but will need to start so as to save money on DH lunches.

recklessgran Thu 17-Jan-19 15:56:45

Don't worry OP it can be done even though it seems tight. The secret is to meal plan around what you have in your cupboards and then make a shopping list for only what you need to make your meals. If you have an Aldi or Lidl close by you may find them the best place to shop. If not, try online shopping - easier not to overbuy and enables you to meal plan around offers. Try to have no meat a couple of nights to save money. Jacket potato with cheese/beans and side salad is nutritious and filling.Home made pizza is a cheap meal, ditto home made quiche. I know you say you can't cook but there are lots of simple meals that you would be able to manage. Have a look at BBC Good Food site-lots of easy recipes on there. Try not to worry-it's amazing what you can do if you try. Good luck.

Creas35 Thu 17-Jan-19 15:55:24

We spend between £45-£55 a week doing ASDA online and that’s for 2 adults and 1 x 6 yr old DS. Includes 4 x school pack ups 4 x work pack ups for both of us and cleaning bits etc and delivery. If you do online you don’t pick up rubbish you need. We would normally have frozen veg, pasta, jacket potatoes, chicken steaks , pizza , mince , sausages.

lozabella Thu 17-Jan-19 15:46:10

Sorry, didn't read the questions properly. Meal ideas include pasta....lots of it. Lots of slow cooker meals using cheaper cuts of meat, so beef Stew, sausage casseroles. We've had one night a week of egg and beans on toast which is surprisingly filling and I really enjoy it even when I'm not too excited by it. If you do a search on here for "cheap meals" there are loads of really helpful threads with loads of meal ideas. I've used it lots over the past 9m.

lozabella Thu 17-Jan-19 15:43:41

Currently on mat leave with second baby, have a 5 yr old. Our budget for food is around £250 whilst I've been on SMP. We shop weekly at Aldi, which comes in between £50-£60 a week. Where do you shop atm?

newlyfrugal Thu 17-Jan-19 14:21:23

Okay so I know that the mumsnet consensus is that we should save in order to cope on maternity leave but this was a surprise baby and our budget was pretty tight anyway. Please no flaming. It is what it is unfortunately.

Long story short, after carefully budgeting I will have 350 per month for food for two adults and a toddler. The baby is breastfed so thankfully I don't need to find the money for milk. Toddler loves fruit and veg so would still like to maintain and encourage that if possible.

I am useless at both budgeting and cooking so I am here asking 1. Can it be done and 2. Can anybody please help me with tips, meals, recipes?

Join the discussion

Registering is free, quick, and means you can join in the discussion, watch threads, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Get started »