Cheapest way to heat through winter?

(17 Posts)
Oneinthegrave Fri 09-Nov-18 09:55:43

Recently moved from a flat with central heating to a 2 bed house also with central heating BUT the radiators in the kids bedroom only ever gets luke warm? Ive tried bleeding, we had a new boiler, told the landlord he couldn’t care less.

My DS’ are 7 and 1, 7 year old is wearing warmer pyjamas and a thick duvet but 1 YO will not keep blankets / duvet on even when he’s cold. Last year with a tiny baby I just had the heating on constantly through the night but ended up paying over £100 a month bill for the privilege. Just can’t afford it and its not much use because of their radiator anyway.

I’ve got a mini oil filled radiator but it’s 1kwh and i’m guessing will cost a fortune to have on through the night? Also their bedroom is the same size as the livingroom so huge so will have to be on full & constant to even make a difference...

I’ve thought about buying thick blankets to snuggle up with in the evening / day time so we can save the gas being on to use at night instead but everyone just moans that its freezing hmm

In your experience whats the cheapest :/ most effective way of heating?

OP’s posts: |
Santaispolishinghissleigh Fri 09-Nov-18 09:58:09

My dc wear pj's +a onesie!! All have fleece mattress toppers. And fleece blanket on top of duvet. And bed socks!
We have thermal flannelette top/bottom sheets!!
Old house, draughty windows, gaps in front door!!

OohMrDarcy Fri 09-Nov-18 09:59:37

Have you looked at the pressure on the boiler? I think that happens if it gets too low - on mine there is a bit which you twist with a screwdriver and it ups the pressure.

in the meantime I'd be going all out on fleecy PJ's etc.

ShovingLeopard Fri 09-Nov-18 10:03:00

The radiators might need flushing. Are they colder at the bottom than the top? British Gas charge a fortune for this, but a local plumber might be more reasonable. You would save the money back in reduced heating costs, but only over a period of time. It is possible to do it yourself, but is time-consuming and a bit messy.

CarrieBlu Fri 09-Nov-18 10:07:13

Sleeping bag for youngest, you can get some that have poppers so you can extend the length as they grow. My DD who is 2.5 has one that should fit until she’s 4. She is a nightmare with blankets also but loves her “bed baggy”.

TeddyIsaHe Fri 09-Nov-18 10:07:56

Quote the Landlord and Tenant Act in regards to heating to your landlord. It’s unacceptable if you have children in the house (and even if you don’t!) to not have adequate heating. I think the minimum temp in bedrooms should be 18 degrees, but do double check that.

ginghamstarfish Fri 09-Nov-18 10:08:17

Your landlord has a responsibility to ensure that things work as they should. Why don't you talk to Shelter or CAB who might be able to advise you? Sounds like the boiler and heating system need some attention, and it's not you that should be paying for it.

Advertisement

CarrieBlu Fri 09-Nov-18 10:10:08

We also moved our tumble dryer upstairs, not for heating related issues but due to space. However, it’s had the bonus effect of heating the upstairs when it’s on during the day so when the DC go to bed it’s nice and warm up there.

Oneinthegrave Fri 09-Nov-18 12:06:08

The radiators are cold at the top warm at the bottom but bleeding hasnt done anything. DS will absolutely not keep a sleeping bag on but will take on board the comments about fleece pjs etc boiler pressure goes between 2-3

OP’s posts: |
rwalker Fri 09-Nov-18 12:16:21

with the heating proberly needs flushing they get sludged and silt in them .Power flush would cost a few hundred pounds that why he won't do it .

Munchyseeds Thu 15-Nov-18 16:06:57

I agree you need to go back to the landlord and get the heating sorted, it is his responsibility
I have never had my heating overnight tho, not even when my kids were babies, used to have pjs and fleece oneies and if we woke up we would check they were covered

mrsoutnumbered Fri 16-Nov-18 15:30:53

I had this problem with the radiator in my kitchen and the one in my girls room. I fixed it by rebalancing - turned all of the radiators off except those two (using pliers on the valve, not just off on the thermostats). Put the heating on. This forced those two radiators on. I then turned the others back on, but didn't open the valves fully - just turned them 90 degrees bit by bit until they were hot enough.

HTH.

UbercornsGoggles Fri 16-Nov-18 15:38:19

I second the advice on balancing the radiators. Plenty of advice online about how to do this

mrsoutnumbered Fri 16-Nov-18 15:39:54

Just to add I would put the 1 year old in a sleeping bag - or another option is to turn the duvet sideways and tuck it under the mattress so it can't be kicked off!

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 18-Nov-18 08:39:36

Our system has a pressure tank, if it’s too low the roads won’t bleed.

It’s red, has a gauge and a black switch on the pipe behind it.

crimsonlake Sun 18-Nov-18 09:52:38

I have never had the heating on all night and assumed nobody did . If the problem is the little one kicks the bedding off can you not co sleep? Yes check the pressure on the boiler and I think you may need new radiator valves. I had this problem, you need a plumber, I replaced mine with quite basic ones and they were surprisingly reasonable really.

strawberrypig Sun 18-Nov-18 10:44:06

Could you swap bedrooms with the children until this is fixed? I hope your LL faces up to his obligations.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in