Parents only need a landline

(9 Posts)
lalafafa Thu 20-Sep-18 19:23:15

They’re trying to cut their monthly £43 virgin tv bill. They don’t have or need internet. The are willing to get rid of Virgin tv but would maybe want a Now tv box, which I believe you can buy. They only really need a landline with unlimited daytime calls. Any ideas please? The packages I’ve looked at all include WiFi.

OP’s posts: |
EggsRoyale Thu 20-Sep-18 19:29:39

Now TV box also works through WiFi? They probably want a Freeview box? Tbh, I'd be nervous of getting rid of WiFi and not having mobiles as so much needs the internet now. Look on uSwitch for deals in your area.

DontRollWithThePunches Thu 20-Sep-18 19:31:23

I'd rather get rid of landline and get a good mobile deal with a good mobile data package.

I don't have a home phone. I just have a mobile because it's always with me in emergency.

lalafafa Fri 21-Sep-18 10:16:54

Thanks, they’ve had their land number fir 40 years and are worried about old friends being able to contact them, that’s why they want to keep it. I’ll look at Uswitch.

specialsubject Fri 21-Sep-18 22:12:21

landline with unlimited calls means reliable.communication ( even in a power cut, buy a corded phone as a spare) and means friends with the same can call them. Many older people wont change from bt who dont include calls to mobiles in their package.

plusnet are usually cheap, just dont use the broadband.

nannynick Sun 23-Sep-18 08:32:13

Do they really not need internet? My parents are in their 70s and spend quite a lot of time using internet via ipads. They also have an AppleTV box for viewing iPlayer and Netflix.

Plusnet (a BT company but usually cheaper than BT) maybe a viable option. Cheaper if phone rental is paid upfront a year in advance (Line Saver). Your parents may want some internet, so an ADSL broadband which maybe up to 20mbps depending on location may be sufficient.

lalafafa Sun 23-Sep-18 18:04:00

nannynick i've tried to persuade them but they're not bothered, i know, they would rather phone me to look something up grin

Advertisement

MrsFezziwig Fri 28-Sep-18 17:12:37

OP has said her parents don’t want the internet, so why all the posts saying “they should have the internet”? Ok, eventually everyone will be used to using the internet but we still haven’t reached that point yet.

My parents don’t have the internet (and are at an age where they will now never learn to use it) so they have a discounted rate on their landline (although they’re with BT, so can’t imagine it’s super-cheap).

I need my landline for internet but also so I can ring my mobile number when I can’t remember where I’ve put it down in the house. blush

ivykaty44 Fri 19-Oct-18 00:00:31

So many things are only “online” now so people do need the internet- but if you’re happy to sit in the library for a few hours instead, then you can have internet for free & heating

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in