Talk

Advanced search

What snacks do you buy?

(18 Posts)
mrsoutnumbered Thu 09-Aug-18 08:07:18

I'm trying to get food costs down and I think a lot of money goes on snacks.

I tend to buy crisps and bits and bobs for the kids but think to myself that crisps are a bit pointless really, I spend £5 a week on them, they're not healthy and they're not filling. Or am I being a meanie? My kids do love them.

What snacks do you buy for yourself and the kids? Do you make any from stretch?

OP’s posts: |
mrsoutnumbered Thu 09-Aug-18 08:10:46

Stretch? Scratch!

GrassStains Thu 09-Aug-18 08:18:47

We spend far too much ongoceries each week and very little seems to be on actual food!

We’ve stopped buying crisps because they are so unhealthy but still spend too much.

Not much help but have the same problem as you op

ThisIsNotARealAvo Thu 09-Aug-18 08:19:54

I buy a massive multipack of crisps - £2.49 for 30 packets, from Tesco. This is for packed lunches and snacks and DH eats a lot of them. I also buy some packs of digestive biscuits, occasionally chocolate ones. There's fruit or cheese too for snacks. This seems to be enough.

Owletterocks Thu 09-Aug-18 08:21:28

I have stopped buying individually wrapped biscuits like penguins etc and just buy cheap packets and keep them in a tin. Crisps wise, we buy a multipack from Aldi

NotAnotherHeffalump Thu 09-Aug-18 08:28:45

The adults in the house don't really eat many snacks, maybe eat bigger portions at meal times. I try and keep the kids snacks as healthy as possible, they get one in the morning and one in the afternoon. Their snacks would be things like own brand supermarket natural yoghurt or own brand fromage frais, toast, raw carrot sticks (49p for a 1kg bag of carrots), apples, bananas etc. Sometimes I'll get them berries which can be a bit more expensive, but they're healthy and I like giving them the variety.

I did buy some own brand biscuits last week (50p per pack) and they were scoffed in days. I didn't really think it was a good thing tbh, they left any healthy snacks in favour of the biscuits, so I won't be rushing out to buy more.

I don't think you're being in meanie. If mine come to me asking for a snack I tell them they can habe something healthy. You'll soon see if they're snacking because they're hungry or out of bordem.

Fluffycloudland77 Thu 09-Aug-18 08:52:15

We don't eat snacks. I eat bigger portions & I'm not hungry inbetween meals.

Crisps, biscuits, cakes, oat cakes, rice cakes etc it's all empty calories high in carbs.

If I had kids to feed I'd offer small apples, a small lump of cheese, glass of full fat milk, raw veg. All fairly low carb and contain protein/fibre.

My mums go to snacks were apples or a carrot. Often I was snacking out of boredom and went off the idea when I realised that was all I was getting.

MessySurfaces Thu 09-Aug-18 09:03:37

I don't buy snacks unless we are going on a really long journey.
We have natural yogurt with cut up fruit in (I take that to work in little Tupperware pots), fruit, sunflower seeds (cheaper than nuts) with raisins, sticks of veg, and we often make muffins (with v little sugar) and cheesy crackers. We do buy oatcakes and rice cakes, come to think, to have with cheese, peanut butter and occasionally jam. In the summer we buy ice creams too!
As a teen I used to scoff bread and butter by the loaf...

mrsoutnumbered Thu 09-Aug-18 09:18:58

Thanks all, very helpful to me as I am going to the shop now!

NotAnotherHeffalump Thu 09-Aug-18 10:33:26

I'm sure you've thought of this already, but if you're looking for more 2ays to hammer down the weekly shop and be healthy, cut out all fizzy drinks. So expensive abd bad for you and your family.

mrsoutnumbered Thu 09-Aug-18 12:41:48

Thanks, I never ever buy fizzy drinks! You're right they're expensive and I don't like the kids drinking them often. I only buy squash and juice for breakfast.

AmandaAndMichael Thu 09-Aug-18 12:48:10

I need to do the same.

We must have a junk snack addiction problem, everyone gets withdrawal if they don't have them everyday.

As you say it is not healthy and a waste of money.

Raver84 Thu 09-Aug-18 13:07:12

We don't snack. Perhaps a bag of mini cheddar, a piece of fruit or a youghurt. If you are eating 3 meals a day I'm not sure it's necessary to eat in between.
We keep food bill low by shopping in aldi. We do have crisps for lunchboxes.just buy one multi pack or if not crisps in their lunch the have plain crackers and cheese. As you say already don't buy fizzy drinks. We do have squash but that's just for me as kids don't like it and it lasts about a month. Try to bake a few things, in aldi ingredients are really cheap so I will often bake a fruit cake or tea loaf and they will be puddings for a few nights.

ItWentInMyEye Thu 09-Aug-18 13:22:14

I buy a 30 pack of crisps at Aldi because they last us ages so it's cheaper to get the big pack. Aldi own brand 'penguins' and 'kit kats' etc all go down as well as the real thing. Breadsticks & dips, fruit, sometimes hard boiled eggs, my meat eating DS likes mini sausage rolls, cheese & onion rolls etc etc. All in moderation as snacks are fine.

mrsoutnumbered Thu 09-Aug-18 13:26:58

Thanks all.

Went to the shop today and resisted most of the junk! I bought cheap Asda own crisps (as a pp mentioned Tesco own crisps and only spent £2.50 on them. Got fruit, carrots, cherry toms, tea cakes.

It's so much easier when they're at school!

mrsoutnumbered Thu 09-Aug-18 13:30:05

Oh and I wish I had an Aldi or Lidl nearby, there are none here!

LemonysSnicket Thu 09-Aug-18 13:41:25

We buy bel vita soft bakes it tbh, the point of snacks isn't to be filling... no one needs snacks, they're for enjoyment.

MismatchedStripySocks Sat 18-Aug-18 22:31:37

My son loves croissants and brioche, both from Aldi. Also Jaffa cakes, grapes, microwaveable burgers (yuck!) and microwaveable pizzas. Aldi is great for snacks as it’s expensive filling up a teenage boy.

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in