Views please!!

(7 Posts)
notmrscookie Thu 05-Apr-18 22:17:41

Work in a team of 16 lower grade staff and 6 much higher paid staff. We all work different shift patterns We do a birthday buddy thing where u buy gift £10 max ..Well newish member has not received her gift her birthday a week gone ( we do have one member on long term sick) Manager has sent out polite email . well over heard said staff member saying how hurt she was and worried she wasn't liked or wanted. so went to local shop to buy a token gift to show we included her in team etc.. Wanted to buy flowers but only bunches where reduced . So I brought a really nice bunch for £1.50 reduced from £12.. They looked lovely ..
Person receiving them was very appreciated explained it wasn't from buddy but a gift . However one of the other staff members offered to chip in away from birthday person I had to explain they were reduced .Her look was shock and horror ..
Views pls . I am a single mum wit child where as she is married with husband earning loads..Every penny counts.

OP’s posts: |
Donotbequotingmeinbold Thu 05-Apr-18 22:29:23

So it wasn't even the buddy gift. It was you buying her something to be nice because she hadn't received her buddy gift. And someone had the nerve to look at you implying you were stingy. What a rude coworker! You were the one who went out and did something about her not getting a gift. Ignore anybody who wants to be rude.

ScreamingValenta Thu 05-Apr-18 22:32:23

shock If she felt so strongly about it, why wasn't she proactive in buying a gift? You did a nice thing, so ignore her.

AdoraBell Thu 05-Apr-18 23:28:59

Yes, ignore the shocked colleague. If they are that shocked they could have made sure the buddy present was organised.

You did a very nice thing and you didn’t set out to get a £1.50 present.

S0upertrooper Fri 06-Apr-18 07:54:29

What a nice colleague you are. It's not important how much is spent, it's the thought that counts and Mrs Money Bags is BVU IMHO IFSWIM!!!
🌺

NeverTwerkNaked Fri 06-Apr-18 08:01:49

You did a really lovely thing.

I remember being a single mum when every penny counted but people who haven’t lived like that can be totally oblivious to what it is like.

notmrscookie Fri 06-Apr-18 22:41:47

Thanks for kind words . Manager pulled me in to thank me for the kind gesture as another staff member had said how happy birthday girl had been having them on desk .Again offered to chip in and I explained what had happened and her comment was it had had made x happy. Thank you..I shall move on.

OP’s posts: |

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in