(10 Posts)
Mrtumblesspottybag10 Sun 18-Mar-18 14:18:51

So recently escaped a DV relationship just before christmas and me and my 2 DC collected the keys to our new home on Friday.

I am currently on ESA (as my SSP finished) and also get CTC and CB. There was a big mess up and HB was stopped at the end of November (i have appealed this but they said it could take between 4-5 months for thks to be reviewed) nd exdp has stopped paying maintenance (i have contacted CSA and payments are meant to be resuming this month but i am.not holding my breath!) The issue is i have nothing to move with and my new house needs carpets/curtains just to make it safe (my DC are both under 2) and i have no means of affording this - i have contacted my local council who have said they can help.with cooker, fridge and freezer but aside from that i am conpletley clueless and panicking abouy what to - i have to be out of my current home within the next 2 weeks - thanks for reading, any advice would be hugely appreciated!

OP’s posts: |
Sib86 Sun 18-Mar-18 14:23:27

Do you have a local women's aid group? They may be able to help or advise you about any grants that could be available.

user1498854363 Sun 18-Mar-18 14:25:58

Well done for getting out of dc, and moving forwards. Consider:
Freecycle (free websites), gumtree etc
Local church/mums groups/Facebook groups etc
Charity shops

Use the money council give for curtains/ carpets might be out of reach maybe rugs?

Use sheets or blankets until you are sorted, don’t think it has to be perfect, you are already safe and that’s fabulous

Good luck in your new home 🏡

Mrtumblesspottybag10 Sun 18-Mar-18 14:47:12

Thankyou for your advice - i have contactdd my local church and plan on looking at the freecycle.sites too and will xontact my local WA to see what they advise! I dont get any money to help.with the move - i had to borrow the money to pay the 5 weeks rent upfront sad

I do get help.with paint that will be a massive step forward!

OP’s posts: |
user1498854363 Sun 18-Mar-18 16:49:17

Op people often have spare curtains, nets, rugs etc that they store, don’t quite fit or don’t like, ask around friends and family etc

I got lampshades, rugs, pictures etc from family (no cost), can be easier than asking for money
Good luck

ThroughThickAndThin01 Sun 18-Mar-18 16:53:10

You don’t need curtains. Any piece of material can be draped at the windows. We used old duvet covers for years. For carpet, could you pick up some cheap rugs, or again bits of material for now.

Easilyflattered Sun 18-Mar-18 17:04:29

Our town has a furniture bank which helps people with the basics in situations like yours. They work with the local council to confirm you've been housed and are in genuine need of help.


SandysMam Sun 18-Mar-18 17:44:33

Do you have a local furniture service near you? There are often charity branches that help people in your situation.

SandysMam Sun 18-Mar-18 17:45:51

Sorry Cross post with Easily...that’s how long it took me to get round to posting!!

NeverTwerkNaked Sun 18-Mar-18 17:50:40

Definitely have a look at freecycle/freebay /I need a whisk type groups. People often have things lurking that they don’t mind giving away

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in