Talk

Advanced search

So I've started YNAB ...

(8 Posts)
SheilaTurnip Wed 14-Feb-18 13:31:24

And I dont get how you cant put your future earnings in?
If you are mean to bugdte how come it lets you put what you will spend in future months but not earnings?

AalyaSecura Wed 14-Feb-18 13:57:09

The system is based on you allocating the money you already have. So that's budgeting what you'll spend say over the coming month, and if you've got money left over, then for the next month too - but you don't allocate future earnings until you've actually got that money.

lougle Wed 14-Feb-18 14:11:12

Exactly as AalyaSecura says. If you get £5000 but only need £2000 this month, and know that you have a bill for £2000 next month and £1000 the month after, you might want to allocate it to those future months now, so that next month's income deals with your normal bills, etc., and those big bills are already dealt with.

But you can't enter money in advance that you don't have, because then it all becomes meaningless. You have to work with money you actually have.

SheilaTurnip Wed 14-Feb-18 16:23:22

Okay, not the system for how my mind works. And wants to plan. I can put t to one side then before I waste any time getting to know it.

lornathewizzard Wed 14-Feb-18 16:28:43

You can put the earnings in the same way you put future bills in, as upcoming transactions. You just can't allocate the money to a bill/category because you don't have it yet.

Well worth sticking with it IMO, although I believe they've put the price up

SheilaTurnip Wed 14-Feb-18 18:24:21

Gosh! Ive worked it out !
This is genius !!

lornathewizzard Wed 14-Feb-18 18:42:34

It took me about 3 weeks to get the hang of it but I love it.

Lillylollylandy Thu 15-Feb-18 15:38:52

I adore YNAB. Best thing ever!

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now