Talk

Advanced search

February Frugaleers United in Saving Money, Swapping Recipes & Supporting each other in finance, friendship & family life : )

(1000 Posts)
mammymammyIRL Mon 05-Feb-18 21:25:09

And so we continue ....

frazzled3ds Mon 05-Feb-18 21:30:13

Hello! Think I've managed a couple of NSD over the weekend, and today too (just as well - rent due Wednesday!)

Planning on trying really hard to cut back on non essential spending this month too....

Laska5772 Mon 05-Feb-18 21:41:34

Oh my.... another tread already !

Fabulously Frugalling in .. grin

Laska5772 Mon 05-Feb-18 21:43:04

Thanks Mammy flowers

QuiteCleanBandit Mon 05-Feb-18 21:48:37

Nice thread title mammy
smile

WreckTangled Mon 05-Feb-18 21:52:01

Thanks mammy.

Girlie I didn't realise she's asthmatic, pleases the dr is seeing her in the morning. Can you do something relaxing? Listen to some music or have a bath...anything to take your mind away from the horrible thoughts.

needastrongone Mon 05-Feb-18 22:14:36

smilegrinsadblush place marking x

Nofilter Mon 05-Feb-18 23:20:33

Hi,

I spent £58 on some Boden clothes for my DD and wondering if I should have now!!

How do you decide whether something is necessary? My DD seems to have ended up with loads of bottoms (leggings, tights and bloomers) and less tops so that’s what I bought....

Hmmm interested to hear how some of you decide on necessary, nice to have, essential etc?

First time I’ve had spending guilt it’s strange!!

Cagliostro Tue 06-Feb-18 00:06:35

Signing in thank you mammy can’t believe how many threads we’ve had this year already!

Not sure there was much point buying that medicine for Cagletini as most of tonight’s dose seems to have been spit up down her front 🙄

It’s easy for me to say relax girlie but she’s in the best situation really now being well looked after, sounds like they’re being thorough and cautious. But I totally get why you are so stressed 💐

Essentials vs wants... I guess if I knew that I’d be much better off 😳 grin I suppose I’m just trying to be more mindful really. I’m getting there for sure. Definitely finding that none of us need as much clothing as I thought though, we recently decluttered the Caglets’ wardrobes, got rid of a fair bit and they still have more than enough TBH (having a good tumble dryer helps though).

Nofilter Tue 06-Feb-18 01:55:05

That’s true Cagliostro...

I think I’m going to work on the basis that we are on a spending freeze for this month to just get a feel of being extremely frugal.

I’m really enjoying the process and feeling so motivated to save save save!

Can’t stop thinking about how much I’ve frittered away over the years on pointless stuff...

I hope your little one is on the mend - we’re a constant whirl of calpol and ibuprofen in this house too! Although I might get some non brand liquid paracetamol next time my pharmacist said it’s exactky the same and £3 cheaper!

I’ve seen that Tixylix in the £1 shop too FYI ;-)

TheDuchessofDukeStreet Tue 06-Feb-18 06:23:20

Checking in

Huge fail on top up shops. I have bought nothing daft but it's too easy. Planning to tidy my big cupboard so I can see what I have and make a list of freezer contents today.

Invested in new steam iron, £60. Dear, but worth it.It makes a disagreeable job easier. I had been trying to manage with a cheap supermarket one that we had in the loft from Dp's old flat but for my uniforms and Dp's work trousers it's no good. I shall donate it though as it's ok for light ironing which may suit someone.

Ordered River Cottage book on preserving, second hand. I should like to learn how to bottle apples so that in the autumn they will not crowd out the freezer, and also to make strawberry jam. I have plenty of Kilner jars and my grandmothers jam pan so hopefully no kit to buy. My other grandmother used to bottle pears in lemonade during the WW2 as she had no spare sugar which I always think sounds delicious. Have baked raisin buns for Dp's lunches.

And small spend, £1 on golf balls from charity shop for the pussy cat who is coming to us for his holidays later this month. DP found a golf ball when out walking and puss loved it so he'll have a rare game with these.

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 06-Feb-18 06:46:46

Thank you Mammy.

Nofilter I think I'd have waited until the Sainsburys tu sale for a child that young because they grow so fast. It's supermarket/m&s round the house here & boden/Barbour/Henri Lloyd/Karen millen for going out.

I don't have a massive wardrobe but everything co-ordinates and matches something else.

lifelongfrugaleer Tue 06-Feb-18 06:49:44

Thanks for the thread mammy, great title.

Dd off school today so nsd here. Going to write more competencies, joy.
Will you tube some fitness too for the living room as didn't make the gym last night.

Have a list of jobs to do too.

lifelongfrugaleer Tue 06-Feb-18 06:52:30

Supermarket kids stuff is great. Not so stuck on the adult stuff though.

Want v need. Dd trends to wear everything until it's worn out. Ds until he has out grown stuff. I am guilty of overbuying to get dc to wear a variety of clothes but I've given up more as they both know what they like. Ditto me. I get stuff for a lifestyle I don't have rather than accepting what I do. Dresses and skirts are a prime example.

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 06-Feb-18 07:03:29

I've done that too, in my head I need lots of fitted Karen millen dresses to wear with heels to nights out in bars drinking posh champagne & nibbling on nouvelle cuisine medallions of venison served with three baby carrots and a teaspoon of peas.

I hate night outs in bars confused

I just need sugar, silver spoon 1kg is 30p back on topcashback and it will get used up eventually.

QuiteCleanBandit Tue 06-Feb-18 07:07:03

Wants vs Needs
The best thing I did was to systematically go through every room decluttering and sorting out what I already have.
I can now see/find my clothes,books ,make up (divided into 3 identical bags blush)
Home gym handbag
I also went through all my clothes and got rid of half .
All I need is 3 or 4 long sleeve tops ,I dont want anything .
As a result Ive saved £1200 since Christmas and just paid a 2K loan off .
DH and I give ourselves a set sum each month.
Neither of us has spent it yet grin

WreckTangled Tue 06-Feb-18 07:39:29

Nofilter unless it was in the sale I wouldn't buy boden for the dc. I don't buy them anything full price really apart from H&M. Otherwise it's tu when it's 25% off, gap outlet, eBay, charity shops.

I've got my PDR at work this morning then lots of driving to do.

SnugglySnerd Tue 06-Feb-18 07:41:27

Thanks for new thread. Hopefully I can keep up a bit better.

I now make sure I have smart trousers for work and about 5-6 tops that I can rotate for work (I only do 3 days a week). The tops work well with jeans too for evenings out (which are few and far between!). I also have a couple of dresses.
The rest of the time I wear jeans, t shirts and jumpers or big cardies. My main consideration is that everything washes easily when the babies cover me in sick, food etc!

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 06-Feb-18 07:47:00

Boden does sell really well on eBay though. I saw vests yesterday only a few quid less than full price.

I'm putting my boden blazer on eBay. It's too old for me & I should have sent it back at the time. It's business wear not contrived casual wear.

ememem84 Tue 06-Feb-18 07:58:04

Just updated on t’other thread. Will read back and catch up. X

WreckTangled Tue 06-Feb-18 08:14:34

Oh no em your mum always sounds so nice it doesn't seem like her to be like that! Hope you have a better day today

JustMarriedAndLovingIt Tue 06-Feb-18 08:21:29

Managed the best ever bargain of recent times, I think I am still salivating over it😂 Got two National Express tickets to Gatwick from the west country (don’t want to put where exactly) for........£4!!! Just waiting for the return journey to become available as it isn’t available just yet. Have calculated that we will save approx £100 on the cost of fuel and parking.

General savings this month have been:

Making use of my O2 priority code for free coffees etc
Saved £350pa by changing to NPower
Haggled Virgin media down to £32 from £58pcm after threatening to leave
Been walking more. Aiming to shave £30-40 pcm off fuel.

Fluffycloudland77 Tue 06-Feb-18 08:25:20

That's a brilliant saving. Plus you won't have to worry about the car getting damaged in the car park or driving when tired.

ememem84 Tue 06-Feb-18 08:29:14

wreck me too! I just couldn’t believe it that she kept coming back to argue again. The second time I just carried on doing what I was doing and let her rant. Must really take her keys back too...

I used a free bet on betfair on Sunday and plonked it on the eagles to win super bowl. They did so I’m about £14 up. Woop. And because of my Super Bowl win they’ve sent me £5 free bet. So I’ll use that later. I only bet free bets or winnings. I don’t think (apart from when I went to ascot) I’ve ever used my own money there.

Made £7.90 on eBay over the weekend. So have to post those today. Ds and I are braving the coop for a food shop today.

LonelyOversharer Tue 06-Feb-18 08:34:55

Thanks mammy for the thread. Dp is taking the dc to school as it is snowing here, just. Very light and powdery stuff. He thinks I'm a shit driver. Even though he's written off tonnes of cars, and me just the one, that was worth so little it wasn't worth repairing (when I spun it into a ditch). Maybe he has a fair point...

Spending guilt is what the thread has given me. It's great. I ponder big spends on clothes for the dc now, before I'd just pile it all up.

I have a jade Boden velvet coat. It was 'me' seven years ago. But now, I'm not sure I'll ever wear it. I should sell it, as vintage, not quite ready yet.

I also spent £13 topping up my O2 yesterday, but this gives me enough for 2 months of bundles. It worked out well last month, I ran out of data 4 days before top up.

Will need milk later, but might get that free in the co-op. I won't order the skip until the westher is less freezy, I have plenty to get on with inside in the meanwhile.

This thread is not accepting new messages.