Talk

Advanced search

Can anyone help me to budget please. My finances are a mess

(7 Posts)
LessMoneyMoreProblems Mon 01-Jan-18 23:09:23

And I don't know where to start sad

I feel like I just haemorrhage money and next year (2019) my finances are going to drastically reduce so I need to try and save

OP’s posts: |
frustratedashell Mon 01-Jan-18 23:40:14

What are your outgoings?

Fekko Mon 01-Jan-18 23:42:48

Start with a pen and pad and write every single outgoing down - even dentist, hairdressers, clothing, entertainment etc. Get a statement from the bank and start keeping track of every penny and give yourself retalistic goals- is it saving or paying off a debt?

LessMoneyMoreProblems Mon 01-Jan-18 23:45:51

I have debts and I need to save.

I am on ESA and in Jan 2019 my ESA runs out and I will be out back on the assessment rate, so ideally I need to try and save for that and for Christmas 2018
I will write everything down tomorrow. I just feel a bit lost

OP’s posts: |
MamaBearto2 Mon 01-Jan-18 23:54:49

Check out Martin Lewis website. He's a money expert. Good luck

MrsTerryPratchett Tue 02-Jan-18 00:02:10

I teach this stuff!

First find out what you actually DO. That means writing down everything you spend. Everything.

Then you look at it critically and work out how to make the easiest cuts. The wasting money stuff. Bank fees, if you haven't moved things from expensive debt to cheap. The lazy stuff like coffees and snacks.

You need a rainy day fund so put away a little amount to that every month without fail.

You need to work out WHY you are overspending. Each item that's a 'want' or unnecessary, think about why you spend that money. Is it laziness, emotional spending, feeling tired, wanting to fit in, there's a million reasons. You need to work out what those needs are so you can meet them free or more cheaply.

mammymammyIRL Tue 02-Jan-18 21:02:17

Join us on Frugaleers thread
People in all kinds of financial situations over there who can advise/hand hold

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in