Talk

Advanced search

Affording nice things on a budget?

(7 Posts)
DelilahParis Mon 16-Oct-17 10:38:23

Has anyone got any tips for affording nice/luxury items on a budget? I just seem to only ever be able to afford clothes from Primark and supermarkets, and can only dream of ever being able to afford a decent handbag!

Redhead17 Mon 16-Oct-17 10:55:27

I've been to carboots, one I go to i have managed to pick up converse in a box £2, jack wills hoody £2, catch Kidston dress £1, Hollis tee and super dry tees for £1, hollister dresses for a couple quod, Karen Millen top £1, red baker dress £1 (looked it up and it would of cost over £100) I've got uggs for £3, I get the kids lots of stuff too, Boden, Zara, joules and etc one lady was selling everything for 10p I spent £11

DelilahParis Mon 16-Oct-17 10:57:27

Wow they are amazing bargains, Redhead!

There aren't any decent boot sales where I live, I will have to travel further afield a bit to have a look at some good ones.

chanie44 Mon 16-Oct-17 21:16:42

Save up any money that you were going to spend and use it in the sales instead of in Primark. If you aren't fussy, the end of the sales can be really good - last week, I bought my children some tshirts from Gap which were £2.99 each, down from £10.

If you want a particular item, you could stalk it, until it's reduced. I saw a dress I wanted for £80, which got reduced to £65, then £35 and finally £25. This only works for stores that don't have the quick turnaround of top shop and h & m.

Department stores online can be an easy search under the sale tab as you can type in your size and you can see all sale items in your size.

TK maxx is good for a browse, but I normally don't have the patience for this. The homewares can be good. I saw some Joseph Joseph kitchen utensils for £5 and they sell in John Lewis for £10.

Ebay can also be good if you want to look for a particular brand. Many items are brand new with tags.

I take advantage of Sainsbury's 25% off clothing. I buy all the children's underwear from there when it's on offer and put away until needed. You can then spend the saving on something else.

notmrscookie Wed 18-Oct-17 08:14:10

I also do carboots or Facebook selling sites. Have got some fan things but also sell things on there to put money towards new things .

Sleepysausage Wed 18-Oct-17 22:16:18

I am on a mailing list for Boden and often get sent £10 vouchers. Then I look for a 20%off code online. I find it makes a big difference and often i don't think it costs more than I would spend on a nice top in the supermarket.

Nandoshoes Wed 18-Oct-17 22:22:56

Depop

I am to tight to pay full price for most things so I use depop. You can get everything cheap which people may have used a few times

It's also good for buying makeup that people haven't got on with or used once etc.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now