Cheapest weekly grocery list/meals

(22 Posts)
Letmesleepalready Fri 28-Jul-17 07:59:21

We are looking at buying a house and the costs are quickly adding up, so I was hoping you could help me figure out some really cheap meals so we can save up for the little expenses we are probably forgetting (like mail redirection) I'm thinking if we could cut our food budget to the minimum for the next two months we'll have a bit of breathing space. We also have to save up for school uniform bits as DD1 might be changing school (depending on the move), and the uniforms are a different colour.
It's for 2 adults and 2 DCs.

OP’s posts: |
JoNapot Fri 28-Jul-17 16:48:06

Lentils are cheap. We like lentils with other veg in tomato sauce with pasta. It's a cheap meal cheap too.

Look at your current bills and spot the waste. One example: don't buy juices and smoothies as they are not meant to be that good for us anyway. A couple of bags of oranges on offer or punnets of plums on offer would more satisfying, cheaper and healthier.

I have a friend who swears by Lidl for saving money. I can't get there , it's all about your circumstances really.

Letmesleepalready Fri 28-Jul-17 17:46:13

Thanks! I went through the bank statement today and we spent a ridiculous amount on food this month. We really need to keep an eye on that, as we can't afford to spend that much!

We have an Aldi near by and it helps somewhat, but the top up shops really do add up. I used to meal plan but recently it's been a lot more hit and miss!

MikeUniformMike Fri 28-Jul-17 18:16:13

Definitely meal plan. Also make sure you use up the food in your cupboard and freezer - you've already bought it. Cook from scratch. Give treats a miss. Don't eat out. Buy food that keeps fresh longer. Buy own brand. Pick cheaper veg. Shop near closing time to get the yellow sticker items. Shop around - prices vary. Shop after a large meal not when you're hungry. Don't buy soft drinks or bottled water. Use full fat milk in tea and coffee - it goes a lot further.

Letmesleepalready Fri 28-Jul-17 18:25:15

Oh, I didn't know that about the milk! We buy full fat anyway as DH prefers it, but didn't realise it was saving us money.
And the treats are definitely being cut, we've got in a really bad habit of almost daily snacks shop trips.

JoNapot Fri 28-Jul-17 18:43:55

Take a look at money saving expert website, the old style money saving board has threads with tons of tips on cutting down grocery costs.

Letmesleepalready Fri 28-Jul-17 18:47:51

Oh yes, before I came on MN I used to read a lot of the Old Style boards, but mostly for cleaning tips!

Advertisement

MikeUniformMike Fri 28-Jul-17 19:23:19

I reckon the full fat milk lasts longer in the fridge, but if you put it in tea or coffee it makes it whiter than skimmed or semi-skimmed so you put less in. On cereal, it is more filling.
As you are about to move, cut down on different cleaning products, or use up the ones you have.

AdoraBell Fri 28-Jul-17 22:01:44

Go through your freezer and cupboards and list what you have. Then see what meals can be made before you buy more.

As suggested, lentils are really good. They can bulk out meat based meals or you can name soup. Someone on the Frugaleers thread once said she makes a huge pot of lentil soup for a week's lunches. Then, fe, on Monday it's plain-ish lentil soup, Tuesday add chilli powder, Wednesday mixed Italian herbs, Thursday curry style spices.

Also, vegetable based meals a few times each week helps keep costs down.

Letmesleepalready Fri 28-Jul-17 22:04:24

I'll have to try that! We never seem to cook the lentils right, so will have to practice.

namechangedtoday15 Fri 28-Jul-17 22:16:03

Cheap meals here :

Broad bean & lemon risotto (onion, half a bag of frozen broad beans, stock, rice, bit of parmesan, lemon)
Egg & homemade chips
Spaghetti carbonara
Chicken ramen (like a spicy broth with veg, small amount of cooked chicken, noodles)
Leek & potato soup
Beans on toast
Spanish tortilla
Jacket potatoes with whatever filling you have

Rhubarbtart9 Fri 28-Jul-17 22:16:10

Chickpea curry

Rhubarbtart9 Fri 28-Jul-17 22:17:25

Spanish omelette

Rhubarbtart9 Fri 28-Jul-17 22:18:11

Stew is the cheapest way to go meat

Letmesleepalready Sat 29-Jul-17 07:18:36

Thanks namechanged I'll try the risotto, pretty sure we have broad beans lurking in the kitchen.
rhubarb we have a tin of chickpeas that I didn't know what to make with, so will try the curry!

ifonly4 Sun 30-Jul-17 19:19:32

If you're hoping to move, use all your old packets and tins of food as you won't want to pack it all. That will reduce your spending on the approach a little.

We have set a weekly food budget and I make sure I stick to it. I add up roughly what it's totalling as I go along and if it's getting high quickly think of cheaper options, ie biscuits cost less than cake etc. I often make a tomato sauce for pasta, basic recipe onion, garlic and value tomatoes and just add whatever we have in the house - sweetcorn, peppers, herbs, chilli, tuna, chicken, quorn, sometimes I just add a little cheese on top or turn it into a bake with breadcrumbs and cheese. Every time it's different, can be as cheap as you want it and a good way of using some things up. Jacket potato and beans are filling. Also, I cook onion, pepper, sweetcorn, add a tomato or two, baked beans, pepper and chilli and serve with rice. Make sure you don't waste any food, so regularly look at what needs using up and if you have leftovers have them the following day for lunch or tea.

Letmesleepalready Sun 30-Jul-17 20:14:36

Thanks ifonly4
We've made a list of all the food in the house so will try and use it all up (so many lentils that we never use!)

ExConstance Wed 02-Aug-17 14:25:01

1. Meal plan
2. Eat the same thing 2 days running (or with a day in between)
3. buy one domestic item e.g. toilet rolls or dishwasher tablets each week and buy the biggest you can afford. Buying small packets because you have run out of everything in the same week is expensive.
Cheapest meals? Anna Jones Lentil Ragu with spaghetti or baked potato, or a shepherds pie made with white beans, courgette and smoked paprika as the ingredients in the base ( with tinned tomato, onion etc) and mix of ordinary and sweet potato on top.

Gooseberrycrumble4 Wed 02-Aug-17 17:11:06

BBC good food has excellent recipes by the way

Letmesleepalready Wed 02-Aug-17 17:29:57

ExConstance I'll have to try that shepherds pie! We seem to have a ridiculous amount of tins of beans to go through!

gooseberry yes, I find that it's the main website I use when I'm looking for inspiration for specific ingredients.

SilentBob Wed 02-Aug-17 17:34:18

I make shepherdless pie at work!
Lentils and/or any other pulses, mushrooms, veg stock and boil until lentils are soft and stock is thick. Top with mashed potatoes/root veg/cheese as preferred. Serve with any random veg and gravy or pickled cabbage or beetroot. I like it and I am not a veggie.

Star2015 Sun 03-Sep-17 09:15:39

Definitely meal plan... but not just around what you have in your cupboards and freezer but also based on what meat and veg is on offer the supermarket (I.e Aldi and Lidl weekly specials).

We freeze all of our meat and veg and just get portions out the night before... we have reduced waste massively.

Bake some brownies or a cake to have as a treat in the week rather than buying them.

Have non meat days, things like cheese and potato pie, rissotto, veg curry.

When you do have meat have half the portion you'd normally have and bulk it out with veg like mushrooms and peppers.

Drink squash instead of fizzy pop.

Good luck!

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in