Talk

Advanced search

Does anyone only use cash?

(9 Posts)
PumpkinPie2016 Thu 13-Apr-17 12:53:33

Hismile

Although me and DH are pretty frugal anyway, I know for a fact that we waste money - things like popping in the co op for milk top ups but spending £10 on random things - sweets/a cake etc.

We are very good at ensuring we have the cheapest utilities/use a very reasonable and reliable mechanic/have the cheapest phone and internet. However, day to say we still seem to spend more than we'd like.

I'm guilty of taking DS (3) to the park/library/soft play and ending up buying lunch in the cafe! I also sometimes buy a school lunch or lunch from the bakery on the way to school - this is expensive and I know I could do my own but when I'm shattered/have a busy week I end up doing itblush

So, this last week, I have tried using cash more rather than my debit card - it has worked quite well and so I am considering using cash for food/fuel/day to day and then only the bills are paid from my bank.
Has anyone else done this? Did it help you to stop wasting money?

In addition, last week when I took DS to soft play, I timed it so that we didn't need food while there and I plan to keep that up to reduce spending in that way.

We could really do with cutting down on spending, hence my post on here so any advice would be appreciated.

pipsqueak25 Thu 13-Apr-17 15:10:20

i've started doing the same as you and using cash when i'm out, use it for food shop etc, really makes me keep things under control, i don't have credit cards and take a set amount of cash each week from atm to keep me on track.
savings have improved and i've cleared some debt to boot, what's there not to like ? smile

LittlePinkPiggy Thu 13-Apr-17 15:28:04

I do all of my food shopping, cleaning products and personal care products in cash, as a way of being more careful with my spending and paying off some debts. I basically withdraw the cash I think I will need at the beginning of the month and that's it! I know that I have to make it last until the end of the month so I definitely end up spending less than I would if I used a card. When I first started doing this I couldn't believe how much I was saving and had left in our account at the end of each month. It really makes money mean something again.

Allice Thu 13-Apr-17 15:40:07

I try to use cash, I find I'm much more measured. Handing my card over is no problem but I resent handing over much cash!

Leatherboundanddown Thu 13-Apr-17 19:04:53

Yes I mainly use cash other than purchases online. I try not to use my card in shops if I don't have to.

UrbanYokel Thu 13-Apr-17 19:06:18

I often use cash but not 100% of the time. I think it's easy to spend on cards but seeing the physical cash makes you consider your spending more.

PinkBuffalo Thu 13-Apr-17 19:08:48

I'm a big user of cash for day to day things as well. I really only use my card for 'big' purchases, or getting my petrol once a week. I am saving hard, and agree it helps you keep a handle on little spends.

user1497212915 Mon 12-Jun-17 09:03:27

I think I'm going to adopt this for future use now. I have 5k worth of debt to clear by January 2018 and know that our biggest problem is using the card here and there.

Any other suggestions on saving to pay off debt would be welcome! Xx

bimbobaggins Tue 20-Jun-17 18:49:06

Yes, I. A big fan of using cash. It really does help me cut back. I find it too easy handing over my debit card then before you know it you've forgotten how much you've spent.
I also try to use the envelope system. I withdraw a certain amount on pay day and assign it to different envelopes for certain things, i.e. Petrol , groceries, window cleaner are some of my examples

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now