Housing benefit question

(10 Posts)
TangfasticFanatic Wed 12-Apr-17 19:52:30

This is going to be a bit confusing as I don't really know what I'm trying to ask!

If I work 16 hours - or less.. living in a housing association property, will I still have to pay towards my rent? Or will housing benefit cover it all? Trying to work out what I can and can't afford before I jump in and get stuck!

OP’s posts: |
TangfasticFanatic Wed 12-Apr-17 20:19:19

Any help/advice gratefully received smile

OP’s posts: |
AndNowItIsSeven Wed 12-Apr-17 20:21:59

It depends on your income how much your rent is ,if you have dc are sock /disabled etc

AndNowItIsSeven Wed 12-Apr-17 20:22:13


Mc180768 Wed 12-Apr-17 21:31:03

Housing benefit is awarded based on income.

If you're under occupied in social housing, you'll be liable for bedroom tax which will not be covered by Housing benefit.

What are you trying to ask?

Housing benefit will want to know the following:

How many people are resident in the property. Over age of 18

Your income
What benefits you're claiming/applied for
Dependent children living with you
Rental costs.

If you're self-employed - you'll have to send in a copy of your bank statements. You'll also have to complete a basic form from HB on SE income.

HB is dependent on income. Not how many hours you work.

TangfasticFanatic Wed 12-Apr-17 22:14:51

I already get HB but my hours could potentially drop to 16 per week.. at £7.50 an hour. So I was trying to find out if I would still have to pay it if my income dropped.

OP’s posts: |
Mc180768 Thu 13-Apr-17 05:11:51

Ah right.

If your income drops, inform the Local Authority of a change in circumstances. It's likely they would want proof.


Ifailed Thu 13-Apr-17 05:26:23

Don't forget there is now a cap on housing benefit:

If you’re getting Housing Benefit, the cap outside Greater London is:

£384.62 a week if you’re a couple - with or without dependent children
£384.62 a week if you’re a lone parent with dependent children
£257.69 a week if you’re a single person without children

If you're getting Housing Benefit, the cap in Greater London is:

£442.31 a week if you're a couple - with or without dependent children
£442.31 a week if you're a lone parent with dependent children
£296.35 a week if you're a single person without children.

amy85 Wed 19-Apr-17 15:05:05

If your hours drop your housing benefit will probably increase...It might not increase enough to cover your whole rent tho so you'd still have to pay for some

Afreshstartplease Wed 19-Apr-17 15:06:48

Look on the entitled to website

Join the discussion

To comment on this thread you need to create a Mumsnet account.

Join Mumsnet

Already have a Mumsnet account? Log in