Talk

Advanced search

ok, i have done a spending spread sheet to find out what i spend money on

(35 Posts)
NormaSmuff Wed 05-Apr-17 07:51:52

now what
How do I stop?
i was very proud popping to tesco the other day and only buying the bare minimum, very hard to resist the temptations
what next?

DrinkFeckArseGirls Wed 05-Apr-17 07:59:17

Don't pop in to tesco's. I stopped popping in to my local supermarket and suddenly aS able to stay within our weekly food budget. I do two shops in a week, either both online of one online one in the shop but it's never a small top up (which always end up not sk small)- just a proper shop.

00100001 Wed 05-Apr-17 07:59:48

Well what do you spend your money on?

What are you trying to achieve? Saving x amount per month for something? Clearing debt?

smile

NormaSmuff Wed 05-Apr-17 08:01:09

clearing debt.

thatstoast Wed 05-Apr-17 08:01:50

Is there a particular area of spending that jumps out? Perhaps you could make some lifestyle changes to avoid spending.

Could you try only taking cash out with you for a few weeks?

Eatingcheeseontoast Wed 05-Apr-17 08:05:33

Ditto. Stopped popping to the shops and on line and started thinking about spending and I'm a £1000 a month better off. Tracking spending with an app helps me.

Using up what I've got rather than buying more, it's working for food, make up and clothes.

Eventually that'll stop as stuff runs out or wears out, but I'm really thinking before I buy something.

With food it's thinking instead of buying spaghetti I'll use up the odd pasta shapes first....etc

itsacatastrophe Wed 05-Apr-17 08:07:22

So I spending spreadsheet for at least 3 months, recording every penny you spend. You'll soon realise where you are wasting money and can cut back.

quantummechanics Wed 05-Apr-17 08:07:40

Maybe we could help better if you wanted to share what's on the sheet?

Then (for example) somebody might suggest you walk to work instead of the bus, or have one takeaway a month instead of 3. Obviously I have no idea of your circumstances so those probably don't apply. But it's hard to suggest where to save money if we don't know how you're spending it, iyswim...

RafaIsTheKingOfClay Wed 05-Apr-17 08:09:11

Depending on how quickly you need to cut down, I'd start with looking at the stuff you think you can cut out most easily.

If you haven't already, look at sorting your spending into categories and budgeting for each category. I use YNAB but you could do it just as easily without.

NormaSmuff Wed 05-Apr-17 08:13:30

i went on money saving expert and debt free wannabee talked about paying credit card every day.
anyone else done this?
even if its just £4 or something?
is that advisable.?
i did try seeing what I had available but it was scary.

NormaSmuff Wed 05-Apr-17 08:15:09

we did have a mother's day meal last month. against my better judgement.
and this month I would like a trip out over the holidays with my teens, one of whom is home from uni. but perhaps a free or cheaper trip might be in order.

nannynick Wed 05-Apr-17 08:17:24

Have you identified your Latte Factor?

For me it really was Latte, I was spending a lot at Starbucks and at cafes in general. I would go for a walk around a local lake and stop at the cafe for a latte, and even a bacon roll on occasion.

Tracking your spending you should be able to spot things you spend money on, possible not that much each time but which add up over a month.

NormaSmuff Wed 05-Apr-17 08:19:08

tomatoes.
i have to have tomatoes and bananas in the house

and milk and bread and cheese, of course.

nannynick Wed 05-Apr-17 08:21:13

For debts, make a list by value. If you intend to pay them all off over the next year or two, the interest is not a major factor. The key is to stop accumulating more debt, pay off large amounts of existing debt, change your general behaviour towards spending.

Pay off the smallest debt first, it helps to see the debt going away, it lightens the load and makes you realise that if you are determined, you can pay off debt.

00100001 Wed 05-Apr-17 08:22:54

If you won't share where you are spending money. It's really hard for us to help smile

How much do you spend on groceries, for how many people?

How much are you spending on gas., electric, mobiles etc? Can you go to a simple only contract? What are you doing to reduce your bills?

Do you smoke? Drink?

How much are you spending on TV services and Internet? Could you just go down to freeview?

How much are you spending on travel?
Do you need to be doing that?

How much are you spending going out? how often are you going out? Are there better choices?

We need a bit more info

squishysquirmy Wed 05-Apr-17 08:23:42

Avoid top up shops (when you go in for milk, and walk out having spent another £20 on other stuff!) by making sure you get everything you need for the week in one shop. Meal plan, look what you have in the cupboards vs what you need, write a shopping list and stick to it.

I'd also say that depending on how bad your circumstances are, and how urgent it is to cut your debt, be realistic about what you can manage to start with: Like if someone goes on an extreme diet to lose weight, and cuts out all sweet foods, they will have a higher chance of failing than someone who goes on a diet but allows themselves the occasional desert.

nannynick Wed 05-Apr-17 08:26:36

Cutting back on fruit/veg won't save you much and they are good for you.

Unless you are buying them by a 10kg crate weekly, I doubt tomatoes are the issue.

Are your older teens earning and contributing towards household finances? Paper round, babysitting, car washing, grass cutting, every little bit helps.

NormaSmuff Wed 05-Apr-17 08:32:43

thank you.
i am happy to try and clear the smallest credit card off first. i think i read you should clear the one with the largest interest. but i have cleared a small credit card debt in the past, on a couple of occasions, two different cards. so yes, I might plough the money into the smallest debts.
i am with eon, gas and elec 103 a month
we have netflix but dh is begrudging cutting that down.
going out? it doesnt happen, apart from meal last month.
have to go to work soon so will pop back here later

NormaSmuff Wed 05-Apr-17 08:39:18

dd of 17 has a part time job but i couldnt take money from her, i struggle to get the money she owes me as it is

NormaSmuff Wed 05-Apr-17 08:41:05

If i cant afford the tomatoes, i put them on the credit card.
if i cant afford the weekly shop, i put it on the credit card, and have to do it online because i dont have the pin and having an online shop means i have to spend £40.
i am wrong to do this i know.

nannynick Wed 05-Apr-17 08:48:53

Ditch the credit card, live within your means. Increase income. Great that your DD is working, hopefully that means she is not asking you for money but is spending her own money on entertainment.

Do a budget, tell the money where to go otherwise it slips though your fingers. Make bills automatic - following payday, have standing orders setup to pay the vital bills... you may have some already on direct debit or standing order.

Going to work, great idea. Best way to stop spending money is to be busy at work. Do avoid any vending machines at work! Take your own packed lunch if you don't get a heavily subsidised lunch at work.

nannynick Wed 05-Apr-17 08:51:26

If you can't afford tomatoes, don't buy them. "They are not in the budget this week" will become a common phase in your household.

The more spent on one category in the budget will reduce what there is to spend in another. So if you want tomatoes, you need to reduce another category.

WankersHacksandThieves Wed 05-Apr-17 08:56:40

Do you have a sunny window you can grow tomatoes on? That would help for the summer anyway.

00100001 Wed 05-Apr-17 09:01:22

How much is your household income? Supporting how many people?

DH needs to buck up with the Netflix

thatstoast Wed 05-Apr-17 10:48:43

As much as i love mumsnet, moneysavingexpert is probably the best site for clearing debt. You need to be really honest with yourself about the situation though.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now