Talk

Advanced search

Cheap meal ideas for a self catering holiday

(14 Posts)
ChocolateSherberts2017 Fri 31-Mar-17 19:48:48

Just that really, we're going away on an self catering holiday over Easter for 4 nights. There's four of us but then we will be joined by friends for the last 2 nights. In total there'll be 4 adults and 3 primary aged kids.

I've got cereal for breakfast and will be taking packed lunches on our days out. I'm stuck for dinner ideas, we will be eating in for three of the four nights.

I'd like to keep cooking to a minimum and cheap and cheerful as possible. Tia

DoItTooJulia Fri 31-Mar-17 19:50:04

Hot dogs
Pizza
Onlmlette and salad
Picky bits

TheCakes Fri 31-Mar-17 19:50:31

What type of cooking facilities will you have? I'd probably do a big pan of chilli one night, a BBQ another night

ChocolateSherberts2017 Fri 31-Mar-17 19:54:04

Thanks for your suggestions, that's what I was after. There's a fully equipped kitchen but no bbq unless I take a small disposable one with me. I might just do that as the kids will love having a bbq as long as the weather stays nice.

Thanks keep the ideas coming.

MrsPringles Fri 31-Mar-17 19:54:14

Jacket potatoes and fillings
Hot dogs
Pasta bake
Chilli/mild curry and rice
Chicken traybake (thighs, onions, potatoes, pepper with chorizo and paprika all bunged on a tray and cooked together)
Special fried rice

Keepcalmanddrinkcoffee Fri 31-Mar-17 20:09:27

We are also going self catering for 4 days. I have a,ready made.
1 Shepards pie with lots of veg in it.
Sausage and bean casserole. Will take micro rice to go with it.
Pizza.
Chippy tea.

AdaColeman Fri 31-Mar-17 20:24:47

Pasta carbonara or pasta prima vera or pasta with chopped mozzarella, chopped fresh tomatoes, olives,salami, etc etc stirred in.

Pasta with a ready made cheese sauce or other ready made sauce. Maybe stir some chopped bacon in for added interest.

Pea and bacon risotto (or mushroom)

AdaColeman Fri 31-Mar-17 20:28:00

Are you able to get an on-line shop delivered to your destination? That would probably increase your options and be quite convenient too.

Leatherboundanddown Mon 03-Apr-17 11:11:24

I'd do a risotto. I like chorizo and veg. Serve with a big bowl of salad.

Cook a big chilli and then lay out on the table with micro rice/salsa/sour cream/dips. Grated cheese. Plenty of wraps to make burritos. Bowl of salad. People will be stuffed plus kids love this. You could continue the mexican theme by getting some coronas/tequilas in for the adults.

Spag bol and garlic bread.

Jacket potatoes and bowls of fillings for people to add their own. Beans/tuna/coleslaw/cheese. V cheap and kid friendly.

Curry. Poppadoms/naan bread/dips etc. Aldi sell all this really cheaply.

Notreallyhappy Mon 03-Apr-17 23:37:39

Menu plan before you go and freeze to take with you
Pot of chilli tray of lasagne or bolognaise. Garlic bread slices.
Take couple jars curry sauce (aldi /lidl) freeze the day before a pack of chicken for the whole party. Plus rice that can be cooked there. Micro rice is expensive..
Have you got a George type grill?? Take it for the last night. Have a BBQ cooked indoors- sausage burgers jacket potatoes any left over chilli. Make up a rice salad & a couple of cheap pizzas.
Careful planning and you won't need to get anything when your there.
And get the other couple to dip in with the food too.

CountryCaterpillar Mon 03-Apr-17 23:44:46

Hmmmm all founds fab.

ChocolateSherberts2017 Wed 05-Apr-17 15:22:19

All very helpful tips thank you.
This is what we've planned so far
1st night eat out
2nd night macaroni cheese
3rd night tuna pasta bake
4th night hots dogs, salad and corn on the cobs

Thanks everyone for your ideas

kennycat Tue 11-Apr-17 20:22:32

We self cater each time so I've got a menu I just roll out each time...

I take a bolognese/chilli that does the first and sibyl even second night. Take pasta to do with it.
Pizza and beans
Roast chick and jack potatoes this year as its Easter Sunday.
The chicken will then do stir fry the next night
Eat out one lunch so have sandwich tea
Leftovers/omelette
Fish and chips

I've learnt over the years that I'm rubbish at making mash in a strange kitchen ( unfamiliar peeler, hob and pan conspire against me) so this time thought maybe about using frozen mash, which is actually quite tasty, or micro rice as suggested in some posts. Yes it's pricier than normal rice but it's not astronomical and it's not every day!

Enjoy your holiday.

robomum40 Tue 11-Apr-17 21:16:27

All great ideas 😁 Can use when we go away in August

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now