Talk

Advanced search

Anyone want to join me in using up toiletries challenge?

(24 Posts)
listsandbudgets Wed 29-Mar-17 10:46:10

I appear to have an obscene quantity of toiletries - presents, impulse buys, tiny bottles from hotels,nice bars of soap from TK maxx, routine buys in weekly shop because I haven't bothered checking.

I've decided to use the lot up - all those funny scented things given as gifts, all the half used bottles hanging about, those bottles of body lotion that come as part of sets - the whole damned lot. It could take me a year or more to get through them blush

In the meantime I'm only going to buy something if a search of the cupboards reveals we've completely run out of that something. The day there really is NO MORE shower gel or shampoo or conditioner I'll buy some but until then NO MORE. If that means gingerbread scented shampoo on my hair or lemon curd scented shower gel so be it!

Eclecticmama Wed 29-Mar-17 21:25:11

i'll join... I have obscene quantities of toothpaste, and shampoo - but at least I'll easily use them up. The epsom salts however... they may take a while to use up the kg pack i bought!

I was bought some dead sea spa stuff that has been gathering dust - might crack them out!

woodhill Wed 29-Mar-17 21:36:06

Have you seen the existing thread "ashamed of my beauty hoard" OP. Please come and join.

listsandbudgets Thu 30-Mar-17 07:34:51

I havent woodhill do you have a link please.?

I have to add toothpaste to the list NINE unopened tubes... blame dp for this he likes to buy the stuff in bulk

ChocolateSherberts2017 Thu 30-Mar-17 13:58:06

I'm doing this too but I've cheated a little bit by donating the really sweet and floral smelling toiletries to the local food bank. I can't stand sweet or floral scents as they make me gag but I know my local food bank always need toiletries so I was happy to donate.

ChocolateSherberts2017 Thu 30-Mar-17 14:02:35

www.mumsnet.com/Talk/style_and_beauty/2860739-Ashamed-of-my-beauty-product-hoard-part-5

woodhill Thu 30-Mar-17 17:26:41

Thanks Chocolate

elephantcuddles Fri 31-Mar-17 04:33:43

Oh I want to join too! I like this one. Can we do a makeup one too? Makeup is my biggest weakness. I don't need anymore makeup. Skin care, body wash, etc are also weaknesses of mine. I need to use what I've got.

PenelopeFlintstone Fri 31-Mar-17 05:01:42

The epsom salts however... they may take a while to use up the kg pack i bought!
I think these can be used up in the garden for something but I'm unsure what flowersflowersflowers

Eclecticmama Fri 31-Mar-17 12:10:37

Thanks Penelope, might Google things i can do with epsom salts

Ollivander84 Fri 31-Mar-17 15:12:39

Epsom salts in the bath. A kg bag = about 4-6 baths wink but use them at night as they knock me out!

NotdeadyetBOING Fri 31-Mar-17 19:24:06

Brilliant plan. I want to join too and agree with PP about including make-up. Long to have streamlined bathroom life and this might be the first step towards it (without wasteful chucking of things).

Only fly in the ointment is that it is v. handy having tiny travel sized toiletries for - well - travel. That is how I justify hanging on to them all. That - and keeping things 'for special' rather than just USING them.

dibdobs Sun 02-Apr-17 07:43:09

Ooh sorry but what are Epsom salts exactly is it actual salt?!

prettymess Sun 02-Apr-17 08:33:14

Epsom salts are magnesium sulphate. You can use it in the bath for aching muscles etc. It comes in a paste too for drawing out books or splinters. It is also used in digestive health. Very diverse!

prettymess Sun 02-Apr-17 08:33:47

Boils not books!

Iris65 Sun 02-Apr-17 08:36:07

I'm signing up. So many different bottles, presents, samples etc.

Allofaflumble Sun 02-Apr-17 15:02:45

I clean shoes with body lotion. You could also shave your underarms/legs with it?

dibdobs Wed 05-Apr-17 21:17:52

Ooh thanks pretty mess I have digestive problems ! Will have to try it

elephantcuddles Thu 06-Apr-17 20:18:10

I used up a whole pot of E45 cream and my La Roche Posay SPF. I hated the SPF. It was thick and white and would not blend in no matter what. Only wore it around the house. Wouldn't want anyone to come knocking at my door because it would look like I'm deathly ill or maybe a ghost. Glad that one's done.

pinkieandperkie Thu 06-Apr-17 20:28:30

Epsom salts have loads of uses. I mix a handful with face wash to exfoliate face and body. Also mix the salts in with your hair conditioner and leave on for ten minutes and it really thickens fine hair.

TupperwareTat Thu 13-Apr-17 05:42:01

I use old shampoo as handwash & squirt it in the loo, so it smells nice

Im up for the challenge.

I group things together, so I can see exactly how much of each I have.

MaisyPops Sun 16-Apr-17 07:39:52

Can I join this!?
I need something like this. I have so many half used bottles of stuff. A couple need tk go out/be passed to family to try because I couldnt get away with them (rash etc sensitive skin). But ive been so guilty of buying my nice things on offer and now have a small Boots in my cupbkard

Zoflorabore Mon 17-Apr-17 23:35:37

I'm in too smile
Have a full size cupboard in my bathroom with lots of storage/pretty baskets all ready to be organised and the reality is bags and bags of toiletries and beauty products.
will post a list tomorrow smile

roverrange Tue 18-Apr-17 22:26:55

It's bloody body lotions that just go on and on in my house

I use them for shaving, but they just seems to hand around forever.

And bastard hand creams angry

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now