Online food shop vs Aldi

(21 Posts)
anyname123 Wed 08-Feb-17 19:25:21

Due back to work soon after ML. All the advice would suggest that online foodating shopping will be my best friend.
I presently shop at Aldi, can online shopping be not much more expensive as you're not throwing random crap into your trolley? And if so which supremarket works out best value once delivery costs are factored in?
Any help appreciated for a hapless novice who likes to squeeze fruit before buying and find long dates on things

Gallavich Wed 08-Feb-17 19:27:32

Aldi and Lidl will still be cheaper than an online shop. I don't buy random crap at Aldi or Lidl because they don't stock so much of it.
I sometimes do an online shop at Tesco for the same ££ as my Lidl shop but I bring home less food.

DJKKSlider Wed 08-Feb-17 19:27:32

We go to tesco and pick tesco brands instead of other brands. It comes in pretty cheap, about £30-£40 a week for 2 adults and toddler. I meal plan for a fortnight though.
The only thing we run out of is milk.

EssentialHummus Wed 08-Feb-17 19:28:08

For quality/freshness I really rate Ocado, and they're not as expensive as people sometimes think. In your shoes I'd put a typical shop into the main supermarkets and see what comes out cheapest. Also remember that most will offer £20 off your first shop/first fee shops so worth trying out more than one.

ChocolateButton15 Wed 08-Feb-17 19:31:50

I used to online shop with asda but they was dreadful. Full of substitutes that weren't suitable at all, always food missing and short use by dates! Also know someone that booked a click and collect with them and they gave her a slot then shut the shop before the slot time. The shopping went missing and she had to wait days for a refund

anyname123 Wed 08-Feb-17 19:39:54

Thanks all. chocolate that is exactly my concern, that I spend a few quid more to save time, then end up using more time complaining, desperately trying to think of ways to use food before it goes out of date etc.
I had never considered Ocado Essential, perhaps I could try them once, especially with a voucher!

gaggiagirl Wed 08-Feb-17 19:40:51

I use Asda click and collect to online shop. They guarantee dates on the product ie yogurt with 7+ days life.
They rarely sub anything and the subs are always great when I do get them.
I used to shop at Aldi and like for like its working out the same £££ but someone at Asda is doing my shopping for me.
Our local Aldi often looks like its been looted so sometimes I was having to go to asda anyway for things.

didireallysaythat Wed 08-Feb-17 19:46:12

You can use mysupermarket.co.uk to compare - I used to compare nappy prices and special deals and choose accordingly.

Once you get the hang of a supermarket's app or website you can set up lists for those things that you buy every week/fortnight whatever. Plus being able to put things into your online basket as you use them up is a real time saver.

RaisinsAndApple Wed 08-Feb-17 19:50:30

I like Morrisons for online shopping.

EssentialHummus Wed 08-Feb-17 19:50:53

Here's an Ocado £20 voucher from a quick Google- www.vouchercodes.co.uk/int/offer/4493915/aa17759824bddb7a0f3776f2316b4ce1e7cc796d/?ps=1&pageViewID=14865833914801272944803589b765fe17ab206492&wotst=&mi=ocado.com&ppc=r-x-mdheguxnstujtjuaitrfnalomfqmnmwfqyuzkrmmoquevywcqe&tl=code-title&opi=mpx&inv=online&scc=0&sss=merchant&spn=%2Focado.com&spl=smartphone&spv=14865833914801272944803589b765fe17ab206492&stv=&sui=null&sli=0&gotcode=1

ginorwine Fri 10-Feb-17 18:29:37

D j k k
Please can you tell me how you do a fortnightly shop ? Wd love to do that but wdnt fresh food such as salad , fruit and veg go off ??? Advice appriciated 💐

DJKKSlider Fri 10-Feb-17 18:57:42

ginorwine

Fruit:
Most fruit takes time to ripen in an open bowl. Take bananas for example, get some very unripened ones and some almost ripened. Leave the unripe in the bowl, eat the almost ripe first. It could take 3 or 4 days for them to even ripen and then they'll last another 5 or 6 days once ripe. About the same with most fruits really.

Salad stuff, providing you don't open it or cut bits off etc last pretty well in a cool dry place. If I do the shop on a Monday and get say 2 cucumbers. One goes into our larder, one is active and used. for sarnies

Veg, I tend to buy frozen veg tbh and it last forever, near enough.

ginorwine Wed 15-Feb-17 13:57:05

Thanks d j 😄

thenewaveragebear1983 Wed 15-Feb-17 14:04:55

Totally missing point of thread, but I love the idea of having 'active' and 'dormant' cucumbers and can imagine the family meeting when I try to explain this to the tribe!!!

There's no way I could do a 2 week shop, my lot open things at random and scoff everything nice within two days.

And, back to the OP, I find Aldi /lidl cheaper than tesco even online, and the total time doing your order and putting it all away is not much less than actually going to lidl. Because it's a small shop it usually takes me about 40 minutes. I always found with online shops that something without fail every week would be 'not what I'd have chosen' and it used to anger me.

QueenPenguin Tue 21-Feb-17 14:37:29

I highly recommend Ocado, I've tried a few others (Tesco/Sainsburys/Asda) and they just aren't as good, as pp said they really aren't as expensive as people think. Website and apps are the easiest I've used. I think Morrisons come from the same depot and use the same or similar system - not that I have tried them. I'm lucky with deliveries, they tend to be near the start of my hour time slot. Always good dates on stuff, very rarely have a swap or anything missing and great own brand stuff too. I do tend to do a quick 20 mins ish shop roughly every other week in Aldi/Lidl though.

SerialReJoiner Tue 21-Feb-17 14:42:59

It depends on what you buy, really. I find Aldi/Lidl definitely cheaper, but they don't stock everything I'd like, so I need to go elsewhere for the other bits anyway. This costs me in time and money, because I'm being tempted to add extras into the trolley twice! So I just spend that little bit more for my Tesco delivery and feel it is worth it for less hassle and temptations. I have a weekly meal plan with accompanying food shopping list on my computer, so it's very easy to cut and paste into the online shopping list.

Artandco Tue 21-Feb-17 19:28:49

Ocado here. They stock everything, have 1hr delivery slots so you in waiting ages, and we only pay £1.99 for unlimited deliveries per month

Artandco Tue 21-Feb-17 19:29:44

Oh and Ocado app is really good, so allnour shopping is added by Dh and I whilst we sit on the tube or wait outside school etc

228agreenend Tue 21-Feb-17 19:36:25

I've been using tesco online and find it isn't that expensive. A lot of products have come down in price, so are comparable to Aldi etc. Also I find that vegetables last longer.

Another advantage f online shopping is that you can change you basket according to how much you are spending. Ie. If your limit is £70, and you have spent over that, you can change to,a cheaper option, remove an item etc until,you reach your budget. Also, you can shop over the week, and add in things as you remeber them.

The only disadvantage is that I sometimes forget items, whilst walking around a shop reminds you to pick up the polish or bread or wine.

228agreenend Tue 21-Feb-17 19:37:48

Regarding substitutions,, I was told by a Tesco driver that you are more likely to,have substitutions if your delivery is during an evening. Morning deliveries are usually fine.

TheJunctionBaby Sun 19-Mar-17 23:11:59

I love Ocado and got a free years delivery pass so don't pay any delivery at all. I've not yet had a Substitution and everything is really good quality. I have recently started shopping at Aldi too though and sometimes Lidl as I want to try and reduce my grocery bill further to meet some ambitious savings goals we have set ourselves

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now