Talk

Advanced search

Frugaleers, keeping their frugal resolutions in the new year. Keep on, erm, resoluting!?

(990 Posts)
Cagliostro Sat 14-Jan-17 23:22:12

Hello everyone! smile

IdStillRatherBeKnitting Sun 15-Jan-17 00:27:41

Cool, new thread, thanks Cag

Super day yesterday, as dd1 was 14. A few carefully chosen presents, and she was totally happy.

Did spend £30 in morrisons on a top up/birthday tea forgotten things shop.

Dp has bought himself a recorder. If I ever hear hot cross buns again it will be too soon.

Cath that dietician lady just sounds awful. So disappointing for you.

Tryingtosaveup Sun 15-Jan-17 00:31:45

Thanks Cag

CremeEggThief Sun 15-Jan-17 00:32:33

Cheers Cag.star

ememem84 Sun 15-Jan-17 02:33:55

Thanks cag

I'm wide awake now. Dh came to bed and couldn't sleep so got up. I've just woken up and he's not here but in the living room so went to investigate. And now am awake too. angry with self for getting up.

Well done on resisting usborne books. I love them. We had an ace one about space when I was younger.

CathodeRayTube Sun 15-Jan-17 06:41:09

Thanks Cag!

Who do I complain to Trying expect for the lady herself? I suppose I could try just emailing her.

I'm tickety boo need within usual limits. Has nice visitors yesterday and that was good.

lifelongfrugaleer Sun 15-Jan-17 07:10:17

Thanks cag
Can you take the stuff back sea?
Hope you had a good time need and weren't disturbed by any ghosties

We made the most of the afternoon and went to a park which except for diesel was free as someone gave us an all day parking ticket which l passed on when we left.
£52 on mil birthday tea.

velocitygir1 Sun 15-Jan-17 07:36:23

Hi all, I'm new to these threads so hope it's ok to join.

We have recently moved house, to a larger property and the temptation to go a bit crazy and just fill it to bursting with stuff we don't really need is very real confused
As a student I need to be a bit more restrictive and hoping a bit of support will stop me from spending willy nilly.

Bit about myself-I'm 36, married, have 3 kids- 17 (lives with his dad/my ex hubby), 12 and 10.
Full time student and full time mother/wife/maid/cook etc etc...

Looking forward to getting to know you all. (Is this how it works? If not I look a Prat lol!)

WreckTangled Sun 15-Jan-17 07:44:58

Welcome Velo. Is there anything you need to cut back on?

Should be nsd for me today, Dh is going to buy a new door but he's paying.

Breakfast is bagels with bacon and cream cheese yum! Dinner will be roast chicken.

I really want a new sofa. Ours is faded and stained. Dh said no.

lifelongfrugaleer Sun 15-Jan-17 07:51:28

Welcome velocity. That's about right as a starter. Have you tried allocated pocket money for the Willy nilly spends

WreckTangled Sun 15-Jan-17 07:58:26

girlie I jut made the dc a smoothie with banana, strawberries, milk, oats, honey and mixed seeds. They seem to like it (today at least!)

allthebestplease Sun 15-Jan-17 08:56:47

Need I hope you enjoyed your stay.
Yum to all the nice breakfast. We are out for lunch today with my parents so that will be nice.

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 15-Jan-17 09:08:44

Thank you Cag. Well done on the form.

NSD yesterday.

thewaitresses Sun 15-Jan-17 09:08:57

Hello! Ooh new thread already! I haven't been managing daily posts but have been logging my daily spends. £100pw budget is working well. It allows room for treats and entertaining (have friends coming to lunch today) as well as all formula, nappies etc and as it's realistic I'm not spending anything on my card so I can keep a very real eye on what's left in our account.

TheMonkeysOnTheTable Sun 15-Jan-17 09:09:14

Can I join you too please?
Ive no debts to pay off (have already weaned myself out of the overdraft) but I need to build up my savings and curtail my ridiculous spending habits. DH and I earn ok money but never seem to be able to afford much or have any left over money at the end of the month.

I've just done a NSW (sort of - ended up spending £25 over the week on travel to work and a tenner I gave DH). It was a total eye opener and I had to stop myself from making many many impulse purchases. I can't even remember what half of them were now!

I'm in my mid thirties and I have a 3 year old daughter.

Wildernesstips Sun 15-Jan-17 09:19:51

Welcome Monkeys and Velo.

Thanks for the new thread and keyboard advice Cag.

Reimbursed DS1 £30 for some Astro trainers he bought that I agreed I would pay for mainly because I want to encourage him to continue his sport while at uni.

Christmas could you continue the alphabet on fruit/veg theme to get him to keep trying new foods?

northender Sun 15-Jan-17 09:36:44

Thanks for the new thread Cag.
cath if she is a dietician then she has to be registered with the HCPC and is likely to be a member of the British Dietetic Association which has a code of conduct. Nutritionists however have no such regulation. I would think you would be better to spend your money on seeing a physician with an interest in CFS in order to get an established diagnosis and then working from there. That is assuming that there is no funding for CFS services in your area.

Fluffycloudland77 Sun 15-Jan-17 09:36:54

Everybody's always welcome here. Post, lurk etc.

Welcome newbies. I would urge everyone to read the threads in January's ops, the advice is there is solid gold & it saves us repeating ourselves.

£26 on a NailPilllo. Theyre usually £35 so I pounced.

northender Sun 15-Jan-17 09:50:44

cath having had a quick look at services in what I think is your area, there is a CFS team who accept GP referrals. There is a referral form on there with a very clear pathway for GPs to follow in terms of the type of symptoms that present in CFS and the blood tests/investigations which must be done prior to referral to eliminate other causes of symptoms. You may well have been through all this, I can't remember, but if not, your new GP would be a good place to start. I hope that is of some help.

mammymammyIRL Sun 15-Jan-17 10:11:36

Place marking

mammymammyIRL Sun 15-Jan-17 10:12:36

I must count change in my jeans pocket to figure out what I spent last night blush it was my 'Christmas' night out cos I was too ill at Christmas!

Maxwellthecat Sun 15-Jan-17 10:14:31

Hello,

I though I'd join you here. We've decided to overpay everything we can on our mortage so are in lock down!

Brightermornings Sun 15-Jan-17 10:16:42

Morning everyone welcome to the newbies. Today should be a nsd. I need washing powder but I think I'm going to go to home bargains on my way home from work tomorrow. If I go today I have lots of time to wander round looking at things. Tomorrow I need to get back as I have a fitness class at 6.15.
Yesterday's spends £5.00 at greggs whilst I waited for my mot 😩😩

stumblymonkey Sun 15-Jan-17 10:16:52

Morning...just checking in.

LSD today...DP has gone to Tesco to get essential groceries which I guess will come to £20-30. His parents are over for lunch today so making venison casserole with dumplings (venison and dumplings are from the freezer) and fruit salad (cheap).

Will as long need to pay the window cleaner who is here now....first time they've been cleaned in six months blush

Can I ask what people set aside for yourselves and DP/DH each week for spends (not including essentials like groceries and petrol?

Brightermornings Sun 15-Jan-17 10:18:40

Posted by accident.
I went out for tea with my friend she paid for the meal I paid for coffee and a small dessert £10.00.
Unfortunately I was ill when I got home 🤢 my own fault I didn't take my heartburn medication in the morning which always results in me being ill.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now