Talk

Advanced search

No spend week

(24 Posts)
TheMonkeysOnTheTable Sat 07-Jan-17 14:41:15

I'm planning on doing a no spend week starting from tomorrow. I would have started today but I've just ordered a book for dd from Amazon. I'm hoping to one no spend week every month this year - maybe a fortnight some months.
I'm not sure if there are any official rules. My rules are going to be that other than any direct debits I am only going to spend money on travelling to work and on the weekly coffee I have with a colleague (I know this sounds like a cheat but it's a long standing arrangement that I buy her a coffee on Wednesdays, and it is is the only thing she gets in return for a weekly favour she does me so I can't stop it). My fridge is well stocked and I've meal planned for the week.

MuddlingThroughMotherhood Sat 07-Jan-17 20:23:37

Oooh, op I want to join you smile

I've always thought that NSD and NSW are a bit silly as I think that if you don't buy it today then you'll just spend loads the day after but I'm starting to see that they stop the little impulse buys which I am very guilty of.

I have planned to go to Costco this week to stock up on tissues, loo roll etc, I've just written a list with prices and it comes to just under £50, I will be so happy if I stick to my list. Not buying dd more books will be the hardest part about my Costco trip, the big table of fantastic value book box sets is so hard to resist.

So, other than my Costco trip and £10 travel to work I don't need to spend anything. I have a few play dates arranged with dd but they're either at our house or friends house so no expensive soft play centre grin

frazzled74 Sat 07-Jan-17 21:37:13

I'm also having a nsw, we should post here each day to keep from cheating or giving in.

TheMonkeysOnTheTable Sun 08-Jan-17 08:02:33

Hi there frazzled It's good to have some company!

muddling I always thought the same thing, but looking though my bank statement I can see that the majority of my expendable income is spent on lots of small purchases that I neither need or even think about. I definitely need to 'retrain' myself somehow. Hopefully this will help!

I realised last night that I have run out of conditioner - couldn't be bothered to walk to the shops before my spending embargo so it is going to have to be the week of crap hair (not that anyone will notice). I think that if I run out of loo roll I will cheat and buy some more though!

We have no plans for today yet. Probably park with dd in the morning if it's not too wet and baking with her in the afternoon. Then batch cooking lunches for work. Fun day!

Good luck both of you!

MuddlingThroughMotherhood Sun 08-Jan-17 19:41:14

Hi *frazzled

Themonkey,* your a much better NSW participant than I am, I couldn't go a week without conditioner, I'd struggle to get a brush through my hair smile

I have to admit to failing on day one!!! When dd was asleep this lunchtime dh made a spreadsheet of our income and expenditure, everything was included, right down to the cats annual vaccinations. When he was inputting the data I was looking for a budgeting app for myself, not for the household expenses but just so I can see what I'm frittering money away on. Anyway, I found a really simple app which is so easy to use but there was a 79p upgrade, before I knew what I'd done I'd upgraded shock I can't believe how easily I spent money but as I am a few pounds in credit on the credit card which is linked to iTunes it isn't actually going to make a dent in my week so I'm going to try and do the rest of the week as a no spend week other than food of course.

Other than the blip above today was an easy no spend day, park and play at home this morning and visit to grandparents this afternoon.

It's my planned Costco shop tomorrow, the Costco shop doesn't count in my head as breaking a NSD as it's like the weekly food shop, it's necessary and for essentials but I only do it once a month and it just happens to be this week. I have my list, anything that's not on the list will not be purchased. Wish me luck...

Mum4Fergus Sun 08-Jan-17 20:00:36

Throwing my hat in the ring folks....DP and I have finally agreed in next steps re our housing (double storey extension) so the pressure to fund it is on. I've a fair bit of debt to work through before I can even think about borrowing again...first up is a £3k overdraft! I'm hoping to have 2 NSWs per month to help me with that...so here goes! NSD today-all meals were leftovers. Back to school/work on Tuesday so will need bread for lunches but that should be all smile

frazzled74 Sun 08-Jan-17 21:53:10

Spent £0 here today, although was at work all day so no real temptation to spend.

saltydogandme Sun 08-Jan-17 21:55:00

Great idea. I'll start with today as it was a NSD (need to get them where I can as am crap at this!!)

TheMonkeysOnTheTable Mon 09-Jan-17 19:22:08

Hi mum and salty. Welcome!
How is everyone getting on? NSD number 2 finished for me (more or less). I even got a lift in to work with a friend this morning due to the tube strike so didn't even have to pay for travel. grin
We stopped off at a clothes shop on the way home tonight and I browsed through the sale racks but want tempted by anything luckily.

Muddling - my hair is dead straight and pretty low maintenance so I should be able to manage a week with just shampoo - although I've got a few sachets of some hair mask treatment stuff I may have try out if it gets too straw like!

TheMonkeysOnTheTable Tue 10-Jan-17 20:27:27

Agghhh! It was all going so well...

£10 down today. We ran out of bin bags (exciting eh?) and DH had no cash so I gave him a tenner to get some. He bought himself a bottle of wine with the change. (Stabby emoji - especially as I'm doing dry Jan). Oh well. Have just remembered my colleague is off tomorrow so that's £5 saved on coffee and saved £3ish on travel on strike day so I guess I'm only £2 down in real terms. Must. Not. Do. It. Again. Though.

How's everyone else doing?

MuddlingThroughMotherhood Tue 10-Jan-17 21:22:41

Oh well themonkey, I guess it can't be helped and it wasn't you who bought the wine!

I succeeded in only buying what we needed from Costco, stuck to my list 100% and I look at that as essential like the weekly food shop, it's just a shame we needed to go this week. That was yesterday. Today was a true NSD, tomorrow should be too. The only thing I'm concerned about is the bread which arrived from our online shop didn't have a good date on and may not last for my sandwiches at the end of the week.

frazzled74 Tue 10-Jan-17 22:53:57

3rd nsd today, am meeting a friend for coffee tomorrow though so it will be ruined. Thought about inviting her here but that would mean getting up early and tidying up. I could also do with a hair dye as my roots are a bit neglected looking! I suppose I could spend £10 tomorrow and then have 4 more nsd? Or is that cheating?

MuddlingThroughMotherhood Fri 13-Jan-17 16:59:18

I've just caught up on this thread and noticed that not many of us are doing great with our no spend week shock myself included, today I forgot all about it and spent £1.35 on a cream cake! That's all other than what I mentioned on an earlier post so not too bad I don't think confused

TheMonkeysOnTheTable Fri 13-Jan-17 17:18:28

Hi - just on my way home from NSD number 6. Other than the £10 I gave DH I've only spent on travel this week which I'm feeling quite pleased about. DH has bought a few extra bits of food, but not much. We are not having our usual takeaway tonight and having food from the freezer instead. DH usually pays for the takeaway but NSW is rubbing off on him a bit too amazingly!

I'm feeling a bit low that it's not even half way through the month though. Pay day is in 17 days still!

What did you decide to do in the end frazzled? I think I'd be tempted to stick to the 7 days still and just leave Wednesday as a blip.

FlyingSomewhere Sun 15-Jan-17 00:11:46

You're all not doing great because it's 'forced'. Like a smoker that's convinced himself he's going to stop cold turkey by starting on XXXX date in the future. It's an addiction that you think you're going to overcome by a moment of acute yet fleeting resolve but revert back to the old ways once that feeling is gone and the reasons you're in debt in the first place comes back into play, whatever they may be. Which is why a lot of people can't make it through the day or first few days anyway.

A better way of doing it would be to calculate first what you can afford to save, then what you need to live on, then some walking-around money to fritter away. None of you are going to be able to quit cold turkey. It's going to take some time to unlearn those habits.

So for arguments sake and to keep the maths simple, you earn £100 a month.

£20 you save
£40 you live of
£20 goes on debt (if you have)
£20 goes on fritter money. Split that into daily amounts evenly and that's what you have to spend

Now you can have your No Spend day or NSW or whatever you want to call it. If you fail, just ensure you don't spend more than your daily fritter budget. If you managed to succeed, you've increased your daily limit by a small amount across the board. The more you succeed, the more that amount compounds on itself. So the main thing to take away is not so much the failure of the NSD or NSW, but ensuring that you don't breach that daily limited if you do fail.

Target yourself on increasing that overall daily spend allowance by achieving your NSD/W - not just having a NSD/W for the hell of it without integrating it into an overall financial plan. Most will end up the same position they're in, year after year. It's not unlike a yo-yo diet effect.

Anyway, good luck with the targets and all that smile

Munchkin08 Sun 15-Jan-17 11:32:56

Thank you Flying I'm going to try that.

MuddlingThroughMotherhood Sun 15-Jan-17 11:52:41

Flying This is my first ever no spend week and last night I came to realise exactly what you wrote. I'm fairly frugal anyway since meeting my dh, he is 10 years out of uni but still spends like he did when he was a student, he never wastes money so it has rubbed off on me a bit. Last night we were talking and since trying this no spend week I've done nothing but think about money and what I'm not buying! It's like when I was desperate to loose a stone of weight, I tried healthy eating and then every diet I read about. It was only when I accepted that the weight was going nowhere that within the space of 12 months I lost 2 stone and have kept it off since, I know that it's because I wasn't thinking about every calorie.

frazzled74 Sun 15-Jan-17 15:21:34

Hi, well the week is over and apart from £1.80 on a costa (used points), I succeeded.Flying, I like your idea and I think I will do that from now on. I'm going to,deal with bills and debts first, then, allow £80 per week food and essentials, £20 save, £25 rainy day savings and £25 to fritter. I like the idea of still having a nsw though as this week we have used up lots of food from freezer and cupboards that would probably have been wasted. The odd nsw could boos rainy day funds which will probably be used in school holidays etc.

FlyingSomewhere Mon 16-Jan-17 03:24:29

Glad you all find it useful. Using that method and sticking to it, it's mathematically impossible to spend more than you earn. And it also allows you to 'fail' on the odd day and still stay within budget. It's an upside down way of looking at it, other than brute-force it by pure 'will' which can't and won't last.

I can also assure you that frittering away money is only a bad habit, nothing more or less. It just needs to be unlearned. I used to be just as bad but the past 5 years or so gotten a hold of my spending. These days I don't budget at all but can tell you that last week I spent £6 on frivolous nonsense and £4.35 the week before. It's now second nature to keep mental track of spending and knowing where you are to within a £££ or two.

Good luck. And for the hell of it, I'm joining you guys on a NSW this week. Just for fun :D

JaxingJump Mon 16-Jan-17 09:19:06

I'm currently lying in a hotel room on a spa break with my sister but it's our Christmas gift to each other. I've put away the mortgage and childcare fee so that's safe. I'm trying to spend as little as possible this month to see what I have left! Just realised I've a £250 tax bill I hadn't accounted forsad I meal plan and am trying to stick to below £80/week (family of). My DSs birthday and party are this week so I spent £17 on party bag fillers. Hope to keep good and cake in the grocery budget.

Char22thom Tue 07-Feb-17 07:53:56

How is everyone getting on with it all?? x

FlyingSomewhere Fri 24-Feb-17 17:21:17

I spent about £2 since the 15th of Feb, fritter money that is. I know I'm spending about £40 next week on something I've wanted for about a year now. After that it's back to frugality!

redandwhite1 Tue 07-Mar-17 20:31:25

I wish I could do that! Impossible as I have to pay a toll charge 3 times a week!! Plus I need diesel as use more than a tank sad

NormaSmuff Wed 08-Mar-17 07:28:09

Quite a few successful days. I think DH is disappointed as he would have liked chips yesterday and the day before, hey every day is a chip shop day for DH grin
I would like to go swimming today but have to consider whether I should

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now