Talk

Advanced search

Meat from Lidl???

(27 Posts)
BlueFolly Sat 31-Dec-16 02:02:36

I am planning on living very frugally in 2917 but one thing that I struggle with is the idea of buying cheap meat. I've seen one or two posts on here about fining Aldi/Lidl meat to be off when opting the packet and it has put me right off. I also worry about welfare etc as generally buy free range organic. Don't want to eat less meat as have been successful on low carb diet grin

Anyone else found it to be OK? It certainly looks OK.

Notinmybackyard Sat 31-Dec-16 02:08:22

I haven't shopped there for a while or that regularly but I've found the meat from both shops is ok. I always check the sell by date though as it's too easy to pick up a short life product that can then go off quicker. If you only buy free range organic then your choices may be limited.

ComedyBoobs Sat 31-Dec-16 02:19:34

It might be a bit off in 900 yrs time grin

BlueFolly Sat 31-Dec-16 02:24:02

grin always plannng ahead!

Booklover123 Sat 31-Dec-16 13:21:59

I can vouch for lidl meat. They sell fresh,free range chickens for approx £5.
Their steaks are fantastic and they stock Aberdeen angus beef mince.
Sausages are very high meat content. Not sure how much is organic or free range but is definitely welfare friendly and I trust their meat far more than tescos!

sippingginandlemon Sat 31-Dec-16 14:01:33

I find Aldi meat to last much longer than Sainsbury's or Tesco. It seems to have a better favour too.

I frequently mix Waitrose and Aldi as many products are compatible in quality.

I don't buy fruit and veg or anything 'quick' e.g. Jars of stir in sauce from Aldi though as it is disappointing.
Most of their staples are high quality and I stock up when I go. I'll buy and freeze meats.

It took me years to really shop with my sense of taste and put aside what we are lead to believe by advertising.

I now have a high quality choice of ingredients that doesn't cost a fortune.

VivienneWestwoodsKnickers Sat 31-Dec-16 14:04:44

Lidl meat is excellent. It's all Red Tractor. Sometimes they do have organic free range, but rarely at my branch.

Lizsmum Sat 31-Dec-16 17:03:36

We had their duck breasts for Christmas dinner -- yummy.

NormaSmuff Sat 31-Dec-16 17:04:43

i didnt like it when i bought it, had white bits in the mince, bit off putting.

Fluffycloudland77 Sat 31-Dec-16 17:05:40

I think it's all much of a muchness unless you buy organic.

Do you have a local butcher who slaughters on site?

leccybill Sat 31-Dec-16 17:09:38

The salmon fillets are great as are the 'in the bag' chickens.
Also the bratwurst and Bahamian sausages- yum.

leccybill Sat 31-Dec-16 17:09:50

Ha- Bavarian

confusedandemployed Sat 31-Dec-16 17:11:11

Some of the best steaks I've ever had came from Lidl. Ditto free range chickens.

I always but meat as long- dated as possible, wherever I'm shopping. I've had a couple of packs of off meat, both from Lidl/Aldi and from the big 4 supermarkets.

BlueFolly Sat 31-Dec-16 17:18:48

Right - you're all giving me confidence here!

AverageJosephine Tue 03-Jan-17 02:38:35

Lidl meat is excellent. Where I live the same farms supply Lidl and M&S.

dontpokethebear Tue 03-Jan-17 02:56:24

Norma the white bits are fat. It's normal.

NormaSmuff Tue 03-Jan-17 06:52:18

oh blush

Mol1628 Tue 03-Jan-17 06:54:01

I prefer Lidl meat over the more expensive supermarkets.

Serin Sun 08-Jan-17 19:34:47

Salmon and steaks are good but OMG the mince is vile, and we only buy their "best" quality.

We have had several packs containing bone fragments (From Lidl and Tesco).

Overall much prefer Aldi.

thedcbrokemybank Sun 08-Jan-17 22:04:22

The majority of Lidl meat is British and has the Red Tractor sign on it which means it has to adhere to certain welfare standards. They also sell some organic meat.

AgainstTheOddsNo2 Sun 08-Jan-17 22:06:43

Lidl steak is amazing. I go specifically for it

Pradaqueen Sun 08-Jan-17 22:29:13

Go to waitrose/Ocado. You can buy in their 'mix and match' 3 for £10 ribeye steaks, bone in sirloins or whole chickens. 3 while chickens for £10. Not to mention chicken thighs, salmon fillets, duck legs, mince, meatballs etc- you get the drift. Birthday at ours Friday - birthday child wanted steak and chips. Fed 6 for £20 plus a bag of Maris pipers at £2. Never had an issue with the quality.

littlebillie Mon 09-Jan-17 06:26:25

Red tractor doesn't always mean uk it can also mean packed in U.K.

BratFarrarsPony Mon 09-Jan-17 06:29:54

LIDL meat is fine, have never found it to be off when I opened it. And I used to be all snobby about cheap meat. When I could afford to be...grin

BoroTomo Mon 09-Jan-17 09:56:23

The Red Tractor logo definitely means that the food must be 100% British. That means born, grown and processed all in the UK.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now