Talk

Advanced search

Water on rateable value not water meter

(14 Posts)
2015mom Sun 13-Nov-16 21:33:05

Hey I am looking at ways of reducing my bills. I am stuck with water because we are on rateable value and I will not change to water meter because it will be more expensive because I have two little ones and they have baths everyday.

On rateable value it doesn't matter how much water I use as I will be charged the exact same amount each month.

Water saving devices are only worthwhile getting to save the environment and saving on water that way but it will not affect my bills.

Has anybody been able to reduce their water bills on rateable value?

PberryT Sun 13-Nov-16 21:38:35

In short no. Rateable value is usually cheaper than a meter. There's no other way to reduce your bill apart from trying a meter.

How much is it?

DrDreReturns Sun 13-Nov-16 21:42:20

We went onto a meter about five years ago and it has worked out cheaper for us by about £200 a year - we've got two kids.
Would your kids be happy having showers instead? They use loads less water. Modern toilets are also a lot more efficient.

2015mom Sun 13-Nov-16 21:42:37

It's only £27 a month but it's the one expense I have been unable to reduce and I was just wondering if there was a way

It's nothing compared to other bills

princessconsuelabannahammock Sun 13-Nov-16 21:44:46

We are a family of four and have lots of baths, showers etc and have just switched to a water meter as we are hoping it will be cheaper than rateable value. We have a year to decide if it is, if not we can switch back.

We live in an expensive water area but we did an online checker and that was confirmed with our water company that we should be better off my £10 or so a month. We will see however! My friend in similar circs reckons her water bill halved by going on a meter.

We live in a pricey area so maybe that affects the cost? I.e cheaper area makes water meters less appealing?

WordGetsAround Sun 13-Nov-16 21:45:22

I think it depends how much water you use, but within the context of your house. If you have a 5 bed and 2 children bathing daily, meter would almost certainly be cheaper than their fixed rate. If you have a 1 bed flat with 2 children bathing every day, rateable would be cheaper.

princessconsuelabannahammock Sun 13-Nov-16 21:45:54

£27 a month is a bargain ours in rateable value was £92!😢😢😢

2015mom Sun 13-Nov-16 21:48:59

Yeah we have two children so family of four with three bedrooms so I doubt very much water meter would save us money. I have seen the 12 month trial period.

But in the long run I think it's better for us to stay with rateable value.

Eventually we will have another child so I honestly think sticking with rateable value is best for us

2015mom Sun 13-Nov-16 21:50:13

Wow £92 a month!!! That is a lot each month

We live in an expensive area but surprisingly we only pay £27 a month for qater

JustWantToBeDorisAgain Sun 13-Nov-16 21:56:25

Good god!!! I would bite your hand off for £27 / month ours was £68 / month for a band a property ( not in London or anywhere near!) we have move and now have the watersure scheme.

2015mom Sun 13-Nov-16 22:14:49

Wow £68 seems like a lot

princessconsuelabannahammock Sun 13-Nov-16 22:17:30

Yes £92 a month is ridiculous and no I don't live in a mansion! I do live in the most expensive water area in the UK. Our metered bills are only likely to be £10 a month less. Aside from bathing in the river I have no idea how to reduce the cost.

Fluffycloudland77 Mon 14-Nov-16 15:19:50

Ours is £15 a month on a metre. We run the dw daily & Dh likes a deep bath everyday.

You can't reduce it though unless you have a child with a medical condition that requires lots of water like skin conditions.

JugglingMum17 Fri 28-Apr-17 22:00:16

Thank you for your input.

Yes I have learnt that you cannot reduce the cost because it depends on the area. Unless you get a water meter which is only worthwhile doing if you have fewer people than no of Bedrooms.

A water meter would increase our water bill because we have four people in the house and 3 bedrooms plus I have two children under the age of 2 and they have a bath everyday so a water meter would be extortionate for us

But now I think £27 per month is great after comparing to others

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now