Have yourself a frugal little Christmas!

(10 Posts)
malificent7 Tue 25-Oct-16 20:44:43

Christmas can be really expensive so can we all share tips please?

Mine are so far:

I start buying gifts, food and drink in September and buy one stocking filler or gift per week so that the cost is spread out.

I buy as much as possible from Lidl. Their xmas pudding is legendary. One Christmas we compared it with a posh one from M and S. The Lidl pud won. Will try Black Friday sales.

Will try to do craft and make decorations and gifts.

More ideas please!

Notreallyhappy Tue 25-Oct-16 22:30:47

I save £20 every week which pays for presents for our dc(3)- parents & each other.
No gifts for anyone over 20 years old.
Save up all tesco club card vouchers which buy any food & wine we need.
Menu plan that you'll be eating cold meats for weekgrin so don't go overboard on food.
Not filling the house with 6 tins of sweets & 6 boxes of after eights that your still eating at easter
No new decorations unless something is damaged, I still have things that ds made in year 4.
Any snacks, mince pies etc are homemade.
Probably not frugal but affordable in planning.

Mum4Fergus Wed 26-Oct-16 09:24:26

Agree the planning is key...only DS and I, DP will be working/away the main Festive period...Christmas Day dinner usually at Mum's so it's the snacks/goodies I have to cut back on. I have an annual savings plan through payroll that pays out in the December payrun so don't budget per say as this covers everything and more...the challenge is I don't get it til 16/17 Dec!

Crystal15 Wed 26-Oct-16 09:32:15

Oooh please can I join. So far I've got most presents and I've been buying bits of none perishable foods weekly. Just got to sort presents and stocking for DH, find funds for the big food shop and we go on holiday December before Xmas too.

BiddyPop Wed 26-Oct-16 10:31:54

I almost never buy the big tins of biscuits or boxes of sweets. (Except a tub of scots clan - which we eat over the course of a few months).

Instead, I make sure I have a good few packets of nice biscuits that we like, a few different types, and open a few of those to make a nice selection on the plate. And as I keep them in a proper airtight box, they stay fresh. If we have loads of visitors, we open more, and if we have fewer, we only open 2 or 3 - and we will get through those over maybe a fortnight even without help. But we don't then overindulge on them.

Not exactly frugal - but we do buy 1 bag with about €10 worth of Leonidas orangettes as a family treat. We all love those, but we don't then get a load of other chocs etc, as they wouldn't be eaten. So we probably spend about the same, but get something we really enjoy as a treat, and don't see the same results on our waistlines if we'd bought big tubs of Roses or QS.

I have HM mincemeat maturing in a large jar, and have been saving old jam jars to pot it up in a few weeks. Some of that will go in hampers for presents. I am planning on adding some mulled wine sachets to that, which I make using large packs of spices from the Asian Supermarket, and use more of those for a hamper for someone else big into their food so nice spice mixes (for curries, pulau rice etc) are very well received.

Some years I am good at crafting presents - 1 year, all 8 Aunts and Uncles each got a different scarf that I knitted (colours and stitch patterns suited to each), and I've done things like sewn tree decorations from scraps and a few decorative elements which look fab (I keep the ribbon that clothes labels are often attached with and use those for small items like these), and give a handful as a gift to some people. Time has been against me though for the past few years, and I have a stash of raw materials in the corner shaming me....

I do tend to put money into savings for the big food shop. The €2 stamps on the card, which most supermarkets give you a final stamp for if you fill it (it costs €98 to fill but you get €100 to spend) - it may not be much but 2 of those are a help. And I save my points/money off vouchers as well. My big food shop is as much about restocking cupboards that I run down in the autumn though, to clear out old stocks, and take advantage of many special offers (% extra free, BOGOFs, etc) on things I would buy anyway. So it's always great to stock up with enough mayonnaise to get midway through summer BBQ season, and ketchup to deal with winter's oven chips dinners, and lots of jars of sweet'n'sour sauce for quick midweek dinners rather than leftover turkey solutions.

The aspect of my food shopping that doesn't fit that is the baking cupboard, as I tend to restock that in the autumn when the pre-Christmas baking specials are on.

Mum4Fergus Wed 26-Oct-16 10:51:45

Thankfully my whole family (granted there is only around 17 of us) jointly agreed a few years ago that we only buy for the kids...so now down to 2, my DS and my nephew - saves a fortune! Any adults attending the Christmas Day dinner, usually at Mum's, is expected to contribute by way if part of the meal, usually a dessert from me cake

Chottie Thu 27-Oct-16 05:59:05

Remembering what I bought food wise and did not use last Christmas and not buying it again!

I save odd cash throughout the year and have about £250 to go towards the food. We are having a relaxed Christmas this year with just stockings and one present each. I only have a small family and buy 10 presents.

ememem84 Sun 30-Oct-16 09:22:38

We are hosting Christmas this year. For 6 maybe 7 people.

I need to buy presents for each person (parents sister and bro in law and dh). We need food. We need drinks.

I am planning on doing the bulk of it next week. Well the present part anyway.

I've made a list of things I want to get. So will stick to it

northender Sun 30-Oct-16 20:11:08

I write down what I spend money on, set a budget & then stick to it. I love the challenge of leftovers and so the Christmas meats last us for several days. I'm hoping to finish present shopping by the end of November so December will be all about baking, cooking and crafty things that the dc (15 & 12) will be involved with. Trying to keep away from all the materialistic marketing is hard but helps to manage expectations.

throwingpebbles Fri 11-Nov-16 21:39:15

I have been scouring second hand selling sites/ website deals etc for months to find bargains the kids will love. The gems are rare but worth the effort

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now