Advanced search

does anyone know what happens to tax credits/ housing benefit etc, when offspring goes to university?

(12 Posts)
NoahVale Mon 18-Jul-16 06:37:57

are we in for another shocker as we try and support offspring who is away from home?

NoahVale Mon 18-Jul-16 06:38:19

do i have to tell tax credit/housing benefit people ?

TheDrsDocMartens Mon 18-Jul-16 07:10:03

Yes you have to tell them. Tax credits stop anyway at 18/post school.

pinkieandperkie Mon 18-Jul-16 07:12:56

Yes you have to tell them. When my ds left college I assumed that the tax credits people would know as I had previously given them the course dates etc but they don't just stop the payments and then I had to pay back a few months worth

NoahVale Mon 18-Jul-16 07:15:19

i normally have to remind them that Yes, they Are in continuing education, so I guess they assume she isnt. but, good idea, come August/September I will have to make sure

Justlikefire Mon 18-Jul-16 07:16:32

It's renewal time isn't it so do it now.

NoahVale Mon 18-Jul-16 07:22:56

oh good point,I must also renew

raspberryrippleicecream Mon 18-Jul-16 12:31:55

My renewal already states no DS from 31 August

Lessstressedhemum Mon 18-Jul-16 13:33:51

As soon as DC enter tertiary education, tax credits stop regardless of age, so that would be HNC, HND, degree level or the equivalent things in BTec. You have to tell them every year after a child turns 16 about their education or payments will automatically stop anyway.

moonsky Mon 18-Jul-16 13:38:12

We got an extra 20 weeks CTC by getting DS to register with our local Connexions after his college course finished.

FretYeNotAllIsShiny Mon 18-Jul-16 13:43:43

Re Housing benefits, if your child leaving puts you into the under-occupied and eligible for bedroom tax, you can appeal that, write to them and state they will be returning home in the holidays. You definitely need to state that exactly or they get pissy with you and put down they've just moved out. (I speak from experience). Tax credits and child benefit for them stops, but they don't pay council tax.

If they return home, don't claim anything and have no money coming in, housing benefit might hit you with a non-dependent reduction, so you pay for the fecker to live at home for nothing (I speak from experience again).

NoahVale Mon 18-Jul-16 17:27:47

thanks for that info.
we wont be under-occupied, unless DS also moves out, officially. but yes, I will bear in mind that I need to inform them that they will be back for the long holidays

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now