Talk

Advanced search

Entertaining yourself and kids at the weekend

(8 Posts)
BagPusscatnip Wed 13-Jul-16 15:08:09

What do you do to entertain yourself and children at the weekends, that doesn't involve spending a shed load of money? I am trying to budget and manage my money effectively and I have realised that most of mine and DH's excess cash is going on things we do at the weekend. Everything seems to cost money!

Any tips would be gratefully received

EchidnaPorcupine Wed 13-Jul-16 15:14:18

How old are children?

Mine are 4 and 6, so might not be relevant to you but things we do include:

- going out to practice riding bikes (yes bikes cost ££ but once you've got them it's free!)
- free museum nearby
- picnic lunch in park
- library
- swimming (not free but we have an annual membership and go every week which works out quite cheap)
- 'exploring' walks - we just head out somewhere and I let them stop whenever they want and pick up whatever crap they want to collect - they're still at an age where pinecones and stones are fun
- baking

There is a good thread somewhere - in this topic I think - about low ££ things to do for summer hols - lots of new ideas to me and creative things, I'll see if I can find to link.

BagPusscatnip Wed 13-Jul-16 15:15:43

Sorry, DDs are 4 and a half and 2 and a half.

EchidnaPorcupine Wed 13-Jul-16 15:15:52

summer hols ideas thread

kimlo Wed 13-Jul-16 15:16:28

Cinema childrens club, slightly older films but £1.20 a ticket.

EchidnaPorcupine Wed 13-Jul-16 15:18:33

Oh for younger kids I always found water good - used to give them bowls of bubbly water to wash toys or splash in and out of, or water the garden/pots. Plus we used to do lots of painting outside when they were littler and too messy to have inside splashing paint around - did paint in spray bottles and footprints and things.

Or chalks on pavement/patio

BagPusscatnip Wed 13-Jul-16 15:19:03

Thank you EchidnaPorcupine

BrandNewAndImproved Wed 13-Jul-16 15:22:32

National trust places. My mum bought me and the dc a pass for Christmas and it's great. I take my own coffee and cakes/sandwiches to save money.

If we don't go to a nt place we go on bike rides or to the park. My dc are also old enough to play out with their friends and leave me in peace to read a book.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now