Talk

Advanced search

Is there an alternative to YNAB yet?

(8 Posts)
RattieOfCatan Sat 02-Jul-16 15:23:02

With support for the desktop, non online version being withdrawn from the end of the year and the new one being not as good, has anybody found a good alternative? We use YNAB religiously but I have no desire to switch to their online version!

lougle Sat 02-Jul-16 15:34:21

I haven't had any issue with the online version. It doesn't seem that different to me after the first couple of weeks of using it.

RattieOfCatan Sat 02-Jul-16 17:07:52

I really wasn't a fan of it at all, it just didn't have the same functionality and I really resent paying a subscription for something that hasn't got half as many features as the desktop version. And I really hate the idea of it all being online, much prefer it to be on my PC on a downloadable piece of software!

Ana121212 Sun 03-Jul-16 18:50:20

I use Geltbox money -automatic download from any website (banks,cerdit cards) , high level of security (Your financial data is securely stored and encrypted only in your personal computer),When using Geltbox you don't need to give your banking account numbers and passwords to a third party!

Iamnotanugget Fri 08-Jul-16 13:08:06

I use Good Budget. I use the free version and that's enough for us, you can upgrade for a charge. Dh & I both have it on our phones, I occasionally use it on the laptops. No need to provide any bank details. I'very never used YNAB as this does all we need.

BG2015 Sun 31-Jul-16 07:00:18

Recent convert to YNAB. I've only used the new version so can't compare to the previous one. I think it's great and from what I can gather they will be rolling out all the features the previous one had, eventually.

tribpot Sun 31-Jul-16 07:22:33

They have increased the features in new YNAB recently, I noticed they've now got manual import of bank statements working, for example, and I think it's now possible to import your existing YNAB4 budget/history?

I intend to keep using YNAB 4 until it breaks. The initial problem will probably be a change to the Dropbox API, meaning I will have to revert to the legacy way of importing from the app and won't be able to maintain the budget on two different laptops, unless I can convince it that OneDrive is a local drive, perhaps.

I've got MoneyWiz, Jumsoft and Moneywell on my list to investigate when I do need to look around. In addition an open source budgeting tool based on YNAB-like principles is being built albeit progress is very slow. I keep meaning to see how much I can build in Excel as a lower-tech alternative.

AwayAwayAway Fri 02-Sep-16 11:57:56

I'm going to try some of these other app suggestions. I don't want to pay a subscription, I just want an app to help me plan ahead so I don't into muddles.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now