Advanced search

Moving from Tax credits to Universal credit

(5 Posts)
DrHarleenFrancesQuinzel Fri 01-Jul-16 17:19:02

So I have just been made redundant. Fine fair enough. Shit happens.

Anyway I currently get Child tax credits. We would have been entilited to income support (due to DS getting DLA), but now our area is covered by universal credit for new claimants so we have to apply for universal credit. Im worried that my tax credits are going to stop now and I wont get any money until mid August. Is this true? Or do tax credits continue until I get a payment from universal credit?

I have enough to cover bills for the month and a credit card (which Id rather not use), but nothing to buy food if the Tax credits stop.

Disclaimer - Im obviously looking for a job in the mean-time, but it doesnt necessarily mean I'll get one too quickly.

AveEldon Sat 02-Jul-16 15:30:04

Have they told you it's got to be a new claim?
I would expect you are just updating your existing claim with your change of circumstances

DrHarleenFrancesQuinzel Sat 02-Jul-16 15:47:53

Yes we filled out an income support claim and was told it had to be universal credits as it was a new claim. We weren't claiming income support before, just tax credits, but without any wages these aren't enough to pay the rent let alone bills and food etc.

KateSpade Sat 09-Jul-16 16:14:54

I'm sorry to be the barer of bad news but Universal Credits is a huge pile of wank Shite,

Your first payment is around 5 weeks after you first apply, however you can request an advance of £200.00, which is then taken off your money st around £50 each time.

I was switched to universal credits almost a year ago & it's awful, I'm so much worse off, im talking nearly £300.00 a month,

Good luck!

lauriejohnston Fri 19-Aug-16 11:54:35

Message deleted by MNHQ. Here's a link to our Talk Guidelines.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now