Talk

Advanced search

Expensive products you can ALWAYS get cheaper somewhere else

(20 Posts)
confusedandemployed Mon 06-Jun-16 15:47:27

I buy a few branded items (not that many, I'm not known for my brand loyalty) but I've noticed that they are available 99% of the time in Home Bargains, Farm Foods etc for a fraction of the price that they usually cost in Tesco, Asda,Sainsbury:

Douwe Egbert's instant coffee - £6.50 in Tesco, always £3.99 in FF
Oral B Pro Expert toothpaste - up to £3.75 in Tesco, always £1.99 Home Bargains
Pom Bears £1.80 Tesco, £1 HBs
Nivea roll on deodorant min £2 Tesco, £1 HBs.

I'm sure there are more I buy but I'd love to hear of any other sneaky Bargains...

YouAreMyRain Mon 06-Jun-16 15:55:02

Are all the packages the same size, containing the same number of grams/ml?

confusedandemployed Mon 06-Jun-16 17:51:42

Yes exactly the same. I check each time.

Is it just me then?! grin

chanie44 Mon 06-Jun-16 19:37:24

I buy 20 kitchen scourer sponges for £1 in Iceland - they are £1.50 in tesco.

KP86 Mon 06-Jun-16 19:40:41

Snacks in Poundland for £1 which are always more in the supermarkets. Alpen and other granola bars, mini cheddars, those fruit pillow bars.

Cleaning products, same thing. Bleach spray, Harpic etc.

bearofnothingness Mon 06-Jun-16 19:41:59

i buy all household products in shops like wilkos or savers. it's mad to pay the extra tesco etc charge. The worse is waitrose, I don't get why anyone would pay the price they charge for branded goods.

Grumpyoldblonde Tue 07-Jun-16 08:22:35

Boots is expensive, I rarely shop there when I can usually buy the same thing in Wilko, Superdrug or Tesco. I always check on 'My supermarket' If I need to buy the things that bump up the shopping bill, so, coffee, toothpaste, cleanser, gin (!) and make a point of going to the cheapest place. Savers is good for cleaning stuff and shampoo/conditioner.

NoahVale Sun 12-Jun-16 07:59:49

poundland is good for snacks, however I do end up spending more than I should

EssexMummy1234 Fri 24-Jun-16 20:33:32

sorry - Douwe Egbert's instant coffee - £6.50 in Tesco wtf? tesco do excellent instant coffee for less than £2

delilahbucket Mon 01-Aug-16 14:03:41

I get toiletries and cleaning stuff in Wilko. The price does vary but I stock up when cheap. I buy our kenco on Amazon. Our washing powder always comes from home bargains where it's half the price of supermarkets.

ginghamstarfish Wed 23-Nov-16 12:06:11

Second this. Also buy Oral B Pro Expert, and Oral B floss is 79p in HB compared to 1.99 or more elsewhere.

maggiethemagpie Sat 03-Dec-16 18:59:57

Most high end cosmetics/ skin care can be bought cheaper on ebay, I always insist on tubes being sealed though and don't buy things that could have been used without it being obvious, such as lip gloss.

I haven't had any noticeable problems with fakes yet, so I've either been very lucky or the fakers are very good!

Buying sample/trial sizes that the beauty counters seem desperate to give away with purchases seems to help.

Eg Elemis do a face cream for £80 for 50ml so I bought a small pot and fill it up with 15ml tubes which cost around £5-10

PrettySophisticated Sat 03-Dec-16 19:07:54

I think poundland is often expensive. Things for £1 there that would be 99p in the supermarket, or e.g. £1.20 but on 3 for 2 etc.

needmoregin Mon 23-Jan-17 16:02:08

I have just discovered you can get large Yankee candles ( not the best fragrances though ) in B&M stores for under a tenner was lucky to find three stoney cove ones last week keeping those for Xmas stocking fillers.

specialsubject Tue 24-Jan-17 16:57:08

anything sold in Lakeland or Boots. And quite often anything on Amazon.

Badders123 Sun 29-Jan-17 17:48:13

Amazon is pretty good I've found
But not for everything
An example...
Boots - Nivea face cream £11.99
Amazon - same thing £4.99 and next day free delivery
I tend to get cleaning products etc from aldi/home bargains/Poundland

SleepingBooty Sun 29-Jan-17 17:53:12

Always go to Bodycare for toiletries, I don't go to Home bargains and B&M enough but they are good for branded stuff discounted.

Esspee Tue 31-Jan-17 20:16:16

I use Preference hair colouring and check the price on my supermarket as there is always one store with it a couple of pounds less. I bought Vanish carpet cleaner aerosol for £2 off using my supermarket at the weekend replacing the one that saved my beautiful silver grey carpet from the red wine DBil managed to spill on it.(that miracle deserves it's own thread)
Save a lot of money buying cleaning stuff in Lidl. (Especially recommend their liquid detergent). I can't understand people who seem happy to pay inflated prices for the same product.

Doingmybestmum Wed 01-Feb-17 08:37:22

I second B&M - for fire logs, kindling and reconstituted logs and Wilco for picture frames etc

specialsubject Wed 01-Feb-17 10:07:58

Nivea cream is £1 in wilko or home bargains.

That said, I dont buy from amazon for all the obvious reasons.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now