Changing energy supplier

(5 Posts)
Karcheer Tue 26-Apr-16 20:12:29

We are on a standard rate with our current supplier.

Just used the calculator on mse and by changing I could save a third of what I'm paying but the supplier although well known has a rating of 76% poor.
The next best is £300 less of a saving, not a brand I know but 62% great rating.

Thoughts on who I should go with?

Thank you.

jimpam Tue 26-Apr-16 20:21:42

The cheapest supplier for you depends on various factors including your postcode. Generally speaking the cheapest will be a dual fuel tariff, online account, paid by monthly direct debit. Most suppliers offer a fixed rate tariff where they guarantee unit prices for a certain length of time, can be a good idea as you are protect from price rises in that period but unit price wouldn't be the cheapest initially. You can also get tarriffs where a certain percentage goes to charity or green energy initiatives if you are so inclined. From a customer service point of view, I have personally had terrible experiences with NPower but really like E-On. I used to work for an energy supplier (neither of the ones I mentioned above), it was exceedingly dull but has at least left me quite clued up about our bills smile

specialsubject Tue 26-Apr-16 22:33:02

If you are on a standard tariff you are overpaying, but do check those savings with a calculator. Otherwise they are all the same and at least a big supplier might compensate you if they do mess up the bills.

Fluffycloudland77 Wed 27-Apr-16 15:22:02

For an extra £300 saving I'd risk it.

If you set up a new account with accurate meter readings what's the worst they can do?.

You only have to stay 10.5 months if you're on a fixed rate tariff anyway. They let you switch 49 days before its up without penalties.

concertplayer Sat 14-May-16 10:02:56

I think once you do this to make the most you need to be changing each time
a deal comes to an end A bit tedious I mean these companies know what people are
up to BUT according to Which MOST people are paying too much.

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now