Talk

Advanced search

Is meat at Lidl good quality?

(18 Posts)
didi038 Tue 12-Apr-16 14:56:26

Hi everyone,

I saw a Part Boned British Lamb Shoulder on promotion at Lidl for £8.99/kg as part of their Greek week. I really love Greek food so I had a look in my local store in Hackney. The olives I bought were good but I hesitated buying meat at Lidl. It says it is British, but I can hardly belief it is high quality..

Who of you has bought meat at Lidl? Is it really as good as they claim?

Thanks for helping out! It would be great for a Sunday roast.

Love
Didi

MushroomMama Tue 12-Apr-16 14:58:16

I actually find lidl meat better quality than sainsburys they also sell 80% meat sausages for £2 too smile

We buy steak,burgers and chicken and occasionally sausages never had an issue

EssentialHummus Tue 12-Apr-16 15:00:03

I buy steak and sausages there and prefer it to Sainsbury's.

didi038 Tue 12-Apr-16 15:01:23

Thanks MushroomMama!
It sometimes hard to believe because they are so cheap.

BagpussOhSagpuss Wed 13-Apr-16 11:47:10

I get most of my meat there. It's nearly all British, and I have always found it to be great quality, especially the big joints of beef when they are on offer.
The sausages are good and it's brilliant for cured meats, salamis etc.
Need to keep a bit of an eye on the veg though, can sometimes be a bit dodgy.

willconcern Wed 13-Apr-16 11:48:11

I buy most of my meat there too. Never had an issue with any of it.

FuckyNell Wed 13-Apr-16 11:49:38

I bloody love lidl

MushroomMama Wed 13-Apr-16 16:52:42

I guess lidl have less overheads no fancy shop displays etc so they can have better food maybe?

serin Wed 13-Apr-16 20:18:57

Hmm...I love their salmon fillets but twice I have found flecks of bone in their best quality mince shock and have had a pork fillet that was as tough as an old badger.

I guess the quality varies, I really don't like their sausages but the bacon medallions are nice enough. Some of the ham and salami are great but the family packs of sliced chicken are vile and swimming in some sort of liquid.

Pollyputhtekettleon Fri 15-Apr-16 07:45:44

I heard from a decent source where I love that the same steak supplier does the lidl and m&s steaks. The lidl rib eyes are top quality so I always stock up on them for the freezer.

helensburgh Fri 15-Apr-16 07:49:42

I've had not great experiences of their chicken. Both times I've bought it's been off.
Also found bone in their mince.
I want it to be better. I'd rather pay more for better quality and eat less meat then Lidlington neat. Just me maybe

Hellywelly10 Sat 30-Apr-16 13:46:28

I have found the steak has been hit and miss. Lamb chops are lovely, chicken is fine fish is good and deliver meats are excellent. I am devoted to lidl, there ranges have really expanded over the years.

LittleCandle Sat 30-Apr-16 13:57:42

We haven't had a problem with anything we've bought from Lidl. Their fish pie packs are great, the chicken is fab, likewise turkey breasts, lamb chops, pork and beef roasts. I have also been told from a reliable source that M&S use the same suppliers as Lidl.

monet24 Mon 02-May-16 17:20:53

I have never had a problem with any of their meat. Prefer it to Aldi meat. Their steak is half the price of tesco and nicer. Husband is a chef and will only buy from there when he buys the meat. Give it a try

P1nkP0ppy Mon 02-May-16 17:27:03

I love Lidless meat and fish, no problems experienced at all.
I think it's superior quality and taste to Sainsbury's meat/fish and much cheaper.

OneMagnumisneverenough Mon 02-May-16 17:55:16

Probably depends on your area. I know near me the same supplier supplies meat to Lidl, aldi, Waitrose and Sainsbury's so effectively it's the same meat. I don't shop in Lidl or Aldi though so I have no way of confirming the quality.

NapoleonsNose Mon 02-May-16 17:57:57

The steak is fab, free range chickens are around a fiver and the premium sausages are good too. Love Lidl!

Notstayingup Mon 02-May-16 18:46:47

I have found bone in their sausages twice - so now steer clear of the processed meats, but their rib-eyes are very nice IMO

Join the discussion

Join the discussion

Registering is free, easy, and means you can join in the discussion, get discounts, win prizes and lots more.

Register now